Oseanaca - JA, Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Antigone, Jul 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antigone Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Title: Oseanaca
    Author: Antigone
    Spoilers: Not a one
    Timeframe: Obi is 16
    Archive: If you want it, just ask.
    Summery: A terrible attack leaves Obi-Wan doubting the righteous will of the Force.
    Disclaimer: I own nothing. The characters are the brainchild of the all powerful GL, I?m just playing.

Well, I found this in the jumble which is my Microsoft Word and realized I had never posted it here - so now I am :D . Hope you like!

Oseanaca was beautiful.

Not a single being who was ever so fortunate as to grace her water-smoothed surface could claim otherwise. There was just something about her that dazzled the senses ? formed a temporary barrier which, for a few glorious moments, shut everything ? everything ? out, leaving one?s mind free to be simply content.

Most of those who have had the pleasure claim ? after much deliberation ? the sunsets to be the most powerful spectacle ? the essence of Oseanaca. The planet?s singularity was based, mainly, upon its composition. Oseanaca was nearly 90 percent water. The small amount of land which occupied the remaining area was stretched in long strips of spotted green across the planet?s predominantly blue outer layer. A leisurely, half a day?s stroll would be enough ? in most areas ? for a person to travel from one coast to another, a point which made, in contrast to most planets, the scant property inland preferred to the surplus of oceanfront homes.

But, again, the feature that drew beings from the far reaches of the galaxy was the sunsets. Sunrises, to be fair, possessed the same ability to steal the breath of the unsuspecting and engulf the soul in wave after wave of pure calm, pure bliss ? all the being need do is accept. But sunrises, though they gave the same effect, were rarely observed for, with sunset a mere three standard hours prior, not many of those who witnessed the sun?s departure ? the majority of the seekers ? would give up even a moment of their amazingly peaceful sleep.

The beaches were the real explanation for such result. The fine grains which blanketed the coastal land were the remnants, not of ordinary rock, but of crystal, making the days astoundingly beautify and the sunsets indescribable. The crystal, during the daylight hours, not only reflected the glare of the sun, but absorb enough to, rather than throw back the same blinding intensity, softly sparkle white light ? with the occasional patch of brilliant color. While the basic performance remained the same as the sun began its final descent to its three hour respite, to compare it to noonday would have been blasphemous. The sky was alight with color, the sun seemed to grow in both size and luminosity, and the water?The hues seen in the sky would have been enough to draw the occasional tourist, but when the light carried their brilliance down to the land, catching it on the billions of natural prisms, the entire planet shined. The beaches flamed with every color imaginable ? and then some ? and that same coloring ? a phenomenon occurring twice daily ? reflected with greater intensity the light shone upon it, and somehow directed that light into the pristine waters. A whirl of astonishment lasting for, precisely, seven minutes and twenty-three seconds.

There was no scientific explanation as to why this happened ? perhaps no one really wanted to know the reasoning behind it ? but it embraced all who would let it, warmed them, caressed them?

Those were the longest seven and a half minutes of Obi-Wan Kenobi?s life. He stood, next to his master, wishing only that the show would end and all present would return to what they came to the beach to do. Bury the dead.

Two people ? *two* people ? had lost their lives needlessly, and those who came to mourn stopped for seven minutes and took part in, supposedly, one of the most pleasurable experiences in the galaxy. Well, he would not commit such disrespect. And so he stood, waiting for the sun to, at last, fully conceal itself below the horizon and for the funeral to continue.

Twilight settle
  2. Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight

star 6
    Brilliant piece of writing Antigone. Just brilliant :)
  3. Antigone Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Ginger ::blushes:: thank you! I wanted to make something...pretty. Glad you liked!

~Antigone
  4. Antigone Jedi Youngling

star 1
  5. naw ibo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Really love story, Antigone. And I've always loved the idea of planets with large deposits of crystals everywhere, so I love the setting. :)
  6. Naeva Jedi Youngling

Excellent story Antigone!
  7. snowbee-wan kenobi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    That was great Antigone!
    Good job!
  8. CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I know this isn't the first time I've read this - it's too memorable for me to have forgotten, though I don't remember where I saw it before. But it is no less lovely and thought-provoking the second time around.

What a perfect way to capture and illustrate the Jedi creed - and the way a relationship between Master and padawan should be.

Champagne and roses for the author!
  9. Loryn_Wilde Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I feel like you spent a lot of time with this. It's got so much packed into that one post - it has depth and beauty and a wonderful setting. The whole idea of it is wrapped together so nicely that I'm sure I won't forget it.

:D

Lore
  10. Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Wow this is a really good little story.
  11. Jedi_Kitiara Jedi Youngling

star 1
  12. Jovieve Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Nice, I really like the interaction between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Very understanding.

I like the crystals as well. I remember reading about a silicon based planet in an old Alan Dean Foster novel where the beaches were all crystals and looked like heaped gemstones. Unlike your beautiful world, the people who lived on that sea world couldn't go out in the daylight without eye protection the reflection was so bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.