main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars [OT] Battlestar Galactica Costumes (New Series)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Not sure how familiar anyone is with the new Battlestar Galactica. But in the show they have some really sleak costumes, two in particular, the Viper pilot (jumpsuit style with "flare") and an officer's uniform. I'll see if I can find a few pictures to post of them.

Well, being insane, I've decided to do two of each of these costumes (one or each for me and one for Errant_Venture). I have some stuff started on them but I was just wondering if anyone else is doing the costumes or had thoughts on them.

2. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Im planning on doing the BDU uniform.

3. Smiling-Otter

Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2001
    Cool. Good luck. Be sure to to check the forums at ASAP (http://p082.ezboard.com/bpropreplicas.) They have a good area for Galactica costumes, and one of the guys there makes really nice insignia. (I have Rebel and Imperial flight wings from him and they're awesome.)

The main issue with the Viper pilot outfits is the material. It think someone on that board has found a source, but its not something you'd find at your average fabric store.

For simplicity, I like the "away team" bdu's. The urban variant of Marine marpat camo, black web gear and boots, rank insignia, and sidearm. Ultra-easy, compared to the other uniforms on the show.

For the standard bdu's, the olive drab ones, there's a tutorial on www.sg-command.net that's most helpful.

4. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    The material is impossible to find, and super expensive when you do. $25-80 a yard. Ugh.

5. Darth_Capulus

Darth_Capulus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2005
    Are you looking for the side arm, or do you already have that weird pistol down?

6. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Yes, the ezboards are a great help for costuming as is the Stargate Command site.

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I have nothing done/planned except for the costumes themselves. Props and helmets are beyond my area of expertise. Aren't the guns really boxy in BSG? I never really looked at them.

What I've done so far Even though I'm re-doing everything I have done there you can still get a general idea where I'm going with it. I don't have anything of the Officer's up yet because there's nothing interesting done on them yet.

8. Darth_Capulus

Darth_Capulus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2005
    Alreight, the reason I ask is I know of a group of people that do budget friendly prop making, they don't do it as a business so you'll have to do some work on the props before you paint them and call them done,but worth a look. And they have the pistol of both the orignal and the new, so you'll see the old one at the top and further down is the new one.

http://www.newmoonprops.com/

9. Smiling-Otter

Mar 21, 2001
    One, unlicensed prop dealers aren't to be listed here.

Two, I have it on good authority that their new BSG blaster was recast without permission from the original maker. I don't know about any of their other items, but that's enough for me not to deal with them.

10. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    reading in the new official mag the costume designer says the fabric they used on the flightsuits was a one of custom fabric which maker then went out of business and they now have to be real careful with the flightsuits as they cant make any more. The fabric was a rubberised coated matt metallic olive green, with matt silver on the inside, I have from one of the actors that it was like wearing a sweatsuit as the cuffs, ankles and neck are sealed!

i love this suit and would love to make one myself and have found some similar fabric for the green and will use a silver fabric to line it with to gain the same effect of when the pilots wear the suit tied around their waists.

im also making a dress uniform. This can be done using a modified chefs jacket pattern.

11. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    Also in season 2 the marines use normal handguns you can find now, with slight modifications like scopes added and silencers. the assalt rifles they use are P90s with silencers attached!

12. Smiling-Otter

Mar 21, 2001
    They're also using the Beretta Storm, a fine little carbine. Unfortunately, I don't know of any airsoft versions of it yet.

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Chef's jacket, never though of that. I'm using a civil war uniform pattern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.