main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lurknomore, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

I've heard a few people express that over the years and I still don't understand it.

Why does there have to be "swaggering scoundrel" with a "heart of gold"? The same characters over and over is just going to get boring.

Sure, Poe could be cocky, but there is a hundred ways of making a character cocky without making him a Han Solo clone. Arrogant in a different way, for different reasons. The arrogance could be just but backfire, etc. etc.

An everyman is " the typical or ordinary person". The everyman wishes he was Han Solo, James Bond, etc. but that doesn't make those characters "everymen".

None of the characters in Star Wars qualify as an everyman / everywoman.

2. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

There doesn't HAVE to be, but clearly some people wanted it.

I personally love Obi-wan from the PT, and he's my favorite character from it by far.

Oh and I should say that I agree on the point of a character being a clone (so to speak). We do NOT need a carbon copy of Han. That would suck. But I think Poe will not be that.

3. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Not laughing at you specifically. Just the idea that Han is an every man. I've always found the belief that people connected with Han because he's an every man funny. People that want to be Han want to be him because he isn't an every man. They want to be him for exactly the reason you stated that I've highlighted in bold. He's a hero with an edge. Nobody wants to be an every man because that's what they already are. If Han was an every man he wouldn't be star hopping in the Falcon. He'd be working in a space dock somewhere. It's the concept of Han being an every man that I'm arguing against. Not Han being popular or being relatable.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  4. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Well, they can't always get what they want. ;) And "wanting" isn't the same as "needing" and what a person "wants" isn't always what is best. :)

Same here . :D

Agreed. Poe will be Poe. :)

Strongbow likes this.
  5. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    Well, you don't have to agree of course. But I'm stickin' with my analysis. I think people could imagine themselves (or rather WANT to imagine themselves) as being the kind of guy Han is. He's a kind of a naughty space trucker. You concept of an everyman is fairly narrow, I think. But regardless of that, I think he's a connection point and people like that.

6. Rabs

Jul 15, 2014
    The definition of an every man is an ordinary person; the typical or average person. So my view is not an opinion but a fact according to the dictionary. Han does not fit the definition of an every man. Even Luke, who starts off in the life of an every man, isn't even truly an every man by definition. Being born with a destiny set into motion at the moment of his birth keeps him from being one. Han starts right off as something more. He's already a smuggler with a reputation when we meet him. That's not an every man. To disagree is to disagree with the very definition of every man. And that's why it's laughable. People are willfully being blind and calling Han something he is not.

Trebor Sabreon and nightangel like this.
  7. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

:rolleyes: An everyman, at least to me, is a character than every man can identify with. A whole lotta guys (and some girls!) identify with Han. You wanna use another term? I care not. The point remains, a character like that is a plus for this kind of movie.

8. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Eh I think to be an every man there are basically two types. The every man who is always around but doesnt really evolve beyond average and the dude that starts as an every man and evolves beyond it. Han evokes more of the Cowboy Power Fantasy then Every Man.

9. Rabs

Jul 15, 2014
    I never said Han or Poe weren't good for the films. I like Han. And I'm sure I'll like Poe. Not sure why you keep arguing that such characters are good for the film when no one argued that they weren't.

10. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Lets all take a moment to admire this sexy b*****d and his pretty hair
    [​IMG]

11. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    From Making and a bit more about the pic
    [​IMG]
    Anyways, he seriously looks like a mechanic in orange.:p
    joking, he looks like he's wearing a military uniform like one that we see in real life but orange instead of green.

12. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Some nasty scratches on his right cheek. Either Kylo's handiwork or a product of Poe's crash-landing, I imagine.

ETA: On his left shirt pocket, is that his rank insignia, a symbol of the Resistance, or both?

starocean90 likes this.
  13. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    How dare Kylo try to hurt this precious little creature! At least his hair is undamaged :p

14. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    it does look like it could be a rank.
    I do wonder what are Poe and Finn's ranks in their respective sides???:D

15. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Well you guys know what to do....somebody go through some star wars lore and figure out what that symbol means. Chop chop

EDIT: Now I dont know much about ranks and such, but it appears we have a orange bar and a white bar next to a orange arrow-thingy. Normally one arrow-thingy means a private and two bars would mean captain (well in US army). [face_dunno]

16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Thank you and Darth Claire for posting. How nice. I wouldn't say it's Oscar's best picture (ha ha that Oscar should be coming some time soon though, given his wonderful performances lately), but it's so nice to see a behind the scenes shot. And neat about the family connections too.

starocean90 likes this.
  17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Is this our first "leaked" pic of a cast member in costume? I can't think of another one. :D

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    sexism! misandry! objectification!

19. Knightstalker137

Knightstalker137 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2003
    He looks more like an orange Ghostbuster ;p

20. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I just noticed your signature. Are you Boogie2988?

21. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    I think Poe's role in TFA will be to give the audience a connection to the "battles". We have Rey and Finn progressing through the smaller scale moments. He is there to give us a face and a way for the film makers a more personally perspective on any larger battles.

I think we see him join the other 2 some time during EP 8.

22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no. just a fan so i just put it in there yesterday.

23. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
  24. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Is this new? Legit? (EDIT: this card I mean)

[​IMG]

25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Don't think so. The "10" and the words "Oscar Isaac as Poe Dameron," but especially the "10," look photoshopped onto the image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.