main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OST Anthology: Disc 4 - why does it sound so different?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Defiance, Apr 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defiance

Defiance Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 16, 1999
    I just noticed that Disc 4 of the soundtrack anthology sounds different somehow. I'm not talking about the actual music being different, but just how it sounds. Was it recorded differently? I really like the way Disc 4 sounds.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    It was recorded at three different times. Namely the times when each films' score was recorded. The four discs were all mastered by the same person over the same period when the Anthology was produced. I don't think disc four sounds different at all. I think the tracks from ANH sound like ANH, the tracks from TESB sound like TESB and the tracks from ROTJ sound like ROTJ....

3. Defiance

Defiance Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 16, 1999
    FWIW, when I listened to the ROTJ disc and then Disc 4, the way the ROTJ tracks sounded in Disc 4 is different than on Disc 3. Disc 4 seems to have better distribution among all the frequencies whereas Disc 3 had more pronounced highs. It could be my imagination, I don't know. What's a good way to determine if the sound spectrum is really different (quantitively)? Run a Fourier analysis?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.