main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars OT: Atonement Green Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by jedilucass, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Okay, someone had to start a topic, and since I'm starting this costume for a formal, might as well be me, as they say in the lottery commericals. :)

All known info is on this page over at Costumer's Guide: info

I've got several questions for those who have seen this costume in person.

-Patone match?
    -Where is the front slit? Is it directly center front or off to the side?

okay, make that a couple of questions.

oh! And one general question.

What style would you call the bracelet worn with this?
    ~Laura

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    It's at FIDM right now, and I think JainaMSolo got details on it? Or one of our friends did, at least...

I really didn't look at it too much, I'm sorry to say. I just did the "wow, pretty, damn Kiera's a twig," and then turned around to sit in front of Sweeney Todd costumes for an hour. :p

3. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
    Yeah, she is a twig. The auctioned dress at www.clothesoffourback.org said it was a size 2. [face_mischief]

Good thing is I'm totally not a twig. I never let twigs stop me from making gowns.

And adding another question out there: the bodice has what has been called laser cut outs on it. Right now I'm currently looking at doing the design in maybe flesh tone embroidery or something about lace patterns on embroidery machines (I'm having a woman help with the fitting of the muslin version to get it just right). I did a google search, and got nothing that I could understand. Anyone know anything about it? Mainly where I could get it done and price range?

~Laura

4. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Freya's really the one who's been studying this, and all her observations are on that Costumer's Guide page that you linked. We didn't have access to a Pantone book, so no color match on that.

5. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
    Thanks for the heads up. Reading the Costumer's Guide page, I'm wondering where I can get a hold of the Dunn-Edwards "Perfect Palette" book, just to make sure I get that right color match, because all of the greens I've seen so far at fabric stores just seem a bit off to me, and having somethign close to the actual color would be great.

Thanks,
    ~Laura

6. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Hey, lucky you! The Pantone Menace (that's me) visited FIDM this weekend. I didn't see your post before I left for my trip, but I did 3 pantone matches at FIDM this weekend and the green dress was one of them.

Pantone for fashion and home color guide: Mint Green 17-6333 TPX

Mind you, this is not a perfect match. If a spot light reflected the fabric, it looked brighter. Shadowy areas, darker. But this was the closest I could find in the middle tone range.

So, I was wondering, the dress fabric has a sort of fiber etched design along the neck line. But the dress is reportedly silk (though I can't find a quote from the designer saying it is silk). So how were the holes along the neckline put in? Is the dress really silk? Or perhaps it is actually rayon, which is period accurate.

*edit* Hum - I just saw the rest of the above post about laser etching. Never heard of that other than wood being laser etched. So, I guess it's possible but have no idea how to get that done.

LOL! I had about the same reaction. Only I took a moment to do a pantone match even though I know I'll never make that dress.

I could have hung out in front of the Sweeny Todd costumes for a few hours. It made me actually want to rent the movie that night since I had not seen it due to the repulsive subject matter. But that red striped dress is so innovative! Making strips out of white striped sheer chiffon and literally sewing them down on top of sheer red striped chiffon to create a custom plaid pattern... brilliant! I'd love to make that dress and wish I'd taken better notes on that (I know I've seen that striped chiffon).

7. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    It's not on video yet, Kathy. :(

And Really? I didn't even look at the striped dress much! :(

8. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
    thanks kay_dee for the pantone match!

I have zero info on the laser cut out deal. The more I look at it, the more I want to do it on my own version, but I have no idea how. Oh well, I'm sure I'll think up something about that. Right now the muslin of this gown is 50% done- we just need to fiddle with the skirt more and the bodice as well... and then the big scary using the actual fabric, which I need to buy this week....

~Laura

9. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I rented it in my hotel on Pay-per-view that night! That's how saw it :) It was gross, but the artistry of the movie and the way the story was told made it much better than a crappy movie like Charlie's Angels (I even liked it more than Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - LOL!)

Yes, the striped dress stunned me! Striped Chiffon or gauze... the type that has opaque satin stripes. Kind of like this stuff, but I think the stripes are narrower than .5" http://www.thaisilks.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_61&products_id=137&osCsid=8c5025bedeab79eda4fc8903580a04b Roughly 1cm wide stripes. The Red chiffon is the base, then strips of white chiffon in the same type were just cut into strips, the edges serged in a baby rolled hem finish to keep the strips from fraying, and then somehow sewn on top of the red base to make a plaid! Well, I wish I'd brought my binoculars to really confirm that since the red dress was back a ways... but I swear that's got to be how they made the fabric pattern.

10. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I LOVED Sweeny Todd I saw it in the theaters 3 times (the soundtrack is on my Ipod *dork*)! When I saw that Red/White dress I fell in love with it :) I think an easier way to make the stripes of white would be to maybe use a white organdy ribbon or chiffon ribbon (do they make chiffon ribbon?). I don't think I'd have the patience to baby roll hem that much yardage and then sew it all on... I think my poor machine might comit sewicide (REALLY bad pun I know).

11. Orliaan-Nabberie

Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2005
    The Sweeney Todd costumes were definitely my favorites of this year. :D I adored all of Mrs. Lovett's clothes, but the blue striped one with the blue corset was my absolute favorite. It looks like there are 2 kinds of stripes in the skirt -- 1/16" near the hem and 3/8" for the rest. I've been looking all over for fabrics for both, but it seems nigh unto impossible.

(I know this is an Atonement topic, but it looks like it's turned into Sweeney Todd, too! :p)

12. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000

Oh come on, you can't lie that our mad rush to Hollywood Blvd and running into the wrong theaters to see TMNT wasn't awesome?

"NEEEEEIIIIINNNNNN!" :p

Amd now back on topic...

13. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
    Personally, just on the Sweeny Todd costumes, I was too busy paying attention to people's singing that I didn't pay too much attention to them. That's what the dvd is for, anyway.....

Okay, two questions today, because my eyes hurt from studying pictures.

1) The "waist" strip of fabric that seperates the skirt from the bodice. Is it bias cut?

2) the back of the train. two pieces or three, and are the two outside pieces a bit longer than the center?

~Grateful thanks from a very tired laura.

14. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    Please tell me someone took pictures of the Todd exhibit? Please? Those of us who can't get out to LA for every exhibit would greatly appreciate it!

15. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    You can't take pictures of the exhibit. Some people have smuggled photos, but in general, you get yelled at by security.

16. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    Seriously? How come we were allowed to photograph the Star Wars exhibit then? They only said no flash photography. That sucks!

Anyone get any good notes on the regular Mrs Lovett dress (if it was on display at all)?

Edit: Found the other thread.

17. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Dressing A Galaxy only had to deal with one company's lawyers: LFL. Even then, you were only allowed non-flash, because flash over time bleaches fabric.

The Art of Motion Picture exhibit, however, has to deal with 25 or so sets of lawyers. FIDM just thinks that's a pain and just makes it a ground rule to have no photos.

At least that's what they told me. :p

18. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yikes, that's my fault. I was in a whimsical 'I don't want to worry if I'm on topic' mood. Sorry!

19. Jedi-Siri

Jedi-Siri Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2004
    I'm planning on making this costume for Dragon*Con. I have my fabric. I just bought a thin satin that looks like the right color to me. I'm not really looking to make the most accurate rendition of this gown, but I do love it and want to make it. I'm a bit confused as to how I'm going to do the design. I know it was laser cut but I have no idea where I could even get that done. Is it possible to make those tiny cuts and then put something around the edges, maybe some type of glue, to keep it in place?

20. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
    I actually thought about that, and then using something like "fray-check" to stop the ravelling and such. The problem I saw with that was that there are so many of those eyelets, and most are very very tiny. One of the many thought that ran through my head was embroiderying them in my flesh tone colored thread...but I kinda don't like that idea.

21. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    I also considered using some type of bead but I don't think it will look right. I also consdiered painting it but again I don't think it would look good. Hmm, I might try the fray check thing first.

22. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
    Another idea that came into my head three minutes ago *litterally, three minutes ago* was maybe somehow finishing off the raw edge on all of the, for lack of a better term, holes, making them all very tiny eyelets. Problems I see with this are that it takes away from the airy feeling of the bodice, and if one uses a thinner material, it might tear it, because those darned little holes go all the way down to the waist sash in the back....

I'm still thinking, though, because the more I see of those, I like them, I just need to find out how! :mad:

~Laura

23. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    I know I love the design. I would consider making the dress without them but they add something to the dress. I can't explain it but I'm sure you understand.

We just need to get our own laser and make the holes lol. I'm not starting this dress for sometime but I really want to start thinking about how to make the design. I'm going to experiment the fray check thing maybe this weekend and see what happens. I got alot more fabric then what I needed so I can experiment. :)

24. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
    I would LOVE to have the design on my version for it's may debut, but it's a bunch of greek life people and no one would notice "omg, she doesn't have the cut outs". But I would. This has proven to be the most difficult gown I've ever done, simply for sizing reasons. *read: I am not a twig* and getting it just right and hiding bras and all of that has been tough. But when I tried on concept one as we are calling it, I could see it coming together and SQUEE! And be careful what's under the fabric you are fray-checking- I've had stuff stick before, since it's such a thin fabric....

But for the moment research has been on that darned bracelet. I can do the hair stars, no problem. It's that bracelet- I check ebay every other day for new bracelets under "rhinestone cuff bracelet" and still there's nothing that screams "buy me". Firemountain Gems has sterling silver clay, and my dad is a retired art teacher, so I just might end up making that bracelet unless I can find one I like. Haven't tried the antique mall yet.

25. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    I completely understand what you mean. I am not a twig at all and on top of that I do have a chest on me. I am a bit nervous about having a practically backless dress on. I have a friend though who also has a large chest and does the Lake gown so that gives me a bit more confidence. I'm going to tape myself down and hopefully that will be enough.

You will definitly have to post pictures for its debut. I'm sure it's going to turn out just lovely.

And I'm glad it's not just my who is having trouble finding that bracelet. I've been checking stores all around and nothing. I might do a bit more searching this weekend though. If I find something I'll let you know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.