main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT Endings Combined Equal the TPM Ending

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jedi_john_33, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    bear with me on this, i think it works.

i think GL was trying to tie in the endings of all three of the OT. The delicious fanfare from ANH with the Gungan, Nabooian coming together, the depressing realism from ESB (when yoda realizes that obi wan will train anakin no matter and yoda knows what will happen and how darth vader tells luke he is his father and the end of ROTJ, burning the one who brings balance to the force. If qui gonn didn't believe in anakin, it just wouldn't fit.

thats what i think, GL knew what he was doing in the end of TPM, and if you think of it like that, it connects the OT pretty well

2. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    And the ball of light symbolized the medals from ANH, the swirling galaxy from ESB and the Spirits in ROTJ?

Nah, I don't see it.

3. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    it doesnt have to necessarily reflect the exact ending, its more of a symbolic representation

4. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Point taken. Lucas is known to borrow from his own design.

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Gotta love the happy, jolly Emperor's theme sung by children, too ;)

6. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    i think you should write lyrics for that

7. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    well, I thought it visually resembled ANH with Padme in the white gown and the heroes beside her

but the Gungans in a way reminded me of the Ewoks, how they were a more primitive race that helped the big guys win a battle and at the end performed kind of eclectic tribal kinda music like at the end of ROTJ

ESB and AOTC have similar endings too, with just Anakin/Padme with the droids looking off into the yonder, just like Luke/Leia with the droids looking off into space
    both after repairing their hands

but it's no secret that Lucas re-uses a lot of things, like the big space explosion of a base or a deathstar at the end, but of course he "meant" for them to be similar right ;)

8. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

I think its a stretch to say the ending of TPM mirrors all of the OT endings. It does however definitely mirror the ending of ANH. AOTC mirrors ESB. And I think it is safe to say Ep3 will mirror ROTJ. ;)

9. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    well, Episode 3 will undoubtedly be a trajedy, at least for the good guys, how will it be able to mirror ROTJ?

10. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Maybe an evil version of RotJ's ending?
    Whatever that might look like....

11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Palpy and friends performing tribal karaoke? ;)

12. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    yes, with the wookiees, then they viciously slaughter the women and children to take the males hostage to be slaves. that'd be a great ending. Massive Wookiee Slaughterings

13. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

I was thinking more along the lines of the SE ROTJ ending where we see all the different locations and the people celebrating. Only in Episode 3 I believe it will be images of different locations with people being enslaved/killed/etc.

Only time will tell.

14. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Visually the end of TPM does tie into the end of ANH.Way back when in 1977 when ANH came out there was no sequel in the mix. The movie ended in a way that showed completion. The DS destroyed, the Dreaded Darth Vader on his own in space, and the celebration of the Rebels victory at the end. If this was the only SW movie ever made it had closure, but obviously left it open enough for ESB. The same with TMP. If it was a stand alone movie, the ending showed completion fo the move. The victory over the Trade Federation, Nute Gunray on his way to the gallows, Annie off the be a Jedi, and the Gungans and Nabooians celebrating a joint victory, leaving thier planet free of tyrants.

15. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    ^And Palpatine in power, of course.

16. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I've always looked at as more similar to only the ending of ANH, mainly because of the parade and the peace ball of light is like the medals. Then the ending of AOTC is like the one in ESB in a way, but not in the same way. AOTC ends with Anakin/Padme together, ESB ends with Luke/Leia. Not quite the same relationship, but the general feeling of reunitement is the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.