main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lurknomore, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Yes indeed can't wait see his flying skills in dogfights with tie fighters

2. DarthKaragian

DarthKaragian Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2014
    It's not that I don't like the name, but I still can't believe it's the real name of Isaac. If it is I can't understand who would change only one letter from Cameron Poe and name a SW character. Seems way too lazy to be real...

Sent from my iPhone using ForceTapatalk

3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't think that character was even remotely in anyone's mind when they were naming Isaac's character.

4. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Satipo likes this.
  5. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Even though Con Air probably wasn't in their minds when they named the character, I can't believe no one eventually noticed because its turned out to be a name thats not very original after all.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Even if they did notice it before they released the names I doubt they'd care enough to change it. Sure the internet made the connection but in the grand scheme of things I doubt many people going to see the film will think of an obscure character played by Nicholas Cage in a movie no one cares about when they hear Poe's name. And in the end I think it's pretty certain that Poe Dameron will leave a much greater mark on pop culture than Cameron Poe. In the years to come no one will even care.

7. DarthKaragian

Dec 12, 2014
    Obviously no one cares about Cameron Poe, it's just that it doesn't seem like a coincidence... I think I'll stick with the "code names" theory until it's proven wrong.

8. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013

[​IMG]

9. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    I think it was proven wrong by the cards that revealed the name.

People seriously think these are fake names? Why would he need an alias flying his X-wing as opposed to a call sign?

10. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    LOL, you can't wish the names away folks. Better get used to them.

11. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Not to get off topic , but where are you finding all the really neat TFA fanarts of the ST big three?

12. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

https://www.behance.net/search?content=projects&user_tags=1465517

The one I am using is the 3rd one in on the 2nd row.

Han Drolo likes this.
  13. spacename_the_name

spacename_the_name Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2005
    While these may be their actual names, Poe Dameron could be his full name and he goes by a nickname the entire time.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It isn't a coincidence. Multiple filmmakers can actually have shared influences that they pay homage to.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    "Poe Dameron? Is that really your name?"
    [​IMG]

16. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014

17. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    The character Poe Dameron was named after two people. Edgar Allen Poe and J. Lasley Dameron, who wrote a book about Edgar Allen Poe.

18. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I keep getting this feeling that both Finn and Poe are dealing with past struggles. Poe may have lost his family to imperial insurgents and has a strong hatred for anyone imperial. On the other side, Finn is an imperial by coercion. His talents caught the attention of an imperial insurgent group and he has had to join their forces either to support his family/home or to protect them from the threat of the insurgency.

Both Poe and Finn become wanted. Poe brings Rey to his commander for aiding the enemy. The commander is Han and it is revealed that she's Han's daughter. Poe is assigned to watch over her. Rey, meanwhile, wants to free Finn but Poe hates him. He ends up agreeing to bring Finn with them on their mission and the two end up striking up an unlikely friendship (and possibly some tension over Rey).

19. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

I wish that I could wish them away

20. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014

So basically Poe is Tybalt, Rey is Juliet and Finn is Romeo?

Edit:
    From Wikipedia:

"Tybalt shares the same name as the character Tibert/Tybalt the "Prince of Cats" in Reynard the Fox"

Whoa...

;)

21. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Given these references, which seem too intentional to be a coincidence, I wonder if they point to the character's personality. Maybe he's particularly macabre, with a grim, dry sense of humor or something (think something like Lydia in Beetlejuice or Martin Starr's character in Silicon Valley if you're familiar). I wouldn't be surprised based on his serious expression in the trailer. It'd be a welcome new type of character in the Star Wars and could make for some entertaining interactions.

Darth Malgus likes this.
  22. Keltoi89

Keltoi89 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 11, 2013

So essentially what you're saying, is that JJ or whoever else is involved in the naming process, could be rather big, not so closet, Edgar Allan Poe fans? Interesting. [face_thinking]

I believe Mr. Poe is famed for his dark, almost insane-ish, horror stories, which wouldn't be too bad a place to seek inspiration and the new film is supposedly quite dark. Well, in comparison to the prequels anyway, which to be fair, isn't too difficult to accomplish. They were Teletubbies level of darkness, with the Jar Jar and Watto crap. Come to think of it? Maybe that's were George got HIS inspiration from?

In the end, I'd be surprised if the names weren't just plucked out of a flogged chickens arse. They're extremely underwhelming. Finn? Poe? Rey? I mean, seriously? o_O

23. Pogue

Pogue Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    Are you kidding? Con Air is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Cameron Poe is fantastic.

24. DarthKaragian

Dec 12, 2014
    Well in comparison to to Dameron and SW, I don't think that many people would put Con Air first...

25. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Lol Quoth the Raven Nevermore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.