main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga OT Fans' Reactions to the PT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by march162015, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003

Well honestly I hate that common misnomer that people who have the PT are older fans I love all 6 films equally and I am 36 years old, granted I wasn't born in 77 but by no means am I am a younger fan, I absolutely hate the generalization that older fans are the one's who are disappointed by the prequels.

Obi-John Kenobi likes this.
  2. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    Same here. I'm in my 30's. I didn't "grow up" with the PT, but I generally enjoyed them a great deal when they came out, and still do now.

Saga Explorer and Iron_lord like this.
  3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The reason I didn't like the PT and just pretend it doesn't exist mostly stems from the fact that it FEELS like a completely different world than the one established in the OT! I have a very hard time believing that Jar Jar Binks exists in the same world as Han Solo. The universe felt lived in and real in the OT. The PT looks like it was built in a CPU.

And the CGI is so bad at times I feel like I am watching a video game...ugh. I won't even get started on the acting...

There are things I loved... Darth Maul. The Pod Race. The arena fight etc

I've just accepted it's not for me...

*Incidentally I feel the exact same way about the Hobbit films compared to LOTRS! The CGI is so over-used and not believable whatsoever that it just doesn't feel real*

4. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    That's exactly what i thought when i watched TPM first time!

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Except that the world of the PT was built in the real world, with practical sets and models as much as it was on a computer. It feels different because as Obi-wan said about the Old Republic, it was, "...a more civilized age." We're not in the down and dirty, war torn Outer Rim. We're now seeing the "bright center of the universe" that Luke referred to with Coruscant and Alderaan. We're seeing an age of peace and prosperity that is slowly eroding under the threat of war. We're seeing places that were heavily populated and hinted at with Cloud City in TESB.

Saga Explorer and Valairy Scot like this.
  6. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

Isn't the PT supposed to exist in a different time period of the galaxy? Aren't things supposed to be different?

7. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    Of course but there's a "feel" to the films that don't quite capture the essence of Star Wars. A good example to me is the technology of the PT seems more advanced that of 20 years later. I can accept the more clean, sterile feel if I can believe it was older than the OT tech.

Another stylistic point in the design was everything was smooth. From the buildings, to the senate seats, to the doors, to the ships... Everything seemed to have the edges rounded off. Quite a stark contrast to the more blockier, sharp edges of the lived in universe of the OT. Where are the junk remains of this smooth universe? They didn't appear anywhere in the OT

It's things like this that make it "feel" like two completely different worlds.

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The technology? Well, what are we talking about? The design of the ships? Half are luxury ships and half are battle ships. Most of the computer banks with them are similar to the OT designs. The holo tables that's seen on Geonosis, on Mustafar and in the Jedi Temple are similar to the one from ROTJ, that's aboard Home One. We mostly saw standard droid designs in the OT, compared to the Droid Army. I wouldn't say it is more or less advance.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  9. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    What hurts the prequels the most imo is the lack of lifelike characters, bland dialogue and the stupid jokes especially in TPM and AOTC. It destroys the feeling of watching a living world that we had in the OT!

10. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    It sounds as if both trilogies had a lot in common.

mes520 likes this.
  11. sonnyleesmith

Apr 29, 2014
    Besides one capturing the imagination of a generation while another splitting a fanbase.

lovelikewinter likes this.
  12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Except the fans were split about ROTJ.

mes520 likes this.
  13. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Also ESB wasn't too popular with fans back in the day either and critics never really liked Star Wars, including the OT.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    I never heard many bad things about ROTJ growing up. Not to the degree that people scorned Phantom Menace, Clones and the SEs.

It wasn't enough that the PT was mediocre, then they had to start adding those mediocre elements into the films I loved. That sucked more than the PT.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I didn't either. Then I found out a lot of people disliked ROTJ because of the Ewoks, Jabba's palace, Ford's performance and that it wasn't as dark TESB was.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The existence of the 2nd Death Star also seems to get a lot of mentions, these days.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Wish they kept Lapti Nek in Rotj, instead of inserting this awful Jedi Rocks!

Not to speak of Mos Eisley in ANH. The unchanged spaceport had a so much better atmosphere! And i didn't like the inclusion of the Jabba Scene!

The only SE Change i like is the Victory Celebration (1997er Version)

Edit: Maybe the SE and Prequel Changes done to Tatooine are the reason for the invention of Jakku instead of returning to Tatooine...

Darth__Lobot and Sarge like this.
  18. Tosche_Station

Tosche_Station Jedi Master star 2

Feb 9, 2015
  19. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

That's not the fault of the movies. That is the fault of the fans.

I was not that impressed by Fisher's performance, either. And if I have to be honest, the character of Leia has become problematic for me. It seems as if Lucas did not know what to do with her.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

That's the name of the desert planet in TFA.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  21. sonnyleesmith

Apr 29, 2014
    Huh? The fans are at fault because millions of us didn't like the product?

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Gesundheit!

23. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

And yet, millions did. So, it cannot be the movies' fault. It all came down to the opinions of the individual fans. What other explanation is there? Isn't art supposed to be subjective?

natureboy76 likes this.
  24. sonnyleesmith

Apr 29, 2014
    Sure, but opinions aren't right or wrong. A fanbase being split isn't the fanbase' fault. Art can be subjective but the reception of the art, at least in part, often determines whether the art is perceptually good. Picasso's earlier stuff, as well as Jackson Pollack's was not considered very good. It's only when they made pieces of art that resonated with the people, when what they created changed the landscape of their mediums did they have "masterpieces."

The prequels were received well by many and rejected by many. It still may be art, but they're no masterpieces.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Neither is the OT. It has also had its share of detractors.