main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Solo-Skywalker, Dec 19, 2015.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Not sure why anyone jumped on the stormpilot bandwagon when it's obviously Droidlove aka Droidpilot

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    There's a ton of Bandwagons I can't understand why anyone jumps on..

3. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    *reads dameron comic*
    *cries in wookie*

4. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    In the beginning I didn't like the comics too much because Poe acted more like Han Solo (like in TLJ, the comics showed that Leia thinks Poe is imprudent) but later he start to looks more interesting.

I still think Kylo, Hux and Poe could be more young. They all are 30-something years old but Lucasfilm are like "they still are too young and need to learn more". It could work if they were 20

5. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Then you'd run the risk of having to shift Rey and Finn into tweens in order to make the plot work.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    oncafar likes this.
  6. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Rey and Finn's age (19 & 23) are okay while Hux is 34 but act like a teen. Kathleen Kennedy said Kylo is interesting because he is so young but he is 30

7. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Im going to give Poe/Oscar the biggest compliment I can give the character/actor. He makes the loss of Han/Harrison easier to bare. A great character played by a great actor.

Revanfan1 and Bosozoku27 like this.
  8. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Poe needs to die in order for the Resistance to win. The opening scene showed that, on top of being insubordinate, he cannot stuck to a simple plan with clear objectives. He will be an absolutely terrible leader for the Resistance.

9. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    And the rest of the film showed us him learning how not to behave like that.

Revanfan1 and cerealbox like this.
  10. Sannom

Nov 14, 2011
    Nah, the conflict with Holdo was understandable. There was no reason for her not to explain her plan right at the moment when she was put in command if only to boost morale and give a clear objective to the troops. It was perfectly understandable that Poe (and the viewers) would come to assume that she had no plan at all. The whole thing was an idiot plot.

But the opening scene? Now that is unforgivable, especially the fact that he put the original plan into jeopardy for no good reason. Like, I'm sure that the briefing must have mentioned that Poe and Cobalt Squadron were to fall back as soon as the base was evacuated.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  11. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    If you didn’t get that the whole point of Poe’s arc was that he learned from his mistakes to become the leader Leia wanted him to be, then I don’t know what to say to you.
    It’s not about the specifics - they’re up for debate. It’s about the fact that the lesson’s Poe learns through the film means that his leadership qualities need to be based on where his head is at the end of the film, not the start. And the end of the film shows us a complete reversal of his mistake - he calls off a futile attack rather than die for a futile show of doomed heroism

cerealbox likes this.
  12. Sannom

Nov 14, 2011
    Oh no, I get the point of his arc. I'm just saying that it doesn't work because his original "mistake" is unforgivable and should disqualify him for any sort of leadership position or even a place in the Rebellion. There are no extenuating circumstances like there could be for Luke or Finn or Rey or Rose.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  13. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    This is the film series where a serving member of the military, with knowledge of the rebellion’s secret base, says “I can’t stay anymore” and his superior shakes his hand and says “sorry to see you go”

You’re right; in real world reality, Poe is demoted and never seen again. You’re making no allowances for genre whatsoever.

14. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    I get the point and I believe many do.
    But is that the best way to tell that kind of story arc?
    That’s the point.
    Poe is 34. He’s an experienced soldier and a commander...
    I cannot see someone of that age and experience not obeying orders.
    But even if you put aside this detail...
    Why does he get demoted for not obeying orders
    but no one cares when he puts in place a MUNITY?
    If the goal was let him learn something...
    Put him in charge when Leia is forced to steep back and make him fail and
    rise again.
    That would have been far more interesting and in character.
    Because the Poe of ep. VII has very little to do with an
    Han Solo reboot.
    So much so.... Oscar said that the first day of shooting Rain told him
    to change some nuances. Sure Oscar wasn’t making any public criticism.
    He’s a professionist. But I think something did change for real in the characterization
    and to my taste not in a better or more original way....

Rhyoth likes this.
  15. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Poe's 32. Hux is 34.

16. Sannom

Nov 14, 2011
    Your example is allowance for the genre, a superior trusting a member of his squad perhaps a bit too much and nothing bad comes out of it. Poe not getting punished for the mutiny is allowance for the genre as it very nearly comes without consequences (and the mistake that ruins everything is him giving unnecessary details over the radio). Poe getting a slap on the wrist despite the magnitude and the consequences of his insubordination at the beginning is pushing the allowance too far.

17. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    Corrections are always welcomed. So, thank you. That said... It's not that it changes the point.

cerealbox likes this.
  18. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    I posted this in some long thread somewhere else, but I think it's worth a discussion. Is Poe really wrong in going after and destroying the Dreadnought?

I think there are two ways to look at it:

1) Poe is right. He's disabled the defenses of one of the most powerful star ships in the First Order fleet. The loss of the bombers is incidental to the price it inflicts on the enemy. The war is either going to be won by reinforcement of the Resistance by capital ships from allies in other places (which seems to be the plan) or by civilian uprising. Neither of those possibilities need the lost bombers. Plus, a Dreadnought is powerful, has a large now-dead crew and it is a huge expense to build one and replace one, making it worth the loss of the bombers.

Think about it this way, at the Battle of Midway, a lost squadron flew out of the Sun at the last minute and fatally crippled the Japanese carrier fleet. Suppose those bombers had been shot down on the way home. Would it matter? Would you think, OMG, we lost all of those bombers? Of course not.

2) Poe is wrong. That said, the United States was operating from a position of plenty at Midway, it had the long-term numerical advantage. As opposed to the Revolutionary War, which was essentially won by two long retreats and keeping a viable force in the field. That might be the philosophy of Leia and Holdo, that force preservation and keeping a force in the field is the most important thing.

Rhyoth and Sarge like this.
  19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Poe is wrong. They could have used the bombers elsewhere. Dreadnaughts can be easily destroyed by unmanned hyperspace missiles, as the ending battle shows :p

20. mike778

mike778 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2012
    To be fair, the bombers looked a bit rubbish anyway - think they needed someone to give them a push.

Aetius888 likes this.
  21. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Who cares
    the whole Poe arc story in VIII was rubbish, thanks to Johnson-s overrated/mediocre writing

As much as Poe was treated in VIII as a dangerous/stubborn male alpha bullying his way into power, in the end, he was FORCED to end on Crait, facing a squad of Walkers with rubbish/outdated weapons and vehicles, escaping with his life thanks to the sudden apparition of Luke Skywalker. So perhaps he was kinda right after all

22. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Leila and Holdo were right: the experienced crews are irreplaceable. One of the reasons the Japanese lost the Second World War was because they lost too many good pilots in the early years. And yes, a smaller force will not win a battle of attrition against a larger one. The correct strategy going forward is a guerilla war, with the aim of buying time to rebuild the fleet. In asymmetrical warfare, experience, not firepower, is vital. Of course, a decapitation strike led by a special force of operators (say, a group of Jedi Knights) could win the war in a stroke.

themoth likes this.
  23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agreed. Poe should have backed off and returned to the base. The Resistance was gradually depleted as the film went on. They would’ve done anything to have had those pilots/soldiers near the end of the film.

24. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    No it was just an awful story!

Darth Smurf likes this.
  25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    lol you people.

dogprivilege likes this.