main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT dialogue that work BETTER after the PT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darkfalz, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkfalz

Darkfalz Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2003
    Okay, enough about what the PT "broke" in terms of continuity and so on. What did it IMPROVE?

I'll go first.

"He has too much of his father in him."
    "That's what I'm afraid of."

The Anakin that young Owen and Beru met was hasty, arrogant, whiney, impatient and so on. Just like Luke (well, maybe Luke isn't arrogant).

2. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Pretty much anything Yoda tells Luke/ the one that sticks out is...

Luke: I've gotta go to them.
    Yoda: Decide you must what to serve them best. If you leave now, help them you could but you would destroy all for which they have fought and suffered.

In AOTC, Yoda decided to save Obi-Wan and Anakin instead of finishing off Dooku. Had he let them die, he could have killed Dooku and prevented the war and possibly even the Jedi Purge.

I'lllist more later when I thinkk of more.

3. Ididitall4thewookie

Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2004
    The whole "certain point of view" thing seems to be a little deeper than a convenient excuse for OB1 now.

4. chrazyman

chrazyman Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2005
    The best one has to be "Join me Padme and we can rule the galaxy as Husband and Wife" vs "Join me and we can rule the galaxy as Father and Son"

5. cbrowns4812

cbrowns4812 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 27, 2005
    Han's "ancient weapons and hokey religions are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" and Obi-Wan's reflective expression are more interesting. Obi-Wan remembering his experience with a blaster. Good stuff.

6. I_Bent_My_Wookie

I_Bent_My_Wookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Yoda in ROTJ:

"Soon will I rest. Forever sleep. Earned it, I have."

7. nisomer

nisomer Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2004
    When 3po is talking to r2 when they first arrive on tatooine saying "How did we get into this mess? I really don't know how." And inside your head you know that r2 knows about everything.

8. YodaOz

YodaOz Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    "Secret mission! What plans?!? I've just about had enough with you!"

Yep, R2 knew all along... And it makes C3-PO look really dumb. The dialouge between the two droids is even better now, knowing what R2 knew and what 3P0 didn't.

9. DarthSkeptical

DarthSkeptical Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2001
    Yah, R2 is just a rock star now. There's almost nothing he does in the OT that doesn't read a little differently now. He's definitely gone from comic relief, stumbling into trouble, to motivating actor, knowing precisely what he's doing.

Meanwhile, C3P0 has changed for me, too. While he's still pretty funny, I see him almost as a reflection of the fear of a young Anakin. I think it's too funny for words that he's supposed to be this "expert" on human relations, yet really the human who created him was 9 years old. There were a lot of people in 1999 who thought it was just too coincidental that Anakin created him, but I think it's a stroke of thematic genius.

10. Battlemaiden

Battlemaiden Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    Vader: Give yourself to the Dark Side.. It is the only way you can save your friends..

That line from Vader to Luke has much more meaning considering that Anaking went to the Dark Side due to his fear of losing Padme..

11. mvwg3003

mvwg3003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Darth Vader - "When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master."
    After twenty years he is still going on about it...

Perhaps also the fact the Obi-Wan now refers to Anakin as 'Darth' ("You can't win Darth..." etc) even though right up to the end of Episode III he still refers to him as Anakin - "You were my brother Anakin... I loved you..."

12. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Yoda: "Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future...the past.
    Old friends long gone"

- O_F

13. echo_seven

echo_seven Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Yoda: "Luke, DO NOT undersetimate the powers of the emperor"

This line hit me hard after watching the entire saga from start to finish. It reminded me of the confrontation between Yoda and Darth Sidious.

14. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Vader: There'll be no one to stop us this time!

Gives a good idea of some degree of resistence that the Senate may have been offering-- though never following up on-- through the "in-between years" of the Empire. Also nicely stands before the eventual dissolution of the Senate, which has much more import having seen it function as a semi-managable legislative body in the previous films.

Also, the fact that Sidious defeats Yoda in the Senate, using Senate pods as weapons, and that the final time we ever see the Senate it's occupied by Stormtroopers makes a strong symbolic implication that the democratic body no longer exists in any real way. With those dramatic scenes and images you don't really need a "Palpatine Dissolving the Senate" scene inserted into ANH. But hey, who cares, really?

Obi-Wan: I'm getting too old for this sort of thing!

Now, there's a line I really took for granted before TPM and the rest. Before I'd always just accepted Obi-Wan on the level of his old, wise master figure in mythology-- he was the sorceror, the teacher, the mentor and the like, but I never really appreciated him as a true hero in the same order as Luke and Han. After having seen him be exactly that kind of hero in the prequels this line holds much more power, and begins the slow and subtle way in which the film inevitably lets him slip into death and the story's background. With this line we've been signaled the beginning of Obi-Wan's passing the torch to Luke's generation.

Palpatine: Everything is proceeding as I have forseen.

If true-- and thanks to the prequels we know if very well might be-- that's just plain scary.

15. Sanjiro

Sanjiro Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2001
    not just a line but a whole scene that i think works great now is when Obi-Wan and Luke watch the whole message that Leia sent. It's all about Ben figuring it all out right there on the screen. Leia starts talking about her father and Alderaan. and he knows exactly who this is. Luke's sister. she says she's hidden the plans in this R2 Unit. and Ben looks over and knows that's R2-D2 now. i don't think he recognizes R2 and 3PO until this moment. He has no idea they were coming from Alderaan. or that Leia sent them. I doubt he's thought of them at all since getting on Tatooine. after the message he sits back and thinks about it. The Force is bringing it all together. it's what they've been waiting for. a sign. 20 years. It's time, homey. the next line is Ben saying "You must learn the ways of the Force, if you're to come with me to Alderaan."

16. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    "...and he was a good friend" - Obi-Wan/ANH

sounds like "Ani was a good friend" now.

17. zillas_revenge2

zillas_revenge2 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    "Now, complete your destiny and take your father's place at my side."

Now we realize that Vader's failure to become the powerful warrior Palpatine hoped for became (groan) "A New Hope" in the form of his son.

18. C-Creepio-Returns

C-Creepio-Returns Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    Yoda:

"If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will...as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice."

"Father...powerful Jedi was he...mmm...powerful Jedi."

"Do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor."

"Much anger in him...like his father."

Vader:

"Luke, you do not yet realize your importance."

"I sense something. A presence I have not felt since...."

"Sister! So you have a twin sister!"

Obi-Wan:

"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire."

19. KMC

KMC Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    Well, I suppose for me it has to be this: "Obi-Wan Kenobi...Obi-Wan. Now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time...a long time." The way Alec delivers it now makes me think of Ewan.

Other than that I believe that many things that Obi-Wan, Yoda, Vader, and Palpatine say are evocative of PT stuff. I'd say R2, but we can't understand what he's saying. Gosh, I wish that we could have subtitles for that guy!

20. Alanikan

Alanikan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    Yoda in Empire:

"If you choose the quick and easy path...."

After Mace's death, Anakin simply succumbs and gives in. He no longer deals with the burden of choice and lets himself go to Sidious. NOW I know what that line meant.

Obi-Wan in A New Hope:

"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful that you can possibly imagine.'

Thanks to Qui-Gon and Yoda's teachings, Obi-Wan learns how to become one with the Force. Something Vader could never do. Too impatient (see above!).

21. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    "They want me to spy on the Chancellor? That's Treason."

"You are part of the Rebel Alliance, and a Traitor! Take her away!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.