main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oscar Score Nominations and Winners: Now Discussing the Year 1967

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by HL&S , Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    For once, the academy getting it right.

The most amazing thing about this year, though, is that CE3K and ANH were composed in the same year, around similar material, and yet sound absolutely nothing alike. They are both brilliant, utterly brilliant, but amazingly dissimilar. It's something the studio execs didn't think he could do, but he did.

His finest year.

2. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    Spielberg felt awful aftr hearing the score for Star Wars, stating that Lucas got Williams' best stuff. I'm not sure if I agree or disagree.

3. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I tried typing this yesterday but the server prevented it from going through. So here it is again...

Obsession - Bernard Herrmann
    The Omen - Jerry Goldsmith
    The Outlaw Josey Wales - Jerry Fielding
    Taxi Driver - Bernard Herrmann
    Voyage of the Damned - Lalo Schifrin

WINNER: The Omen by Jerry Goldsmith.

What a frightening score this was. Best use of a choir in any score in my opinion. Top 100 scores of all time for sure. I like how he mixes devil music with a peaceful and tranquil innocence theme. My favorite part would be when the Nanny attacks Ambassador Thorne. That music gives me nightmares.

Never heard Voyage of the Damned unfortunately.

The Outlaw Josey Wales is nothing special.

Bernard Herrmann passed away at the end of 75, but they nominated him for Obsession and Taxi Driver. Taxi Driver is his fifth best score, but even that cracks the top 100. Great use of a sax and nice way to end a wonderful career.

Scores not nominated include...

Rocky by Bill Conti - Great main theme, but the filler music leaves alot to be desired. Which I guess is why it wasn't nominated. But you'd think the main theme could have carried it to a nomination at least.

Midway by John Williams - Not his best work, but it's catchy.

Murder By Death by David Grusin Very playful score for a mediocre movie with a great cast. Surprisingly Grusin doesn't really make much use out of a piano in this one.

Silent Movie by John Morris - Another playful score to a comedic flick. Morris really captured the spirit of the silent film era. I had the theme to Engulf and Devour stuck in my head for a month once.

4. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Rocky should have won,The omen is an outstanding score no doubts but Rocky is a moving score

5. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I haven't heard "The Omen", but both Herrmann scores are outstanding, although "Obsession" is basically a homage to "Vertigo".

Still, "Taxi Driver" is an amazing score, and quite frankly "The Omen" will have to be brilliant to beat it.

6. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001

Oh you must get the soundtrack to the Omen. It's an essential Goldsmith score. I really think you'll like it.

7. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001

Birds Do It, Bees Do It - Gerald Fried
    Bite the Bullet - Alex North
    Jaws - John Williams
    One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest - Jack Nitzsche
    The Wind and the Lion - Jerry Goldsmith

WINNER: Jaws by John Williams

A well deserved win. The score itself is alright, but it's the main theme that gets it the win. So simple and frightening.

I've never heard Bite the Bullet nor Birds Do It, Bees Do It. [face_tired]

The Wind and the Lion is a nice Goldsmith score, but I tend think it's overrated. Maybe it's just me.

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest doesn't have much music to it, but when it does pop up, it's unique. I actually think it's quite clever. When the movie starts, I was wondering why the score sounded so Native American, but by the end of the film it worked out pretty well.

8. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    I love The Great Shark Chase.

9. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I haven't heard any of these except Jaws. Which, of course, is brilliant.

10. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    I agree. Many people claim that it's one of Goldsmith's best scores, and while I like it, it doesn't blow me away with it's brilliance.

That and Jaws are the only ones that I've heard from the list, and I would have to go with Jaws. It has a great theme and works wonderfully with the film, but I don't find myself listen to it often.

11. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001

Chinatown - Jerry Goldsmith
    The Godfather Part II - Nino Rota and Carmine Coppola
    Murder on the Orient Express - Richard Rodney Bennett
    Shanks - Alex North
    The Towering Inferno - John Williams

WINNER: The Godfather Part II by Nino Rota and Carmine Coppola

Not a shocker on the winner. Basically the academy making up for the incident a few years earlier which we'll get to. Great score with new themes and returning ones. I wouldn't have picked it for this year, but that's just me.

Never heard Shanks.

The Towering Inferno is pretty good. Good score to a mediocre movie in my opinion. I like how the main theme builds the height of the tower up.

Chinatown by Jerry Goldsmith is well liked, but I tend to believe it's overrated. Still top 100 or even 50, but not as spectacular as people make it out to be. Well deserved nomination though.

Murder On The Orient Express is my favorite of the bunch. It goes from adventurous to mysterious, to dark and forboding. Great use of themes by Bennett. Top 100 for me.

Other scores not nominated include Young Frankenstein by John Morris, The Sugarland Express by John Williams, and the Taking of Pelham One Two Three by David Shire. All great scores but I guess Shanks was better?

12. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    My computer crashed last week so it's been a slow recovery with the new comp.

Anyways...

Cinderella Liberty - John Williams
    The Day of the Dolphin - Georges Delerue
    Papillon - Jerry Goldsmith
    A Touch Of Class - John Cameron
    The Way We Were - Marvin Hamlisch

WINNER: The Way We Were by Marvin Hamlisch

I guess the Way We Were is most remembered by the love theme/song. I think it's a good piece and the score is alright and deserved the win this year because frankly, it wasn't the best year in film music.

Never heard of John Cameron or A Touch of Class.

Papillon was a nice long movie, but the score kinda fades from memory. Not Goldsmith's best. But from this year...

It took me forever to find Cinderella Liberty. It came on one night on cable. I wasn't impressed. Sorry Johnny.

The Day of the Dolphin is one of Delerue's best and could have one this year also. But I guess the song in the Way We Were was too much.

Other scores not nominated include Enter the Dragon by Lalo Schifrin and Serpico by Mikis Theodorakis.

13. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    I'm very rarely impressed with Pre-Jaws Williams.

14. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    I've not seen the movie, but I got my hands on the score about a month ago and it's really enjoyable. It has a gorgeous main theme and the rest of album is a very solid listen.

And I agree, Cinderella Liberty didn't impress me at all either.

15. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001

Images - John Williams
    Limelight - Charles Chaplin, Raymond Rush, and Larry Russell
    Napolean and Samantha - Buddy Baker
    The Poseidon Adventure - John Williams
    Sleuth - John Addison

WINNER: Limelight by Charles Chaplin, Raymond Rush, and Larry Russell.

[face_plain]

The only two I've heard are Images and the Poseidon Adventure. The Poseidon Adventure being my favorite of the two. Limelight from what I know was made long before it was released. Especially the score since both Rush and Russell had been dead for many many years before the nomination.

Sleuth was a last minute nomination as it replaced the Godfather which was rejected after they found out portions of the score Rota wrote, he took from his other score for Fortunella. Tragic since Godfather would easily have won.

Other scores not nominated include The Cowboys by John Williams and Frenzy by Ron Goodwin.

16. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Images is just plain weird, and I do love The Cowboys.

17. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Any more entries, Hook?

18. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Wow, I didn't know that about The Godfather. Of course it should have been the winner.

That brings to mind, again, that Academy rule about the 'originality' of the score, at least in terms of work composed by the same individual. I think there are varying degrees of originality, and certainly the simple re-use of themes, where appropriate, should not necessarily disqualify a score. Of course, thematic consistency within a series of films is different from "borrowing" a theme you wrote for an entirely different story, but still, I think you need to judge the new score on its entirety.

19. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    I didn't think anyone was interested in this anymore. I'll start it back up over the weekend. [face_dancing]

20. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    I agree that a score shouldn't be overlooked just because it reprises themes from a previous installment. If the new music is quite a stand out, it should be considered. But Rota plagiarized himself here. Kinda like Horner does alot with Aliens and Patriot Games etc

But I hate how Limelight was considered 20 years after it was made. Apparently the reason why it was never considered for an oscar in those 20 years was because it never played in a Los Angeles theater, and thus it was never considered. Surely that logic doesn't make any sense and certainly isn't standard practice today I should think.

Anyways, moving on.

Mary, Queen of Scots - John Barry
    Nicholas and Alexandra - Richard Rodney Bennett
    Shaft - Isaac Hayes
    Straw Dogs - Jerry Fielding
    Summer of 42 - Michel Legrand

WINNER: Summer of 42 by Michel Legrand.

Out of those choices, it was the appropriate one. It's Legrands best work and he really identified the score with the period. Beautiful main theme. I think Shaft was its closest com petition as it was a unique score and really helped usher in a new era of film scores.

I've heard Straw Dogs before and it's alright, but nothing too great. The others I've never heard before.

Scores not nominated this year include The Andromeda Strain by Gil Melle, The Omega Man by Ron Grainer, Cinderella Liberty by John Williams, Dirty Harry by Lalo Schifrin, and The Mephisto Waltz by Jerry Goldsmith.

I'm kinda shocked they didn't nominated Diamonds Are Forever by John Barry or Get Carter by Roy Budd.

21. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    For some reason, Shaft seems to get an oddly proprotional amount of prasie. I was reading a list of someone's 'loose canon' (the all-time great works of art,music and literature), and the score for Shaft appeared on it. While it did contain a few other worthy film scores, this choice seems odd considering how many greater scores are out there. And it didn't even win the Oscar. :p

edit: Oh yeah, John Barry. I love his Bond scores. I know that DAF isn't high on everyone's list, as a film or a score, but I rather like it in both regards.To me, Shirley Bassey singing "Diamonds Are Forever" is better than her "Goldfinger".

22. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    That's a big call, GK. I like Diamonds, but there's no way it's better than Goldfinger. :p

Anyway, this is a pretty sparse year.

23. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001

Airport - Alfred Newman (Posthumous nomination. Newman died 17th November 1970)
    Cromwell - Frank Cordell
    I Girasoli - Henry Mancini
    Love Story - Francis Lai
    Patton - Jerry Goldsmith

WINNER: Love Story by Francis Lai

Great score by Lai. The love theme is perfect and it was a good win. Piano love themes seem to hit the spot for me. Aside from Patton though, there wasn't much competition. Patton could have won though. It's a classic from Goldsmith. The simple fanfares in that movie are almost genius.

Never heard I Girasoli and Cromwell and Airport are nothing to worship.

Scores not nominated include The Last Valley by John Barry, The Molly Maguires by Henry Mancini, Taste the Blood of Dracula by James Bernard, Two Mules For Sister Sara by Ennio Morricone, Tora! Tora! Tora! by Jerry Goldsmith, The Poseidon Adventure by John Williams, On Her Majesty's Secret Service by John Barry, The Reivers by John Williams, and Ryan's Daughter by Maurice Jarre.

Now I'm not sure any of them would have won, but they'd have been much better competition than Cromwell or Airport. But Airport was nominated because Newman died.

My nominations probably would have been...

Love Story - Francis Lai
    The Molly Maguires - Henry Mancini
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service - John Barry
    Patton - Jerry Goldsmith
    Ryan's Daughter - Maurice Jarre

24. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Well, OHMSS is the best Barry-bond ( :p ) score, so that's gotta be worth something.

Similarly, The Poseidon Adventure is a very good Williams effort.

Still, Love Story is good, if somewhat over-the-top. Still, so is the film, so I guess it works. :p

25. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I would have gone with Patton, even though I haven't seen all of the other films.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.