main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT - Different Speed Effect in 'The One'

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by WhisperingDeath, Aug 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knew about how they created the effect in Jet Lee's 'The One' where one combatant moved in slo motion while the second moved in a faster motion. I understand the rough idea of placing two actors on top of eachother but if you have any links to articles or anything I would be very pleased.

**This has nothing to do with fan films, I just like the effect**

2. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    After a thrid viewing I realised that they just speed up the film. Just the attacking character seems to move faster than the guy getting hit becuase the 2nd does not move as much as the attacking.

3. Darth_Jerak

Darth_Jerak Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    I often wondered how to do that effect...

-Kol.

4. swmaster

swmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    Actually if you watch the making on the dvd they film jet punching and kicking at a bunch of pre-determined points and add in full cg characters that appear to be in slow mo.

Get the dvd and all is clear.

SWmaster

5. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    you know the CG artists have done a good job when you can't tell there is any CG (like the characters in slow-mo)

heh

6. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    Essencially thats how they did ti. They filmed Jet at a high Frame rate and then placed 3d characters into the scene. It is more complicated than all that, but at a basic level thats all they are doing. I am working on a similar scene right now.

-tm

7. Admiral_Ant

Admiral_Ant Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    ack, I always see that suggestion when people are talking about slow-mo "film at a higher frame rate" but quite frankly, I dont know how I would get my camera to film at a higher framerate, any one know any solutions?
    I use a Sony TRV330 digital 8

8. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    My only suggestion for a higher framerate would be to film interlaced video, then use each field as a frame. You get 2:1.

9. yikes

yikes Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    As seen in the DVD, they originally planned to actually film the actors, and shift the scene into slo-mo, but then they decided it would be way too much work.

off topic, but cool -> They were originally going to cast The Rock instead of Jet Li!!

10. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    The Rock...really? Can he do all that kool kungfu type stuff, or is he just going to go around throwing people into walls, hehe.

About your camera, the TRV330. No there is no way to make it film at a higher frame rate, however like the other guys here said you can seperate the interlaced fields and so on, i think there is a tutorial for that floating around somewhere, anyone got a link?

11. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    Actually, The Rock was considered for the role. When they got Jet Li, the wrote the script according to him instead where he does martial arts. I doubt The Rock can do a spin kick :p , he will most likely grab you and do a choke hold. Hmmm, The Rock VS Jet Li, interesting.

12. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    Rock = Assassin and some wrestler
    Jet Lee = Killer of a Japanese General to stop invasion of homeland, User of super fast speed, knower of the ancient 'kiss of the dragon' accu-puncture maneuver, And so chivalrous he can't hit a woman. No contest.

13. yikes

Jun 12, 2002
    precisely... they came up with different choreography according to Rock's character.

The rock against jet li?? -- My money's on JET ALL THE WAY!!!

14. morpheous531

morpheous531 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2002
    Sorry bud but martial artist like jet li and jackie chan are "form" martial artist. All that stuff is useless in a real fight.

Take this from a NHB fighter.

Don't mean to go OT but just wanted to reply to that.

15. closedbolt

closedbolt Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2002
    compared to someone who does headslammers, or whatever they call them now? I doubt The Rock has what it takes to beat Jet Li. Just a few face maiming techniques by Jet Li and The Rocks down.

Strength is defeated by speed.

16. Darth_Obstreperous

Darth_Obstreperous Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    I heard Mel Gibson was also considered.

17. FoxMulder

FoxMulder Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2001
    Actually Jet Li was the Chinese champion in Wushu. He can actually do that in a fight.

18. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Hey could you say that the kung fu is useless in real life!
    I dont know if you know a martial art or not, but Jet Li or anyother leading martial artist would yake down any boxer or any so called WWF looser...

Back on top. I reckon the slow mo stuff was awsome, although the textures on the cops where pretty bad :)

19. morpheous531

morpheous531 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2002
    If you read my post again it says I'm an NHB fighter.

As in the style of fighting in UFC and Pride.

If you know what that is then you should know that I have a hell of a background in real-life situational fighting.

And if you don't know you should look it up.

It's already been proven that all that kung-fu style fighting is useless in a real-fight. Go ahead and look up UFC II and then tell me what you think.

I agree that this style of fighting is very asthetic to the eye compared to what I practice and but being effective is another question.

20. yikes

Jun 12, 2002
    Bak on topic --> to achieve the slow mo effect, I'd imagine you'd have to do something like the matrix bullet time technique. Slow the footage down, and morph the slowed frames together.

Being a student of Tai Chi for 3 years, I think im confident enough to say that there are many styles of kung fu that are very usable in a real fight. Take Tai Chi for an example. I have seen a master use his internal energy to beat a guy with one punch. I can also see that this may be hard to believe (and my sound so corny) to those who havnt been heavily into martial arts.

And to jet li fans, try watching some off his Hong Kong films. They are soooooooo much better than his American films! I have taken some of his sword fighting, and found it usefull in my fanfilm saber fights!

21. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    OT comment - the only US film to come close to HK movies (and be better than a fair few of them) is Drive with Mark Dacascos.

HK movies rule!

And my money is on the Rock. No disrespect to Jet Lee, but the Rock could take the punishment, then it's a chair shot to the face and an elbow pad into the crowd and you all know what happens next....

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.