OT: Batgirl

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Maleficant, Jun 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Maleficant Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I know this is off-topic, but I didn't know where else to go with this question.

I have been thinking of making a Batgirl costume for soon time now and before I do anything else, I need to find a pair of bright yellow boots. If anyone can point me in the direction of getting these boots and maybe a website so I can find others making these types of costumes I would greatly appreciate it.

:D
  2. Primrodo Force Ghost

star 4
    This is off topic how?

You may want to try the RPF:

Here

Theres a few Batman costumers there :)
  3. Maleficant Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  4. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Also, give ******** a try. They do custom boots, and have done Batman TV-series replica boots before. www.*******.com

:)

---

Edit: Please do not openly post links to unauthorized dealers. It makes TPTB a little unhappy. Use PM instead.
  5. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
  6. emrld_knight58 Jedi Padawan

Try the ezboard page Brotherhood of the Bat. All they talk about is making batman or girl type costumes.
  7. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    guys, I didn't think I posted a link to an "unauthorized" dealer. I posted a name. Besides, isn't this guy fairly well-known anyway? ?[face_plain] I'm well aware of the rules here...
  8. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    In your original post you had the name, as well as the URL to his website. Mentioning the name is okay, though.
    It really doesn't matter how well known they are, they are still unlicensed. As noted by "prop lawyer" John Pisa-Relli in his Prop Ettiquette article, keeping a low profile is done out of respect for both the dealer/prop maker as well as the studios that own the copyrighted property.
    The dealers expose themselves to substantial risk doing what they do. We get to reap the benefits of their willingness to take such a risk by having access to allot of high quality items from some talented foks. True, they profit from this, and I'm not saying that what they are doing is riteous or noble, but most of the folks doing this are fans that use the money they make to buy stuff for their own collections. As far as I know Parks is the only person making a living off such things. It's not really a big deal to keep their info off the boards. As the FAQ notes, use the Private Messaging system instead.

Despite what some believe, the internet is not secret. It is not this underground, top secret resource that the studios don't know about. The various studios watch these boards, especially the RPF, which is argueably the center of such activity. They leave the small time dealers alone, but they have sent a few Cease and Desist orders out and they did sue Gerardo Fallano for $100,000. They know what is going on but for the most part they don't bother the small time, collector-to-collector commerce that occurs so often. While they have other reasons for not C&Ding every person who ever sold a blaster (it's bad publicity for LFL, it's also expensive to sue someone and probably not worth it considering most of these guys aren't rich or anything) the fact that they don't come down on everyone can and often is interpreted as a favor or a gesture of kindness from LFL. Being discreet about the information and the stuff we buy/sell is one way that we can return the favor.
  9. Maleficant Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree with the last post, and I certainly would hate to see anyone get into trouble. I had already visited that dealer and am waiting for a reply since the boots I want are not available there.

If anyone has other suggestions like I have been told repainting an existing pair of boots yellow could be an option, I would greatly appreicate it.

Thanks for the tips so far. :D
  10. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    Maleficant: Remember that this is not Wal-Mart, you aren't limited to the products already offered by him. You can contact him about making the boots you need. Most of the products out there were started because one person asked another to make them one. I know that MCB does custom boot work all the time.
  11. Maleficant Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.