main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[OT]Decipher gets the Matrix licence!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by BrenDerlin, Feb 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
  2. SithDooku

SithDooku Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2002
  3. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    It's just for trading cards, not a game.

4. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Humm.... just "trading cards" and not a "TCG"? Doesn't sound like something Decipher would get involved with. I may be wrong, but I would suspect the license would evolve into a TCG at some point.

Wonder what the game mechanic would be like if they did one.

R'bolt

5. BrenDerlin

Apr 20, 2001
    True. This may end up to be just a footnote in decipher's history, but A guy can dream, can't he?

6. SithDooku

SithDooku Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2002
    Why not.

7. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
  8. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Announcement on Decipher's site that the Matrix trading card game has be nixed. From the sounds of it, other products may still be in development (under consideraton). Perhaps a Matrix CCG?

News Release

R'Bolt

9. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Minor correction, R'bolt: Plans for Matrix "trading cards" have been nixed ... there never were any official plans for a "trading card GAME" ... not YET, anyway ... ;)

10. BrenDerlin

Apr 20, 2001
    Hey, but take a look at this: Decipher and Warner Bros. Consumer Products continue to have a strong partnership and are currently working on other projects together.

Other projects......Hmmmm :)

Although you might not want to get your hopes up, they could just be working on another liscense from WB.

*Gets great idea*

Hey, Smallville CCG, anyone?

11. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Eh, Smallville CCG doesn't excite me.

But it is Warner Bros., which owns DC comics... [speculation mode=high] maybe they're thinking of a new DC comics CCG. Seeing the success of Heroclix could be encouraging them, and I'm sure Decipher can do a better job than Overpower or ReCharge. [/speculation mode] Then again, it may be nothing....

12. BrenDerlin

Apr 20, 2001
    well, it was the first WB liscense that came to mind... Actually the first one that came to mind was looney toons, and then Harry Potter. But since both of those are taken, who knows? Well, I'm not sure if Decipher would get into the Comic world, but I can certainly imagine how cool that would be..

Actually, hijacking my own thread for a bit, I've noticed (as I'm sure you have) that Decipher pretty much ONLY does liscensed games. At first glance, this makes sense from a marketing standpoint, as there are most likely more Star Wars or Lord of The Rings Fans in general, than CCG fans.

But consider for a moment that Decipher made a non-liscensed CCG. I mean, no restrictions from the property, no one complaining about them ruining the "true spirit" of the franchise; just pure freedom to make the game what they wanted.

And just think if they used the same basic star wars rules! Imagine how easy it would be to just pick it up, and see what card correlates to what card in SW.

And, of course there's no chance of the liscence being unexpectedly cancelled this way. :)

13. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2002
    How about a CCG about WWII or some other event in history. There is no way they would need a license and the whole thing caries over from Star Wars to WWII rules very easily.

Starship- Airplane
    Vehicle- Ships/ Ground Vehicles
    Character/Imperial- Character/German
    Character/Rebel- Character/American

Well, just a thought.

14. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    Still strong partnership between Decipher and WB? Hmmm... a Decipher DC card game would be nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.