main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TFA at the Oscars

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by bigbadwolf, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006

But they aren't purely narrative as well. All of SW stories aren't really that good to be honest. They are pulpy stories meant to be easily accessible as opposed to a great piece of story writing. SW is different because it is a strong combination of the story AND the SFX. It's why Lucas felt he couldn't make a live action SW TV series because he knows the SFX is still crucial to the storytelling.

While you should over-emphasize the use of SFX, you shouldn't de-emphasize the SFX as well. SFX aren't there to service they story. The SFX sequence itself is a form of storytelling. PIctures tells a thousand words. It's also why people keep saying LOTR can't be adapted into a movie before the rise of CGI.

If the SFX is merely there to serve the story, you end up with SFX that won't win any SFX award. That is the problem with JJ's Star Trek film, and many of the films that ILM were working on. The films themselves have no avenue for the SFX artists to push their boundaries and create new ways of visual storytelling for the audience. It's why Avatar made more money than Star Trek 09, was nominated for best picture( narrowly losing out to The Hurt Locker) and why it did won best SFX. Avatar is a what a modern Star Wars would be, NOT JJ's Star Trek. Not being able to understand that Cinema is a visual medium and SW has always been about finding ways to present the story in new and interesting visual format is failing to understand what SW is about.

If the Academy is willingly to nominate a film that is essentially a retelling of an old story ( Dances with the Wolves) for best picture because the visuals greatly enhanced the story, then that should be the approach TFA should take.

2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    DarthLightlyBruise

what did you think of the CGI in Return Of The King VS the Prequels, the Oliphant scene with Legolas being Horrible CGI or the Ghosts and Aragorn come to mind ??

and It's all Politics at the Oscars, and the Academy just doesn't Like George for what ever reason, may be for being creative and out of the box, if you have ever seen the Documentary Empire Of Dreams they discus it in detail in that, and it is not just George that gets hurt by there hate of him it is also his friends in Hollywood especially Steven Spielberg, Steven deserves way more Awards then he has gotten and that has everything to do with his friendship with George. At least George got the AFI Life Achievement Award which I originally taped on VHS but have since Dubbed to DVD, which Is cool because you cant buy it on DVD because the AFI organization is a non profit organization and don't put there programs on DVD and Blu-Ray .....

3. Ligenot

Ligenot Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    They gave his third feature film six Academy Awards. How can the Academy hate the director of one of the most decorated films in the history of that particular organisation?

4. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    The Force Awakens will win as many Oscars as the critically acclaimed "The Lego Movie" :confused:

danmcken likes this.
  5. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Guys and Gals,

This is off topic but I need a moment to soapbox :p

Has anyone seen this supposed buzz about a "strange creepy" encounter between Scarlet Johannson and John Travolta? I happened upon it on weekly news round up on TV - I mean seriously this pap is making on to TV news now? :rolleyes:

Honestly, just how thick are these people that started all that rubbish?8-}

What in the young woman's reaction, in any way, depicts this peck on the cheek as anything but a friendly hello or sight bit of mischief between acquaintances?

Johannson's response happily reminds me that there are still intelligent people out there.

Here endth my rant.

Thank you and good day. ;)

6. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'll reserve making actual predictions about the chances TFA has come awards season until I've actually seen the film, but if it has a really warm reception, I could see it getting nominations in a good amount of technical categories: visual effects, sound editing, sound mixing, production design. Costumes, makeup and score are also good possibilities.

8. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
  9. TurboPGT

TurboPGT Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 15, 2015
    Who cares? Oscars are joke. Just more fodder to fill in between advertising.

10. Sithians

Sithians Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 15, 2015
    This film will not get an Oscar...more like an MTV movie award for best fight or something..

11. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    For me, the negative comments about the movie from Mike Verta's ILM friends significantly decrease the probability of any nominations in the hard hitting categories (picture, director, writing, acting). That doesn't mean that it won't please anybody but it probably won't please everybody, which is what the film really needs to do to be considered for any major awards. Then again there's a (very) small chance that Verta was lying or that his ILM buddies are the negative-needle in a haystack of positivity .
    Technical noms are pretty much guaranteed though. Effects, sound, set design, score, and maybe even cinematography (should there be more "wow!" shots like the downed Star Destroyer).

12. TheTwinSuns

TheTwinSuns Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2013
    Who is Mike Verta?

13. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I hate the Oscars, I don't know y I even watch It every year..
    All the AMAZING:oops: true storie movies win..[face_beatup]

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  14. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Even if Verta's story is accurate, since when are VFX people the best judges of a film's quality? They're usually annoyed when they don't get to control the entire look and feel of the film, so their disillusionment might even be a positive.

15. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    If VFX guys aren't the best judges of a film's quality, wouldn't it be bad if the movie couldn't even please them? And I doubt they'd complain about having less work to do. The life of a VFX artist on large movies can often be fairly hellish and any decrease of the workload would probably be seen as a good thing.

16. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    It's not about them having low standards. It's simply that they might have entirely different tastes than a lot of moviegoers. Personally, the only reviewers I trust are smart critics who share my tastes. I don't know anything about these VFX people, and what kinds of films they enjoy, so why would I trust their judgment? For all I know, Ewe Boll might be their favorite director.

17. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I predict it will win at least a couple. SW is made by Lucasfilm. Lucasfilm is owned by Disney.

I would guess the Disney bigwigs are mates with the Academy bigwigs, and the Academy bigwigs may do the Disney bigwigs a favour and give SW that extra gravitas with the general public, that the franchise may well need to keep it going (and going, and going, and going, and going.....).
    Hell, the Academy bigwigs may even do it just to spite GL because he was a vocal detractor.

Take those two possibilities at the same time and TFA may even get best picture. [face_laugh]
    Maybe. ;)

18. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    It is good to receive awards for good work. I just do not think that an Oscar is a measure of good movies. This is because many good movies do not make the short list and the politics that lie behind the nominations show that it is not reasons of art that movies are chosen.
    If we like the movie - then it has already got its "Oscar".

19. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    So, the year is nearing its end and the premiere of The Force Awakens is approaching faster than light.

Which brings me right to the point - what are the chances of it receiving any Oscar nominations at the Academy Awards in February next year in 2016? Better yet - what are the chances of it actually winning any? Or for worse - what are the chances of it not getting any nominations at all...?

I feel like TFA is almost guaranteed at least one nomination for either Best Visual Effects, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Costume Design or Makeup purely out of respect for the legacy of the films. Every Star Wars film has received at least one nomination before, so it would be pretty disgraceful if TFA walked away "empty-handed".

So far, 2015 is winding up to become a tough year for competition. In TFA's possible categories, I'd say these are the biggest rivals:

Mad Max: Fury Road (visual effects, sound editing, sound mixing, costume design, makeup)
    Jurassic World (visual effects, sound editing, sound mixing)
    Avengers: Age of Ultron (visual effects, sound editing, sound mixing)
    The Martian (visual effects, sound editing, sound mixing)
    Spectre (visual effects, sound editing, sound mixing)

To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if Mad Max: Fury Roads wins in all those categories (and more). Nevertheless, I certainly do believe that TFA will get at least one or two nominations in those above categories.

What do you think?

Othini likes this.
  20. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    I think it has a good chance in costumes, though period movies do really well in these categories too

Hopefully it gets something for music as well

21. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I'm really not sure about the music. John Williams won for Star Wars in 1978 and received nominations for both Empire and Jedi, but didn't receive any nominations for the prequels at all. Which has always bugged me a little, since John Williams music in the prequels are one of the best things about those films.

Perhaps the Oscar jury simply thinks John Williams already has enough wins and nominations...

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The TFA score seems to be somewhat co-written as well. If Williams isn't responsible for all the tracks, that may undermine its chances.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge (and title updated)

Othini likes this.
  24. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Was about to open an Oscar thread - but here we go.
    Each year i feel i care less and less for the Oscars, there has been some terrible politically correct decisions over the past years.
    And except from ANH - Oscar has not really been a good friend for Star Wars. And maybe it does not matter. But lets have some fun with it.

But here is Scott Feinberg of Hollywood Reporters latest forecast for this years race. Good graphical overview. And some surprises in terms of TFAs chances i will say. We also know now that very, very few people have seen TFA.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/aw...redictions/oscars/2015/academy-awards-112015/

Indications - tonight coming from the National Board Review where Mad Max is a winner. ( again - no reviewer have seen TFA )

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/national-board-review-2015-winners-844862

25. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Projected Nominations (Winners bolded)

Best Cinematography
    Best Visual Effects
    Best Costume Design
    Best Film Editing
    Best Production Design
    Best Sound Editing
    Best Sound Mixing
    Best Original Score