main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT Episode 2 DVD

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Thesabresmith, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Actually, JediRoss, you are seeing the movie as it is encoded on the disc.

When you tell a DVD player that you have a 4:3 TV, the player ADDS the black bars to flatten out the image.

For 2.35 movies, the studio has already added some black bars to pad the movie into the 1.77 ratio, then the DVD player will add even more so that it fits the 1.333 ratio of your tv.

Needless to say, I love watching movies on my widescreen HDTV (apparently there ARE some HDTVs that aren't widescreen).

2. Darth_Sway

Darth_Sway Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2002
    Something like that.. I know it's and obsene ammount of space!

3. muphicks

muphicks Jedi Master star 2

Aug 20, 2001
    DVD's can hold up to 17gig, although only if you are using a commercial writter, home dvd writers generally have a max of 4.7 gig.

The 17 comes from using both sides of the dvd and making it dual layer to squeeze double the data on either side.

I've got bladerunner which includes widescreen on one side of the dvd and fullscreen on the other.

Don't know any reason why other dvds should not do this, aside from making more money...

I'm still waiting to see when films are going to make more use of the multiple angles features, so far I've only seen one or two use them :(

The MIB dvd has a cool feature where you see outlines of the directors overlayed on the actual film if you turn commentry on, so you can see them point at things and picking up their drinks :)

Hope the EP2 dvd is as good as the EP1 one for extra features.

4. BigRedDog

BigRedDog Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    What I want to know is, when my father-in-law gets an HDTV (as he will when they get cheap enough), will he complain about the "black bars" on the side of the screen when he watches reruns from the '90's and before as he does when he watches wide screen movies now. BTW, he just likes big TV's, not wide screen. That's why he'll be getting one, not because he appreciates the superior nature of HDTV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.