main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Solo-Skywalker, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Poe's character development...

With the loss of so many New Galactic Republic military operatives everyone will likely be kicked up a notch in rank and duty. Poe will likely move up from being a mere squadron leader. VIII will likely find him in command of a NR capital ship. Likely a spacecraft carrier or heavy cruiser ( I just hope it is NOT one of them ugly Mon Cal 'flying-steel-pickle' ships - I really hate Mon Cal designs - Poe needs a nicely angular hot-rod military ship - perhaps a reboot of the Endurance Class Fleet Carrier would fit the bill ). Poe and his capital ship might host a large number of NR infantry troops led by Finn. Oh and Poe will likely have his capital ship painted black, orange and silver like his old T-70 X-wing starfighter.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  2. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014

He's already a Commander in the Resistance (per the visual dictionary) he commands the StarFighter Corps (made of of both the blue and red squadrons - under the call sign Black Leader) it's further explained in (posts #12 and post #16) He will remain in his Black X-Wing Fighter (Black One). It appears he's already found his calling, but who knows I guess anything is possible.

Darkspellmaster, AmySolo and Sarge like this.
  3. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015

4. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014
    Something just came to me, we know that Poe's parents were members of the Rebellion during the Battle of Endor, and we also know Poe joined the Resistance because he "idolized" Leia Organa. I wonder if after Endor and the loss of his parents if him and Ben were childhood friends.[face_thinking] He is 32, Ben is supposedly 29. (according to Pablo and the Visual Dictionary) - It could deepen the complexity and backstory of both Ben and Poe.

5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Possible, the movie never makes it clear if he knows that Kylo is Ben or not. He never sees Kylo without his mask on to be sure.

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
  6. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    What do you people think about the idea of having an enemy ace pilot as a rival/foil to Poe? Personally I think it's about time for the SW villains on the big screen to have a hotshot pilot at their disposal. We got Darth Vader in ANH but that's about it since then it's always the heroes who have the best pilots making short work of the villains' fighters/fleet/superweapon/etc. Poe in TFA after hopping in his X-Wing seems to just demolish everything the First Order throws at him lol. Why not introduce the First Order's best pilot in VIII to raise the stake? He/She could also be one of the Knights of Ren to represent the aspect of Vader's piloting skill perhaps. Imo this idea has potential and no real downside plus it's new to SW movies.

7. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    I imagine something like an evil Snake Eyes. A stealthy, ninja-like TIE pilot, who poses a real threat to the heroes and leads TIE squadrons.

8. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I had been thinking about this too. He and Ben would have traveled in the same circles, so it would be strange if they didn't know each other. Perhaps he thinks Ben is dead and doesn't know what he has become? I have also been wondering if Poe is force sensitive. I'm assuming that Luke or Leia would have been able to detect if he was since Luke probably would have met young Poe, so maybe he isn't. He does seem to be an abnormally skillful pilot though, and Kylo did seem surprised at how resistant he was to interrogation.

Sarge and Darkspellmaster like this.
  9. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    The before the awakening novel gave me the impression that Poe had a peaceful upbringing on Yavin and then become a republic pilot and met Leia for the first time when he joined up with the resistance shortly before the events of the film.

It would have been a nice idea that he and Ben had known each other but unless the story group is already out of synch then I don't think it's the case.

One thing that intrigues me is that we know Poe's mother died a few years after Endor but there's no indication how (eg illness or in battle?)

10. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    We were talking about the idea of Ben and Poe knowing each other in the thread in TFA, and it does make sense. Poe's mom and dad were both high officials in the resistance, with Poe's dad leading a gorilla type of group that specialized in stealth missions and other dangerous things. His mom was part of the green sqaudren X-wings and one of the top flyers, I think second in command in that group. Anyways, both of his parents were friends with Leia, Han and Luke. Luke in fact asked Shay, Poe's mom, to fly with him to Courasant after the Battle of Jakku while Poe was little and find two trees in the remains of the Jedi temple there. She got to take one of them and keep them by their house, on Yarvin 4, where Poe grew up. His force sense abilities could have manifested as he was able to fly by the age of six, and would go out in a skyhopper with his mom. She died when he was eight, I don't know about his dad.

Poe, if he did know Ben, would have been the big brother to him as they're three years apart and since he grew up near a force tree he might not have been scared of the powers if they manifested in odd ways. Someone suggested a young Poe showing Ben a small toy plane at some point and Ben making it float and move for Poe. If the mention of 12 o'clock high is worth anything to the movie other then the dog fights, it could be that Poe is going to play the good natured leader to Del Toro's gregory Peck like character as he told a Spanish magazine that he would be villain like but not strictly a villain. So he could be the jerk that Poe has to deal with. Maybe a fleet commander that lost his men in the previous attack by the FO.

11. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    This. I want a Poe-Finn buddy cop plot line, where they're out investigating the Unkown Regions or something. Could be hilarious.

Oscar's this generation's Al Pacino, IMO.

12. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Shara Bey mentioned her having a son in Shattered Empire though, so he must have been born sometime before.

13. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

Yeah, but why take a guy who's clearly an ace dogfighter pilot and pull him out of an X-wing only to sit him on the bridge of a big ship telling underlings when to fire? Seems like a waste of his given talent. Poe does say in TFA that he can "fly anything" so maybe 8 will see him in something new other than an X-wing (maybe he upgrades to the latest technology in each episode and that's his thing, like getting a new car), but I think whatever it is, it'll be a small fighter that's fast and maneuverable. Or possibly the MF. But not a big ship. That's LANDO'S JOB BABY.

14. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014

Great idea.

15. littlewaves

Apr 19, 2008
    Yeah I think there's some confusion about whether TFA occurs 30 years after Endor or 32. I think the canon figure is 30 but I may be wrong.

Either way Poe was born before Endor and that much is definitely canon

16. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
  17. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
  18. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Don't know. [face_dunno]

19. littlewaves

Apr 19, 2008

I'd hazard a guess it will replace Kanan as it's been going longer. Is there any reason they won't keep both though?

I have a feeling Poe might be the only new character we hear much about until much nearer Episode 8. I think they'll reveal Rey and Finn's stories either nearer release date or just in the movie.

20. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    Kanan will end at #12.

21. littlewaves

Apr 19, 2008

Oh yes and in March too. I guess Poe does replace him then.

It makes sense that they'd try to capitalise on characters from TFA from now on. Rebels was only really a stop-gap to fill time before the real new characters came along.

22. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I like it and that should be the st love story as well lol

23. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    If Ren & Poe knew each other as kids I feel like there would be some hint of it from Ren, even if Poe never saw his face. Could be retconned in but currently not enough evidence, imo, to support the thought.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I depends of if Poe is aware of Kylo's true identity. If not, then it's possible that Kylo might want to keep that info secret.

25. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    good point. Heartbreaking if true.