main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Solo-Skywalker, Dec 19, 2015.

1. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    After seeing VII, I really liked Poe Dameron as a character, and Oscar Isaac played him with such gusto... In a way, I think Poe is a sort of expy of Jagged Fel, as if the writers said, "What if Jagged Fel grew up in the Republic, and not in the Unkown Regions?" I mean, he can "fly anything" and he's cocky as ****, and if those are not pure Jagged qualities, I don't know what is. Which leads me to believe that Rey, as a Jaina expy (Solo or Skywalker to be determined), will be trained as a sort of "Sword of the Jedi" in the next movies, promoting the rebirth of the Jedi Order, while Poe rises in the Resistance hierarchy. Ultimately (by end of IX), I think that they will be together, but that their path as a couple might not be as straightforward as Han and Leia's, which was pretty much set up from the get-go in IV ("A princess... and a guy like me?"). Times have changed, with people usually leading a full life before finding their partner nowadays, and the SW films may well reflect that.

2. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    What's always interesting to see is when someone who is cocky (and can back it up) comes up against a test that even they can't pass. I think this should happen to Poe in Episode 8. He should fail. And that'll really show his true character and what he's made of as a hero. How does he react to failure? How does he come back in 9 wiser, stronger and better for the forces of good?

3. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    He's not really cocky though. He's just really good at flying, he's more of a decent guy then say Han is in the vain and cocky department. The only time we hear him say anything cocky is when he says "I can fly anything." and it's true, he studied how to fly a lot of different type of crafts thanks to his mom and his job. I have a feeling if he failed he would use it and try to figure out how to fix his mistakes and then come back with a better plan for next time. He doesn't seem the type to get down for too long. Kind of like Luke in that way.

4. Killua

Killua Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2015
    There's a fine line between being cocky and being highly confident, Poe was the latter IMO.

Though I do agree the likes of Rey, Finn and Poe should undergo some daunting and precarious tests in the upcoming film.

5. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    That's a lot of story to follow, tbh. Did we really see Han come up against something like that is meaning to him in the OT? IIRC we really only followed Luke's challenges and tests.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  6. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Well, ESB saw the Millennium Falcon constantly have mechanical and light speed problems. The film also saw Han ripped from his love and frozen in metal and shipped off to his mortal enemy. So yeah I think Han faced some tests that he failed in the OT.

7. AmySolo

Jan 12, 2016
    I guess I didn't count frozen in carbonite a personal failure, more circumstantial but I def see your point.

Darkspellmaster and Rodie like this.
  8. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Well, perhaps "cocky" isn't quite the right adjective, but Poe certainly had that sort of ultra-confident air that can only happen when one has a very healthy opinion of oneself, and he is also rather sure of his capacities, to the point of performing some eminently outrageous feats: confronting Kylo on Jakku, which isn't for the faint of heart, or stealing a TIE fighter straight out of a SD bay. And as the line between genius and madness can sometimes be a bit blurry, we can be at liberty to wonder on which side Poe is, once in a while. I could easily see Poe getting in over his head at least once or twice, simply because he overestimated his abilities, or underestimated those of his enemies.

AmySolo likes this.
  9. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I think that Poe will probably benefit most from the supposed rewrites. I see his role increasing moving forward.

10. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014
    I agree; if the original script for VIII didn't have Poe included then surely hat would be a reason, but supposedly Johnson knew Poe didn't die in VII so I think you may be right; Poe is now getting a comic and possibly more screen time which is good news, how they handle increasing his and the other characters roles with the elephant in the room makes me think a rewrite was needed, if for nothing else better projection of the ideas and thoughts which will support the narrative moving forward.

11. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
  12. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    There was a point in the Episode VII script stage when Poe dies in the TIE crash on Jakku. This was the role Isaac signed up for, an ACT 1 character that gets killed off. It was only shortly before filming started that JJ told Isaac that he figured out how to include him in the rest of the story.

It's very likely that Johnson began writing Episode VIII thinking that Poe dies so he's not around to use in the next chapter.

I think either JJ's on-the-fly change for Poe affected Johnson's script at some point, or that Johnson had something cool in mind for Poe and saving Poe's life was one of the things Johnson asked Abrams to change in TFA. Remember JJ has said that Johnson asked for some adjustments and this could have been one of them. Maybe Johnson is a huge fan of Poe and has something great in mind for the character in 8.

13. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I hope for great things for Poe. Character has so much potential.

14. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yep I agree and it was bad that Poe disappeared after the first act in TFA. I hope he has more screentime in VIII. ;)

Darkspellmaster and Wildcatbarry like this.
  15. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Me, too. I like his attitude and humor.

16. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    I like the cut of his jib.

17. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    The interesting thing about Poe and his so far limited level of involvement in the plot is that Oscar Isaac is rapidly becoming a significant Hollywood star so it'll seem kind of odd if his part isn't larger in Episode 8. With Harrison now gone Oscar is pretty much the biggest movie star in Star Wars. Interestingly closely followed by Domhnall Gleeson.

Daisy, John and Adam's stars are certainly rising but Oscar is starting to be a pretty big deal having done a wide variety of stuff now in leading roles rather than as a a supporting character.

Sadly that may just mean he doesn't have time for episode 9 and they kill him off in 8.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  18. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I kind of doubt it. I could maybe see him, or Rey, or both getting badly injured (it could be part of your traditional "downer ending" for a second act of a trilogy) thing But if he dies, then I don't see it happening until Episode IX, IF he dies.

And look at all the big stars in Hollywood who still continue coming back every couple of years to do Marvel films. Scarlett Johansson is a big star right now, and yet she's played Black Widow four times over the last five years, with another one coming out in May. RDJ is an even bigger example of this, or Jeremy Renner, etc.

So I don't see that Oscar would necessarily be all that different.

19. AmySolo

Jan 12, 2016
    Not to mention the movie is the biggest NA box office. It's not like he's gonna turn it down for something more lucrative. Nothing keeps your star power up like films that dominate the BO.

20. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    He also took the role of Apocalypse in the next X-Men movie, which has him buried under tons of makeup/prosthetics. So he's clearly doesn't consider himself to be "above" doing genre roles.

21. AmySolo

Jan 12, 2016
    It's gonna be weird watching that for me. *cough [face_blush]

I still haven't been able to bring myself to watch Ex machina. Apparently it has an excellent payoff but .. yikes.

22. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    I didn't really mean he'd consider himself above appearing in SW as he's clearly a huge fan. I just mean that if he's in demand for leading man roles he may simply not have time for supporting roles in sequels.

TFA has clearly established Rey as the main protagonist but has also set up Finn as an important part of the story with his own character arc. Poe on the other hand has no character arc and is very much a supporting character.

If the talk of 8 being darker is true then I reckon we'll get a least one high profile death and I think that could well be Poe.

Don't get me wrong this isn't something I'm hoping for but I think it's certainly possible and maybe even likely.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  23. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    You should see this "charming" little thriller called Mojave, alongside Garrett Hedlund. He's so darn creepy and menacing in that movie.

24. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014

ESB is the most consistently dark SW movie to date, and yet no major characters die there.

Darkspellmaster and AmySolo like this.
  25. AmySolo

Jan 12, 2016
    You had me at Garrett Hedlund (I'm still hoping for another Tron) but then I see Walter Goggins and I'm like "I get to eat the cake too?!"

As for VIII, am I alone in thinking that offing another - especially one of the new trinity - would kinda lessen Han's death, or take away from it?