main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC17 OT action figures in abundance or scarce at Celebration?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by GaelTrooper, Sep 30, 2016.

1. GaelTrooper

GaelTrooper Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2016
    Hi all. I have a question about what I can expect as far as the amount of OT 3 3/4" action figures I will see for sale at Celebration. (Since 2017 will be my first one) Can any of you, who have been to previous Celebrations, tell me if I will see a lot of vendors selling (or even trading for that matter) original Kenner OT action figures or can I expect just a few booths?
    I'm trying to gage how much money I'll need to bring- if there will be an abundance of original figures there- or not

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I know I saw some at the recent CE - I think it depends on the vendor mix that you get. Just make sure you're buying the real thing and not a clever fake.

If CE is anything to go by you'll have a large selection of vendors to choose from.

3. GaelTrooper

Sep 26, 2016
    That's great to hear! Yes I'm well versed in what to look for as far as COOs, dates, etc. as far as spotting fakes.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    As far as money goes, I know larger vendors (like ones representing stores) were set up to take debit/credit cards. Also the venue we were in had ATMs but the lines tended to be long. A better bet would be to find an ATM in/near your hotel that takes your debit card - preferably without charging a fee for it.

5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    There will be quite a few vendors selling all kinds of action figures from different eras. And you'll even find that some aren't nearly as rare or pricey as you may have previously thought.

6. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I found that the prices varied greatly between vendors, so be prepared to shop around!

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Also if you are going for the whole Celebration, or will be there on the last day, do a final sweep of the vendor areas later in the afternoon. Some vendors will knock prices down rather than pack stuff up for shipping back. At the recent CE Forbidden Planet's stand wanted £25 for 6-inch Black Series Jango Fett but they had plenty of them so I waited and got it for £22.99 on the last day.

8. GaelTrooper

Sep 26, 2016
    Yes I have heard it's very wise to bring lots of cash as opposed to having to wait in long lines for ATMs.
    That's good to know - that vendors Barry greatly on pricing! Also good to hear some figures aren't as rare or expensive as I might think. (Based on eBay or Brian's Toys)
    Although I do have a 4 day pass- we are planning on hitting Disney on Sunday to hit star tours and some of the new SW attractions. (I haven't been in about ten years) so unfortunately I won't be able to swing through the vendors in Sunday afternoon.

9. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Most vendors at Celebration Anaheim were setup with debit/credit card readers. But having plenty of cash on hand is helpful

Regarding the action figures, I recall seeing quite a few. Many had loose ones for sale but there were a lot of carded figures too. I would suggest shopping around, but also some dealers may put their hot items out on the first day hoping to make it a profitable trip, so get there early.

10. GaelTrooper

Sep 26, 2016
    Well seeing how I collect loose figures, that's good to hear!
    I had thought that as well- might be wise to hit all the vendors on Thursday as all the good "only one piece" figures could get snapped up on day one.

11. dante144

dante144 Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    There should be lots. Lots.

12. GaelTrooper

Sep 26, 2016
    So it sounds like my biggest concern should actually be: bringing enough money!

13. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I know right!

Seriously though I've been doing side work coding for local businesses that have crap e-commerce sites to make some extra cash. I'm taking my son this time and I pretty much don't want to say no if he asks to do something. I want this to be a trip he remembers for a life time.

14. GaelTrooper

Sep 26, 2016
    I'm sure it will be! That's great!

15. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Yes, when dealing with vendors, especially with vintage things, remember to bring CASH. I know they all have card readers but you will find that hard currency will go a lot further in negotiations than a card that will cost them a fee.

16. xyloren

xyloren Jedi Master star 2

Feb 19, 2016
    I'm also interested in buying some vintage figures, but I am new and don't want to buy anything unless I know how to spot a fake. What do you look for?