main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Solo-Skywalker, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Gambit00

Gambit00 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 30, 2014
    Don't know if anyone saw this. A few pilot costumes on display at Comic Con.

Comic Con display

Poe's descriptions reads:
    Now that the conflict between the First Order and the Resistance has escalated into open warfare, Poe shines as a daring squadron leader. Ever brash and foolhardy, his hot shot antics wear the patience of both First Order and Resistance command.

Wears the patience of Resistance command? I know some people have speculated that he gets demoted...

2. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    I assume it has something to do with him butting heads with Holdo.

3. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    That's what I suspect is going on with him. Maybe he does something against the mission plan that gets them a good lead on the FO, but it ends also in trouble (like Paige dying or something). Before maybe Leia would have been like "you flyboys need to think about your lives too, thanks for the lead but I care about you too," but Holdo has a grudge against the Resistance in general and makes an example out of Poe by demoting him. Then Finn and Rose align with Poe and follow the lead he found.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  4. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Nice find. Perhaps this is why Leia ends up slapping him.

5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    He's the Dirty Harry, the Martin Riggs, the Axel Foley, of the Rebellion.
    He don't play by the rules. The Chief keeps calling him into the office to chew him out. But he gets things done.

mlsw likes this.
  6. Eugene3

Eugene3 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2017
  7. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    I am growing suspicious of Poe's fate.

8. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    that outfit.... that look..... that stance.... yep he will be frozen in carbonite.... xD, at least he looks like that material

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  9. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Leia's role in the Poe-Holdo-Leia dynamic is what's interesting me. It sounds like she and Holdo won't be friends, but she'll understand the need for cooperation and will try and get Poe to come around. That leads the way for kind of an interesting intergenerational thing going on with Leia-Poe on the military side of things, which is cool.

10. cronus33

cronus33 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    I may be in the minority on this, but I am disappointed with how Poe was handled in TFA, both the character and the acting. I feel there was a missed opportunity for him to be a truly charismatic "rogue" character. Also, his acting seemed really forced. Every line, every scene, just seems over-acted. I have no problems with Oscar Isaac or Poe Dameron, in fact, I really want to see the character fleshed out and become lovable. Hopefully his time in TLJ is an improvement.

EDIT: Also, as my brother calls it, "The Poe Dameron Show" scene with him looping around, breaking physics, and taking out a dozen TIE Fighter's over Finn's head bothers me. Less can be more...

11. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Poe is awesome and I think Isaac was a superb bit of casting. I'm glad they didn't go the straight "rogue" route as we have that with Han anyway. Can't wait to see him get a bit more depth in TLJ.

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Honestly that's one of my favorite scenes in the movie. Every one of Poe's cool piloting moments honestly gets my blood pumping. It's like what the OT would've been if made in 2015, and it appealed to nostalgia and to modern effects. Only the lightsaber duel had the same adrenaline-pumping effect, to me.

AniLukeRey, cerealbox and mlsw like this.
  13. cronus33

Apr 17, 2005

I guess we can just agree to disagree, or have different tastes.

Starship combat is one of my favorite things about Star Wars. I love the idea of a good pilot who the other sides fears, etc. But that scene was a little too silly and unrealistic. It cheapened it for me a little.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  14. cronus33

Apr 17, 2005

I like the casting. I think he is a perfect fit, especially visually. I just felt his acting was exaggerated, both his line delivery and his body language/physical movements.

To clarify, it is because I like the character that I am critical. I want to see more Poe, and better Poe in TLJ.

Satipo likes this.
  15. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Ah, it worked for me. I think the larger than life approach works in SW if you have charisma, but I can see why others don't feel the same way. Also, I agree that he needs more to do this time out.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

And Oscar/Poe had charisma to spare, for sure.

mlsw likes this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    cronus33 Watch the double/triple posting please. Either reply to multiple people in a single post or wait until someone else posts to reply again. Thank you.

18. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I foresee Poe will become a great Jedi Knight.

19. obiwana

obiwana Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2017
  20. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Oscar Isaac: “Poe is in some ways a surrogate son for Leia. But also I think she sees in him the potential for a truly great leader of the Resistance and beyond.” “Poe’s arc is one of evolving from a heroic soldier to a seasoned leader, to see beyond the single-mindedness of winning the battle to the larger picture of the future of the galaxy. I think Leia knows she won’t be around forever and she, with tough love, wants to push Poe to be more than the badass pilot, to temper his heroic impulses with wisdom and clarity.” “One of my favorite things that would happen from time to time on set would be when Carrie would sing old songs. Whenever that would happen I would offer her my hand and we would waltz around the set – on a starship, in a Rebel base, on an alien planet, and she would sing and we would dance. So surreal and beautiful to think about now. For all of her delicious, wicked humor and fiery energy she also had such sweet grace. I miss her dearly.” (August 10, 2017)

panki, Jedi Jessy, BlurryUFOs and 2 others like this.
  21. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Eh I see him becoming a less fishy Admiral Ackbar or a political leader of sorts.

11-4D likes this.
  22. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    "Surrogate son." lt's funny knowing that Leia will slap Poe. But we all know Kylo needs it.

mlsw likes this.
  23. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Poe don't play by the rules. That will probably get under the skin of Holdo. Maybe even Leia a little, even though she loves him.

24. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    The Marvel Poe Dameron #14 comics indicate that Poe is being groomed to take over for leadership by Leia, and Oscar Isaac elaborated on the relevance to that in The Last Jedi recently. This hinting is canon established in the comics already, so it's not a secret.

thejeditraitor and Knessa84 like this.
  25. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Or he can aim higher and try to be a less fishy...Admiral Raddus.

Nah. No use trying to live up to that legend.