main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lurknomore, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    I think Poe was the best acted character in the film. Steals any scene he's in. I kind of expected that from Oscar Isaac though. Poe is just too cool. They should have considered changing things up a little to put him in the story more, imo.

Hopeless, Allana_Rey and Wildcatbarry like this.
  2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Shame Oscar's talents were wasted here. I hope that won't continue going forward.

3. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Another thought: I really liked how they again showed him to be "the best pilot in the galaxy" with the little montage of his x wing taking out everything in the sky, during the attack on Maz's castle. Oscar (like Lupita) was criminally under utilized in this film, but then again, his character could have been the basis for an entire film by himself (plus on BB unit) so I am just grateful for what we got.

Oscar, Lupita and the great Gwendoline are all (probably contractually obliged) troopers for the grace they've brought their small parts in the promotions.

Darth__Lobot and MattOrgana like this.
  4. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
  5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    They did actually. He was originally supposed to die when the TIE fighter crashed, but then JJ changes his mind later on. Oscar actually talks about it himself. And I suspect that his role will expand in Episode VIII, especially since him and his new bro Finn are in the same location now.

6. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I loved Poe Dameron. He was awesome, cool and loyal. Easily one of the best characters in TFA. Thank god he didn't die. Can't wait to see more of him in VIII.

7. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014

Thank goodness JJ changed his mind. Oscar Isaac is a tremendous actor and Poe Dameron is an awesome character. It would have been a huge mistake to have him die in that crash. It would've been a total waste of Oscar Isaac.

8. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    Constantly reminded by my cousin of this. o_O [​IMG]

Hopeless likes this.
  9. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    So how do you guys think his friendships will go going forward in regard to his character and where will he be uitilized? I'm assuming at one point they will have to have some sort of scene with him and Rey just to balance out the two pilots that are both really good, and both really care about BB-8. Also what sort of role will he have in the Resistance going forward as well? I mean given that a good portion of the NR fleet is wiped out, will Poe be promoted to a different call sign? Will he play a more Lando role in the next film?

It's interesting that they didn't have anything between Rey and Poe at all, even just before they leave, given that she saved his best bud from dying. Poe is being set up to be a mix of Luke and Han in that he's a handsome sort of dare devilish pilot with a bit of a Leia, won't bend for anything save getting it pulled from his mind character. We know he's a really sweet guy with a love of droids, and can understand them, something that Rey can do too, and we know he has a close friendship with Finn, is very trusting as a person and has an optimistic view on things. "Until the sun is gone we have hope."

Rey on the other hand is a scavenger from Jakku who does have some abandonment issues but ultimately has a lot of spunk and, like Poe, sees things in an optimistic way. She dreams of something else while wishing for the return of her family. She's a strong fighter, strong in the force, and clearly is a good pilot. Like Poe she has a great relationship with Finn and BB-8, and if the droid likes her she's gotta be cool. On top of that we know she knows how to fix ships and understands mechanical things easy.

Both Poe and Rey have a force connection in that Poe grew up next to a force tree given to his mom by Luke himself. We know that Poe's family has a close connection to both Han, Leia, and Luke as they were part of the Rebels and Poe has shown that he sees Leia as someone to look up to and like a Royal. Both were held by Kylo Ren and both managed to hold out from his mind examination, and both were rescued, somewhat, by Finn.

Over all, they have some interesting Parallels and if Poe winds up coming to pick Rey up from Luke or they wind up working together for something I think there would be some interesting chemistry there.

Thoughts on this possible future of these two characters at least in regard to interactions and friendships to come?

10. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    ^ I hope that Poe ends up being more than an over-glorified Wedge - the fact that he was shown as a commander in the briefing scene gives me hope that perhaps he'll end up with a more substantial part to play in the sequels than just sitting in a cockpit (albeit with GLORIOUS, glorious helmet hair).

As for relationships? Poe/Rey is soo obvious as to be boring. Poe/Finn would be awesome (but unlikely given what Disney is about these days) so .. I hope that the widowed Leia manages to find some comfort in her life with her young protege.

oh. And BB-8. No one had better get between these two!

Force22 and Darkspellmaster like this.
  11. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    I loved this scene! He just destroyed everything he set his sights on and Finn just watches it all in awe. Poe is bad ass.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  12. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015

I kind of like the idea of Rey and Poe, either as buddies, romantic, or just mom and pop to BB-8, fixing him and stuff. Agreed we need him to be more then Wedge, although Wedge was cool, shame about the actor not wanting to come back though, would have made for an interesting moment if Poe fanboys over him. I like too that he's quick to make friends and once he does they seem to be a for life thing. Poe seems to have a lot of respect for Leia, betting he sees her as a mother figure as well, although I don't know if his folks are still alive or not. Probably they are, but are not involved in this.

Also I hope we get some hints from the comics in there about his past role as well in the Republic, and his connections to his other Leaders on his team.

13. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015

Exactly! He has the makings of a great character and has the personality to keep people smiling to boot. It's clear that Oscar and John had fun playing their scenes. It's interesting too that Finn seemed to know it was him. Force connection or just a feeling that he got seeing the ships?

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  14. Encelade

Encelade Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Oscar Isaac has little to work with. Very poor dialogue.

15. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I thought he had some of the best dialogue in the film. He was also incredibly convincing as a leader. Recognizing the common purpose he shared with Finn, and the fear Finn felt about making this risky decision, Poe makes him feel at ease by treating him with respect (calling him Finn), teaching him the basics (how to use TIE guns), pumping him up ("we're going to do this," not "you better know what you're doing"), and kindly introducing himself ("I'm Poe Dameron. Nice to meet you too!"). It reminded me of the best officers in the armed forces - natural leaders. And the dialogue captured that perfectly. Brilliantly economical stuff from Kasdan.

Curious as to what you felt was poor about it.

16. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Agree; the dialogue was natural and apt for the scenes he was in. I also liked the way he seems to have made a decision to undermine the threat of the First Order by calling them bullies and thugs - that's very clever both on Poe's part as a character, and as a writing decision.

Again though, like with so many things in this film; everything he does in this film is great, but the next film has to mix it up a bit. He can't stay Awesome Guy for the whole trilogy - he'll need to get a bit more depth about him, have time to breathe as a character, and maybe have an experience that tests him more than he has been already.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  17. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Frankly, Poe was simply not a main character. Rey, Finn, and Kylo were the one with arcs in this film - and not coincidentally, they all started off the film in masks. Poe was just his great leader self.

But I expect that with Han out of the picture, Poe will be given an arc for 8 and 9.

18. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Mind. Blown.

19. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    The film will be told from 3 perspectives, Finn and Poe from the resistance perspective, Rey and Luke the Jedi, Kylo and Snoke the darkside and First Order.

I think he will definitely have an expanded role and with both him and Finn being instrumental in taking down SKB they will have risen through the ranks and be heroes of the resistance. Would love to see the film start with them on a mission together, I think the story will have all parties come together late on in the film, I also think Phasma will be personally hunting down Finn either by orders of the first order or as a Bounty Hunter out for revenge after being thrown out of the first order after what happened in TFA.

20. Encelade

Encelade Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    I felt his lines when he was being tortured were contrived, and with the exception of some pleasant interaction with Finn, his lines were very cartoonish, the worst happening at the end of the movie with congratulory clichés I did not expect in 2016.

21. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Issac was terrific. I agree. It reminds a little of the casting of Harrison Ford in that he stole the scenes he was in for the first film he was in and fans seem to like him. Also agree that he felt like a legit pilot and leader that others would gravitate toward and follow. I also like that he just seems to be a regular guy that's not strong in the Force but he's made it his life's mission to be the best natural pilot he can be.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  22. OhioGal1

OhioGal1 Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2015
    From the first minute he appeared onscreen, I was Team Poe Dameron. I liked him immediately. He has that same kind of likable, charismatic, classically handsome movie star vibe that I got with Harrison Ford in the original Star Wars film(and even more so the Indiana Jones trilogy tbh). There is even something sort of old fashioned and swash buckle-y about him. If that makes any sense? IDK. I wish they had more of him in the film, but I am glad we got what we got considering I read he originally was set to be killed off. Good choice to keep him around.

I have to say that while I am not someone who is into all the ZOMG COOL SPACE BATTLES, and obscure characters and mythology minutiae (when I first started lurking this forum I kept thinking Dark Plagueis was Dark PEGASUS and thinking "wow Star Wars had an evil guy on a winged horse?!? How did I miss that?" Whoops lol reading is hard and I still don't know who that is ) I will say that from a casual fans perspective, having solid characters that you can immediately get invested in speaks very highly of the film. It's something the original had, and that's why I cared about the originals in a way that nothing else since has tickled my fancy. Till now. And that's why I am here commenting on a Star Wars forum and it's kinda blowing my ever lovin mind! LOL

Can't wait to see where they take his character story arc wise. I think the actor is incredibly talented and there could really be limitless potential for this character in the sequels. His character makes me excited for the rest of these films. All the characters do really. So much potential on all fronts and that's really great.

23. resnictem

resnictem Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 3, 1999
    Looking forward to seeing more of Poe in the upcoming films. Maybe have a scene where he is rescued by Rey.

And maybe this time, have Poe in a quasi sexy outfit (ala Leia's outfit at Jabba's Palace) [face_hypnotized][face_praying]

24. VJM71

VJM71 Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2015
    It was strange that Poe and Rey had no interaction in the film, but they did in the novelization. The novel briefly throws them together in a moment of "mutual awkwardness" which was an interesting choice as they could easily have just had a friendly meeting and bonded over their mutual fondness for BB-8.

Either there is something coming between Poe and Rey that they didn't want to hint at in the movie yet or Poe's storyline will continue to be separate from Rey's.

As long as he has more adventures with Finn and BB-8, I don't mind :)

25. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    I also definitely hope to see more of this character. I thought he was great - so cool and funny and charming and yeah, awesome. Loved the humour and jovial nature he brought to scenes and I REALLY loved his look of amazement when he was captured and taken aboard that First Order Ship (I want to call it an Imperial Star Destroyer but I guess not). Just the way he looked around conveyed so much, like he was trained to battle but had obviously never been captured and seen the heart and internal workings of the enemy before, and you could see he was kind of awed by it as he was lead away. I thought that was a great, human touch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.