main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Oscar(that hollywood thing) this year..

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Ghost-of-Spider, Mar 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost-of-Spider

Ghost-of-Spider Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2000
    Another boring thread(I'm making a record) who is your pick?
    1. Best Movie
    2. Best Actor
    3. Best Actress

Vote now pls, otherwise I'll have to think of another topic.

2. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I never seem to agree with the ones that get picked.
    I'd pick Gladiator for best movie. I'd be inclined to pick Crowe for best actor too. I don't know much about the other nominees and it's about time he got one. He was good in Gladiator.
    I can't remember who the actress nominees were.
    I think Gladiator will clean-up overall. I'd certainly pick it for visual effects. The guys at ILM out-did the Mos Espa arena with their Rome scenes.

3. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    after perusing the nominees, Gladiator should get everything it's nominated for, it's a masterpiece and a work of art.
    And a rare film I can relate to on a personal level.
    The perfect movie, imho....

4. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    It was a great movie guys-Hollywood don't make them like it no more, type stuff. But it will not get the Oscar(damn shame)the "Traffic" thing will get just about everything-typical hollywood v drug stuff(a fav thing). Roberts will get the gong for actress.
    That's my thoughts-but hell I'd LOVE to see Crowe make a speech :)

5. Ethane

Ethane Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2001
    Well being a total movie nut, i would have to say that gladiator was a wee bit over rated. Sure it had a good storyline, but I think they should have cast someone else for the bad guy role. Joaquin Phoenix was just a little too camp for my liking. Russell Crowe on the other hand was a veritable giant on the screen. As a footnote I would just like to express my opinion that in that particular movie, he looked like a young Alec Guinness, even sounded like him. Not too sure if that was just me, but I personally reckon he would have made a better Obi-wan than Ewan McGregor, not that McGregor is a bad actor I think he's good in the role and in most roles I have seen him in, in fact he's brilliant. But I just think Crowe would have blitzed it. Shame Lucas didn't consider him.

6. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't really give a stuff on the Oscars. As long as the Aussies get a nomination, that's OK with me.

GO RUSSELL CROWE!!!
    GO GOEFFORY RUSH!!!
    GO AUSSIE GO!!! (See, I had to get something cricket in there!)

7. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    I would expect nothing less Nat :)
    Ethane, nice to hear from you it's funny you mentioned Crowe as a young Sir Alec, when I saw Gladiator I thought he had young Burton.

Given the right choices the man could make a name for himself, he can act and his attitude gives an impression of old time stakes. I'd love to see him pull it off on oscar night----the speech would make every Kiwi/Aussie proud.

As for "camp" I thought JP played the part OK-not quite strong enough for me. But the character still came through.

8. Princess_Lego

Princess_Lego Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    The deleted scenes on the DVD really develop the character a lot more, you can see what an absolutely terrifying nutcase Comodus was. Instead of the image you get of him, in the normal version, as a insecure kid trying to look all strong and important.

9. JediLeia21

JediLeia21 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Definetly gladiator for me , it is a brilliant movie and yes i agree comodus was a complete nutcase , but it was jealosy and hatred that turned him that way i would say

10. Ghost_of_Caesar

Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I have to agree with Princess_Lego on the bit about the deleted scenes from Gladiator - quite a few of them added a lot to Commodus' character, made him to be more than what was seen in the regular cut.

11. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    That's what I thought without DVD-he played a great role, you guys said it better.

12. SoulKrusher

SoulKrusher Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    Gladitor on DVD is awesome. To bad they dropped the Rhino scene, that would have been good.

I picked up Scary Movie on DVD the other day, I saw it when it came out but man its still funny the second time I watched it. :)

13. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    Haven't seen it, don't want to see it. And don't anyone tell me to watch Fight Club, otherwise, I won't be coming back to this forum again.

14. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Someone's been forgetting the first 2 rules of Fight Club. ;)

15. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Well maybe you shouldn't bring me every piece of trash you happen to pick up. ;)

16. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    His name is Bobba Fett.

17. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    You are not your Lightsaber! you are not the amount of years you have spent as a padawan, you are not a unique asteroid!

OK, we'll stop now :)

18. Ethane

Ethane Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2001
    My lightsaber is my weapon! Without my lightsaber I am nothing! without me my lightsaber is nothing!

(obscure reference to Full Metal Jacket, A boot camp scene, SM should get this one)

And

I am a big, bright beautiful Jedi, I am a big bright beautiful Jedi

19. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    And from Gladiator....

I am Darthen Anakus Vadum Skywalkus
    Dark Lord of the armies of the Sith,
    Servant of the true Emperor Palpatine,
    Husband to a previously unmentioned wife,
    Father to a whiny son, And I will have my vengeance, in this trilogy or the next!

And Ethane, did you know the drill Seargent in FMJ is a real marine drill seargent?

20. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    <stupid question alert>

I wonder if he was acting out events that actually happened to him in real life then.

21. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    He was called in as an advisor to train the actor who originally got the part in how a drill seargent behaves, he told the director there was no possible way the actor could measure up, the director, I forget his name, said to him, "So, you think you could play yourself in front of a camera?"
    he actually went on to other films after that, firebase gloria is the only other one I can think of atm tough....
    anyway, I think anyone who has been through boot camp and the army has been in at least one of those situations.

22. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    I would say ditto for anyone who has joined the military.
    Basic training is something you have to do, something you hate while doing it, but something you love afterwards LOL.

23. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    The only way you could love it afterwards is if you go back as an NCO, and use all the same terror tactics that were used on you....

24. JediLeia21

JediLeia21 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    the guy that directed Full metal jacket name was stanley kubrick , i should know i have the FMJ at home as well as the shining

25. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I haven't seen that movie for years. It is the one where they're all singing the Mickey Mouse theme at the end isn't it?
    Must see it again some time.
    (Me love you long time!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.