main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT episode 1 divix transfer

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Jaesun, Aug 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaesun

Jaesun Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2002
    I have episode 1 on DVD but in order to play around with it on my computer I found a divix version of it. (I didn't want to video tape my TV) So when I try to bring the divix into Premiere 6.0 it wont open and gives me a error message. Does any of you know how to switch the divix into avi mpg or vwm format? It won't even let me change the file name at this point. Thanks in advance

2. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Normally, Premiere shouldn´t have any problems with opening divx files, if you can watch the file, you can open it. But if you want to convert the file into any other desired format, I recommend "virtual dub". You find specific information on file conversion and the likes @ http://www.vcdhelp.com.

3. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    downloading star wars=illegal

4. Junfanman

Junfanman Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    Did he say he downloaded it? I find it amazing that people know so much about something they never do. Guilty until proven innocent..hmmm. I love a corrupt cop.

5. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I have episode 1 on DVD but in order to play around with it on my computer I found a divix version of it.

How did he 'find' it unless he downloaded it? I mean, I guess he could have 'found' a CD lying on the side of the road, or he could have 'found' the file mysteriously on his Hard Drive, but the insinuation was that he 'found' it on the Net, most likely on Kazaa or something like it.

Now, I'm not complaining about it. I mean, they guy already owns it on DVD. It may be against the law, but that's not one of those things I complain about.

6. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    you just dont goto the store and buy a Divix version...i agree with eagle...but why do you want to edit tpm?

7. Junfanman

Jun 19, 2002
    Do you know that you can transfer your fanfilm to Divix? Why couldn't I capture EP1 to my computer and transfer it to divix? Did I download it? Did I find it on the side of the road? My point? The guy asked for help ..he didn't ask for a judge and jury. He didn't tell you how he obtained it so it's really none of your business. If you can't answer the questions..obviously....just dont reply with judgement.

8. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Junfanman:
    Dude, the underlying meaning to your defense is valid ... but the plain-and-simple fact remains that unless someone goes to unusual lengths to actually "find" a divx version, it is a pretty safe guess that he/she "found" it on an ftp or some other download site. You can try to defend it all you want - but I'm affraid the "common sense" evidence is greatly against you on this one. ;)

9. Junfanman

Jun 19, 2002
    Thats just it Tac you don't have any evidence. He didn't tell anyone that he obtained it illegaly or legaly. You can only assume and you are probably 99% correct but there is not a need for a 1 cent post to judge someone from assumption..like I said unless I tell you how I obtained it ...then it is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS...TAC

10. Jaesun

Jaesun Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2002
    I dont find myself an unethical person but the fact is yes I did DL the divix to play around with some high quality footage of episode 1. I do own the DVD and VHS versions (bought) and was inspired by Halibut's Olie trailer. I have always bought my editing programs and am proud that even tho its so simple to DL a program, I actually shell out hundreds of dollars for them.I dont plan on selling or even passing out the version, so I dont really see a problem, tho I do see it's Illegality. If you all seem to still find this a problem, I will simply cease my actions.

11. Ben-Kenobi85

Ben-Kenobi85 Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2002
  12. Junfanman

Jun 19, 2002
    Now you have the right to hammer him ...TAC

13. swepisodeii

swepisodeii Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2001

premiere should play it just fine.

I have burned a few movies to divx to edit around with all from dvds that I own. I have to admit it's pretty darn fun goofing around with a "real" movie, adding sounds, yourself, or whatever.

all have played no problem in premiere, you might want to reinstall the divx codec or even reinstall premiere. that's always my easy fix for issues like this.

as far as divx goes, I don't think you can mention it without getting beaten over the head. personally I think there's way to much risk of catching a virus or god knows what off a napster clone so it's just not worth it. especially just for me to download a movie for editing fun when I can just use one of my own (which also do not get shared.)
    honestly there are just not many popular movies I HAVE to own.

the fact is divx is a darn good codec for PCs (don't know about macs). it looks great at small file sizes. I use it for outputing my own videos as well as the few movies I want to play on command off my hard drive.

also, compressing your own dvds is an education in itself and will teach you a lot about compression in general - a good thing to know in this biz/hobby.
    do an internet search for how to.

three more points and then I'm through.

1. if you're on this board it's pretty assumable that you own episode I on dvd. we all do. that's why we're here. we love star wars. if you downloaded the movie I could care less and so should everyone else. no one here is the internet police.

2. I'd love to see the mp3 collections of you download bashers.

BUT -

3. the fact is we are using someone else's (lucas)intellectual property for our own movies. that in itself is sketchy. if anyone starts to openly support file swapping, dvd copies, whatever, it gives the lucasfilm auditors a bad vibe. They don't want to shut us down, we're the fanbase. But the last thing we want to do is give them a reason.

You can't blame the people here for protecting our home. I don't think people should jump on someone, but I also think a little common sense is in order when asking questions that could in ANY WAY be taken as illegal. it all comes with the territory we play in.

thanks for reading.

14. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I have episode 1 on DVD but in order to play around with it on my computer I found a divix version of it.

In order to play around with it, he found it. He didn't capture it to Div-X. He downloaded it.

M. Scott

15. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Okay, since this thread has turned into a discussion of morality, I like your guys opinion on the following, and please don´t think bad of me afterwards.

I live in Germany and I bought the OT Special Edition upon it´s release on VHS, same goes for Episode 1.

The problem is as you all know, that the OT never was released on DVD up to now. But I really wanted to see the English original version, there´s no legal chance to get your hands on that here in Germany. So I downloaded the OT in English through some P2P program.

Would you guys still flame me for that? I know it´s still an act of illegality.

I know I could have ordered the OT through the internet from the US or something, but they use NTSC and would not work probably on my PAL system, or would it?

So please if you reply, make it seriously and not just a one line comment. I´m really interested in your opinions and play with open cards.

16. Darth_Jerak

Darth_Jerak Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    I think everybody needs to be reminded:

Our hobby, Fanfilms, is an illegal practice. We are breaking copyright law everytime we produce one of these movies. Jaesun ripped or downloaded a copy of a movie, he broke copyright law. What's the difference, we're all guilty in the eyes of the law. I think everbody should just calm down here.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

If you've never made a fanfilm, never downloaded a copyrighted .mp3, cracked a demo, downloaded a movie or game, taped a tv show or sports event (without the network's written consent), then I guess go ahead and persecute. But seriously, I don't know anybody with a computer that hasn't broken copyright law at least once.

-Kol

P.S. I guess I'm just agreeing with SWepisodeii.

17. Junfanman

Jun 19, 2002
    Ahhh...someone with common sense.

18. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    SWepisode11, well said :)

19. swepisodeii

Feb 21, 2001
    :)

edit: I was blushing, now I'm smiling!

20. borjis fett

borjis fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 1999

somebody could just as easily capture the vhs or rip the dvd and turn it into Divx.

who knows what really happened. (well we know now LOL) :D

ASSUME = makes an ASS out of U and ME ;)

If you want to see the OT in its original best form, I suggest the LaserDisc THX version from around 1994. Ebay always has a few.

21. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    I thought it was ok to make copies if you own the actual movie???

22. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Ooh, Primrodo makes a good point.

However, it's NOT okay to share it with other people, whether or not they also own it, including P2P filesharing. You can neither give a copy to another, nor receive it.

It's complicated; the Internet makes lawyers crazy frankly.

M. Scott

23. Jaesun

Jaesun Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2002
    Well it seems my post has become this big debate on morality and such when all I was wondering was why a Divix file was not working in Premiere. Who knew you guys would discuss this in such great detail. Continue debating if you want to, I got my question answered. Thanks to all that helped me.

24. swepisodeii

Feb 21, 2001
    Jaesun - so now you have to share with us how you fixed it! did the reinstall work or did you try something else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.