main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OS announces return of OT character

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Jedi_Master201, Apr 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soothsayer

Soothsayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    The characters from the OT mentioned above all fit real nicely w/ the exception of Boba Fett. I love the Chewbacca character, but i really do not need to know anything more about him. Episode III already has so much left to answer that i just do not see how putting him in is worth it.

However, I could be wrong and love what is done.

2. Porkins_Dietician

Porkins_Dietician Jedi Master star 1

Jan 16, 2002
    Not blaming this thread or Jedi_Master201 for its creation but TFN for posting chewies name on the main screen. Figuring I already unfortunately knew now that he would be in it, I would jump in here and see what everyone had to say.

I don't want to go into hiding this early, but this is the kind of stuff I would like to avoid if possible and if the OS is going to release it so readily then I may just have to do so. It is almost pointless for me however since I will attend CIII no matter its location, but any little tidbits that I could save as a suprise would be welcome.

Nobody has discussed the obvious yet which suprises me, please George leave Han out of this. Does anyone want to see a teenage solo running around?

Best scenario, as mentioned before, IMO is that Kasyyyk is shown Chewie is one of many enslaved wookies, a little zoom in on camera the all knowing growl, fade to next planet.

I don't think Chewie knows obi or luke or anyone else from the PT, Obi-Wan seemed to have a rapport with Bo Shek as well but something tells me we won't see him in epIII (don't put it past George though) he was just looking for a pilot.

Am I against it? Nah the fanboy in me is going to love it, as long as its handled right. Congrats Peter!

3. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I can't say I'm thrilled that the information was thrown around so freely, policy or not, but it's done now. Thankfully it's nothing too major.

Back to the topic of Chewie himself...we know (at least from EU, I guess) that Kashyyyk was captured by the Empire and the Wookiees were used as slave labour. Han Solo later freed Chewbacca from this fate and escaped from the Imperial Academy. Providing we see the Empire itself rise to power in the movie, it's entirely possible that we see the fall of Kashyyyk. Chewbacca would fit quite easily into this scene, if only for a short period of time.

4. Apophis

Apophis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    What the hell !!!
    I'm avoiding this type of things!
    If you can't be safe in the NON-SPOILER area ...

5. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    While Han and Chewie usually come as a pair, I don't think that's something we'll see in Ep. III. Han is 11 years older than Luke and Leia, so he cannot be older than that in Ep. III. At that point in his life, Han didn't know Chewie, so I would be 99% sure we won't see Han. How hard would it be to cast a young Han Solo? They did it for Indiana Jones, but I just can't imagine a young Han.

But back to the topic at hand, I think seeing the fall of Kashyyyk could be very interesting. And while that seems like the more logical place we'll see Chewie, George could have something entirely different up his sleeve...

6. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm very pleased with the annoucement of this. Chewie is terrific. I just hope Chewbacca isn't CG in any part of the movie and that Peter does the role in the costume for the whole movie.

7. Porkins_Dietician

Porkins_Dietician Jedi Master star 1

Jan 16, 2002
    I can't imagine ILM wanting to take on the task of laying in all that fur digitally when the costume will do just fine. Peter Mayhew will play the role and baring Chewie doing any barrel rolls out of a two story window or swinging from the trees of Kasyyyk I don't think we will see any CGI Chewie.

8. Twelve_Motion

Twelve_Motion Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    I'm fine with Chewie being in Eppy 3 I guess. I don't think Chewbacca would have a place in the complex story of Eppy 3, so I think it might be something really small. But if it's really small, you have to ask what the point of it was. So, I don't know. Maybe at some point it switches to different planets coming under the control of the Empire. And in one such shot it shows the Wookies battling the clones and getting rounded up or something. But I'm cool with it, as long as George doesn't over do it.

9. augusto

augusto Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    Can't wait to see the CG Chewie.

10. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    CG Chewie. I think I'd lose my mind...or my lunch.;)

Anyway, just thinking about Kashyyyk - you know how GL loves parallels, right?

Well, I just hope that Kashyyyk isn't featurely prominently in Episode III like Endor was in ROTJ, and that GL is setting up a sort of reverse-Ewok situation.

After all, the Ewoks are basically Wookiees chopped into thirds. And what better way to show the power of the Empire than having the Wookiees fight and get completely dominated?

11. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I'd love to see Kashyyyk featured in Episode 3 :)

12. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    Firstly can I just say to those complaining that its official policy that anything from the TOS is NOT a spoiler so quit the whining. TFN should have put the headline a little differently yes but still the TOS is official.

Anyway just adding to my view earlier I was actually talking about Chewie's cameo.
    I'm not sure how to take it but to be honest I'll see what happens.
    And to those complaining about Chewie's inclusion, its Lucas' movie and he can obviously add Chewie in there.

13. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Well JKBurtola,

the whole point here is that we may be whining, but we're trying to do it constructively.;)

We are ALL AWARE of the spoiler policies in place; the point is that maybe they should be revised because this is the type of information that most people on this board would consider spoilerish.

14. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    After having read through the "spoiler definition" in the Rules thread, I think this forum should be renamed to:

Episode III - Only confirmed spoilers allowed :p

In my view, a spoiler posted on the OS is still a spoiler. A spoiler in a Select pic is still a spoiler. A spoiler uttered by a member of the cast or crew is still a spoiler.
    It is the nature of the information that is significant, not the source.

15. suineme

suineme Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2000
    Maybe Episode 3 will take place right around "Life Day" and we will see Chewie's family.

16. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Let's hope not suineme after what we all saw in the Star Wars Holiday Special. Once was enough.

17. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    And maybe Jefferson Starship?

We got N'Sync in AOTC!

18. mtmaccormack

mtmaccormack Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    I think showing Chewbacca in shackles would be great. He was in shackles in Ep IV and again in VI, both times as a charade to rescue someone (Leia then Han). It would shed more light on his reaction to Luke trying to shackle him in Ep IV. Maybe Anikan goes back to Tatooine to free all the slaves and he will free Chewbacca! That'd be awesome - how ironic. Freeing his future enemy.

19. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Firstly can I just say to those complaining that its official policy that anything from the TOS is NOT a spoiler so quit the whining. TFN should have put the headline a little differently yes but still the TOS is official.

Now I understand why some of my friends avoid even this forum. :p ;)

20. JKBurtola

Feb 4, 2003
    We are ALL AWARE of the spoiler policies in place; the point is that maybe they should be revised because this is the type of information that most people on this board would consider spoilerish.

Well its a little too late for that.
    And why should the same spoiler policies that have been around since (correct me if I'm wrong) TPM's production?
    Just because you may consider the TOS info as spoilers doesn't mean that TFN should or those who've been spoiler free for the previous 2 movies.

The real issue is that the TOS itself made a slip on giving out that info. Don't blame the TFN policy, it doesn't need to be re-assessed.

If you didn't want to know any info from the OS then you shouldnt be here frankly.

21. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "The fact is Chewie has no relationship to any of the PT characters, so if Lucas wants to work him into the story, he's going to have to jump through hoops like you wouldn't believe. The outcome of an effort like that usually isn't a positive addition to the film."

You know, I can't help but chuckle at aall the people who would have liked Obi-wan to actually recognize the Millenium Falcon ("You've never heard of the Millenium Falcon?", "Should I have?") Considering how easily Obi-wan approached Chewie in the cantina in ANH, I'm guessing that they may have a passing acquaintance, at the very least. (In no way am I implying, however, that Chewie had the Falcon at this time.)

"He seemed to know him in ANH."

Exactly. Remember, the wookies hate the Empire. At the very least, they could have met briefly while resisting the Emperor (EU not withstanding.) They casually recognize each other in the Cantina (or at least Obi-wan recognizes Chewie) and work something out. Who else is going to walk up to an eight-foot wookie and ask for a ride?

22. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I think showing Chewbacca in shackles would be great. He was in shackles in Ep IV and again in VI, both times as a charade to rescue someone (Leia then Han). It would shed more light on his reaction to Luke trying to shackle him in Ep IV.

Excellent idea you have there. Well done. It certainly makes sense ;)

23. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I too like the shackles idea, and it totally fits with Lucas' theme of parallels.

Burtola, we're talking about maybe adjusting the spoiler policies here. This is supposed to be a non-spoiler forum.

And theforce.net's headline was basically: C3P0, R2-D2, and CHEWBACCA IN EPISODE III!

Thanks for the subtlety.

I know that after a certain point I will have to leave this forum because I want to be unspoiled as possible. I didn't think it would happen in 2003; maybe not until the end of 2004.

I just think that people should have the option to speculate on things without being spoiled.

If the OS reveals the entire plot of Episode III, when exactly Anakin becomes Vader, how Mace dies, how Dooku dies, and we can all talk about it in the non-spoiler forum, what's the point of the NON-SPOILER in the title?

If the OS reveals that Obi-Wan and Anakin will fight not once but twice, should we reveal that information simply because it appeared on the OS?

If so, then I must leave this forum before it's too late.

Yet I feel that, with some revisions, this forum could still function in a non-spoiler manner.

24. JKBurtola

Feb 4, 2003
    Well the guys who were here when AOTC was in production didn't complain when the OS put something on the site about AOTC.

Its not such a big deal.
    So it revealed Chewie was in EP3 great, but what we don't know and the OS will not tell us is how big that role is and what he does.

The OS is just a big tease when it comes to EP3 info. It doesn't deal in spoilers because its the Official site for the Star Wars films. And it gives out official info.

TFN, E-X etc deal in spoilers and thats unofficial. Thats what spoilers are.

The OS didn't give out spoilers when AOTC was in production (and anything it gave it out wasn't that much of a spoiler).

If you can't accept TFN's spoiler policy then don't post in any EP3 forum. Its that simple.

EDIT: Also to what degree do you consider asomething a spoiler?
    A report by the OS saying that "Chewie is in EP3" isn't a spoiler.
    A report by either the OS or a fansite saying "Chewie is in EP3 and doing this and that" is a spoiler.

The difference is we just know he is in it, our speculation in this board continues but now we can confidently add something about Chewie in the mix.

25. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Well, fair enough.

I basically stuck with OS material for AOTC and had a good time.

There were some things I probably wouldn't have wanted to know, but...

Maybe it's just because this is (theoretically) the LAST SW movie ever is why I'm being so stubborn about spoilers.

I know there's others like me who have been "spoiled" previously but want to remain as unspoiled as possible for III.

Why? I'm not sure - possibly it's because I had some reservations after seeing TPM, and I wanted to know AOTC was going to be "on the right track."

But now that everything has been set up, and there's so many things that we're curious about in III, I don't want to know anything!

But I want to speculate about it!

I understand your position, and if that's the way most people feel, then I will stop coming here. However, I think we can alter the spoiler policies so that the people who want OS info can be happy, and the people like me who don't want OS info can be happy too.

I'm not sure how this is going to be resolved - it's really up to the admins, although I'm sure they will listen to "public opinion".

Perhaps a thread to vote on the current spoiler rules?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.