main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Oscar Pistorius? More like Oscar Pistolius.

Discussion in 'Community' started by George Roper, Feb 14, 2013.

1. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I did too.

3. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Cool story, bro!

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    So you CAN see humor through the PBR!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I see humor in everything.

EVERYTHING

6. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Apparently the autopsy confirmed the initial reports that there was massive damage to her skull, possibly inflicted by the cricket bat.He claims he used the bat to break down the bathroom door.

7. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    it is tragic his response got two likes and yours none. i have attempted to rectify this BROTHER

George Roper likes this.
  8. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i'm sure i read that he had to actually walk past the bedroom to get to the bathroom door anyway. so.... wouldn't you kinda check to see if your gf was ok if a) you had to walk past her anyway and b) you actually did think there was a crazed lunatic in your house (apparently in need to take a dump first before stealing stuff and/or murdering everyone).

yankee8255 likes this.
  9. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Thank you. I often wonder whether some people here need to have some sense beaten into their heads with a cricket bat.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I heard his brother is now being charged in a separate murder case?

11. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    From now on I'm leaving the door open when I poop.

12. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Culpable homicide in the death of a motorist, I think. Not sure of the details other than it was about 4 years ago.

They'll both probably be receiving the baton in 8 by 10 relay races.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, unbelievably he was acquitted of all murder charges. Culpable Homicide charges still to be decided.

14. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    The judge bought his story that he thought there was an intruder in the bathroom, I guess. Pretty stunning, imo.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Wow.

Edit: Had to turn onto ESPN for coverage of the verdict. Everybody else is focused on the 9/11 anniversary.

16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    People still focus on 9/11 anniversaries?

17. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    used to be such a good day to fly

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Well, no. I know the media reports it this way, but I watched a bit of it (Pretoria's close to our time zone). Crucially the judge was saying that she did not feel the Prosecution had made the case for premeditated murder. She believed him, yes, but only in the absence of a credible alternative in the Court.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, it's like sometimes when a US jury gives a not - guilty verdict. They may think a defendent is guilty of something (re: Casey Anthony), but in their view the prosecution did not prove their case to the definition of 'beyond resonable doubt' to get a conviction.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    In English Common Law, murder can only be proven by the Crown (or Prosecution for those silly enough to become republics) when both mens rea and actus reus can be established. Establishing actus reus is easier than establishing mens rea for obvious means; proving who pulled the metaphoric trigger is easier than establishing they pre-planned the event.

Failure to establish both mens rea and actus reus is what typically leads to the manslaughter charge being brought (in South African law, it's called "culpable homicide".

In the US, I believe you have the inchoate charge of second degree murder (murder with malicious afterthought) and then the voluntarily/involuntary manslaughter charges. These aren't British Common Law principles per se, so you wouldn't be best placed to try and equate the RSA Court verdict to US law.

22. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I didn't follow the trial very closely, but from what I read, it seemed like the Crown spent most of its case trying to prove mens rea indirectly by showing his history of violence. I guess the judge felt that wasn't enough to show premeditation in this specific instance?

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    This is where LostOnHoth and Saintheart should be better able to comment but for me I would have thought the attempt to demolish his character by painting a history of violence would undermine any suggestion of mens rea - it simply speaks to an angry person who acts on that anger impulsively.

24. yankee8255

May 31, 2005

That's a practical question, though: how are you going to show that he intended to kill her when there are no witnesses other than the accused and the victim -- you try to show the prior history of the defendant. Ideally you would maybe have witnesses who heard him threaten to kill her.

In any event, he was convicted of "culpable" (ie negligent) homicide. Essentially, he may have legitimately believed it was a burglar in he bathroom, but a reasonable person would have realized it was his girlfriend. That doesn't mean the judge necessarily believed his story, just that the prosecution hadn't brought forth enough evidence to completely discredit it/show that he intended to kill her.

BBC cites experts who expect a prison term of 7-10 years. Max would be 15.

25. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    A BBC analysis of why it was neither premeditated nor common-law murder. Specifically on the second charge:

I have to say, this leaves me scratching my head a bit. He intended to fire a loaded gun at someone, but didn't foresee that it was possible he would kill them?