main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Solo-Skywalker, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    Well, we don't know that many details about the 3rd act. I imagine that storylines may converge at that point.

And there were TFA rumors back in the day that Poe would pilot the Falcon - the original story may have been that Rey, Finn and Poe all escape Jakku together. I'm not saying whether that's the way it should be (with there also being Chewie, Rey, etc... having ownership or lending rights) but the Falcon itself is a character and why not have it play a role - especially when it can be piloted by "the best pilot in the galaxy" as something other than transport.

2. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Poe was originally supposed to die in the crash on Jakku believe it or not. If Poe pilots the falcon, I'd bet it'd be in 9, like Lando in Jedi.

3. Knessa84

Aug 21, 2014
    Poe was supposed to die but whether or not that was on Jakku, I don't know. I could see why an actor like Oscar Isaac would hesitate to play a role where he dies so soon. However, the story went through several iterations. And at one point it was believed Poe and Finn were captured on Jakku, put in a holding cell, then Rey breaks them out. They take the Falcon and escape, Poe pilots.

4. Chiaroscuro Side

Chiaroscuro Side Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2016
    Come to think of it, Poe trying to fly the falcon, and being really terrible at it, would be a pretty funny way to go.

5. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I really hope Poe lives but if Oscar doesn't want to do it he may be someone who dies but i really hope not.

6. Knessa84

Aug 21, 2014
    Oscar is a huge fan. Despite everything he has lined up, I could see him doing SW into infinity if they kept the character going.

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

This. I feel like he's the Robert Downey Jr. of SW. "Keep telling me to do it and I'll keep doing it."

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  8. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015

okay i wasn't sure, i read he was going to be killed in the force awakens but then they liked him so much they kept him, so as long as he keeps doing it.

9. sharasbeys

sharasbeys Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 10, 2016
    ladygrey45 actually Oscar was the one who argued for Poe to live and they changed it because of that! So don't worry, he should be around for a while. I hope, otherwise this is going to look really foolish come Episode IX.

10. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    I like Poe and I think they should keep all the new characters for future sagas

11. sharasbeys

sharasbeys Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 10, 2016
    So do I. I think there's a lot to be done with these characters, and I hope it's onscreen and not just in books/comics.

12. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015

I think if he survives he will be in the new saga films which I have a feeling they are going to continue disney wants to make star wars up till 2030 so theres hope

13. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016

I'm not exactly against them continuing the pattern. This trilogy can be followed up by a trilogy where Rey, Poe and Finn are the older generation leading the younger generation.

Would we call it the Threequel Trilogy?

14. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015

they wouldnt even have to be that old it would be interesting to see star wars with a bunch of 20 somethings add in new interesting characters I have faith they could make it good. maybe like 3 years.

Revanfan1 and Cantina Regular like this.
  15. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    SunnyNelson likes this.
  16. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    Poor Poe, every starship he piloted, it ended blown to pieces. I hope he doesn't touch the millennium falcon, because i fear that the falcon might follow the same destiny xD

17. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    The Guardian - Oscar Isaac on Star Wars, Guatemala and his Dylan-esque backstories

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...ars-guatemala-and-his-dylan-esque-backstories

18. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Yeah, I have heard he was supposed to die in the TIE crash in Jakku, but that they changed that pretty quickly. He tested really well with the cast, and Kasdan liked his swagger. So he lives! His later scenes are somewhat less involved, which kinda goes along with the "let's keep him alive" theory. Not much charcter work in those later scenes. But it sounds like he has some heavy lifting to do in TLJ. I love Oscar's Poe... can't wait to see what he does.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  19. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Completely unfounded, but I feel like maybe the "Poe dies early on a crash on Jakku" was actually a fossil from an early draft of TFA in which Wedge was the "best pilot in the resistance" Kylo interrogates, and the trusted agent Leia had dispatched to retrieve the map from Lor...Then he dies in the crash on Jakku, and Finn is left to his own devices, etc. Just a hunch. But of course Denis Lawson declined to be in the movie, and Abrams decided not to recast Wedge and instead create a younger "hot shot pilot" and the concept of Poe was born, but then everyone loved Oscar and he's a great actor so they changed the plot, and he'll be around for the entire trilogy which is how it should be!

I doubt that once Oscar was cast as Poe that they ever intended him to die in a crash on Jakku.

20. Knessa84

Aug 21, 2014
    This is what happened. http://www.gq.com/story/star-wars-the-force-awakens-character-death

21. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

Yes I read that. So Oscar's "Poe" was intended to die early for all of one coffee meeting with Oscar. Seems like Abrams' wheels got turning as to how to get Poe in more of the movie as soon as he and Oscar discussed the character.

But what happened with the development of Poe BEFORE Oscar was approached. What are the origins of the character and the concept of him dying so early. That's really what my hunch/theory is about. It's all very interesting and that GQ story told from Oscar's perspective doesn't really delve into any of that.

22. spectator

spectator Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 6, 2017

That's my suspicion, as well. I was bummed, initially, that Denis Lawson declined to reprise the role but, truthfully, it would've been a bit silly for Wedge to have still been the greatest hotshot fighter jock in the galaxy... in his 60's.

This way, we get to have Poe and now, after Celebration, perhaps the faint hope that Denis Lawson may yet be convinced to come back in 8 or 9 and give us a cameo for Wedge doing something maybe a little more age-appropriate.

23. Knessa84

Aug 21, 2014
    Well, if you go by Mizzlewump's breakdown supposedly of the 2nd draft of the Abrams/Kasdan script if you believe it's real (which I do), the early version of Poe was supposed to be the son or daughter of Lando.

24. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    How has Oscar Isaac not won Sexiest Man Alive every year for the past 30 years?

25. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Voting eight year olds as "sexy" is kind of controversial...