main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga OT Force vs. PT Prophecy

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Obi-Ewan, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Tosche_Station

Tosche_Station Jedi Master star 2

Feb 9, 2015
    I like that line from the novel. It's an interesting "what if" type thing. Although, I've long had the impression that Yoda would have told Luke before Obi-Wan ever would have. Just my opinion.

As far as the Qui-Gon thing, Arawn brought it up. Regardless of it's provenance*, as a story idea I don't think it really works.

*whether EU, canon, or from Lucas

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Tosche_Station

Feb 9, 2015
  3. Tosche_Station

Feb 9, 2015
  4. Tosche_Station

Feb 9, 2015
    [face_thinking] Hmmm.....I think that was even one of the rumours that I remember from a 1981 Fangora magazine (???). The other one being: "Vader was a clone of Anakin". But in the magazine, it was actually that "Luke's father kills the original Darth Vader, and then takes his identity."

At any rate, it got me thinking: Remember, how Brackett's first draft for TESB was going to have Yoda (Minch) tell Luke that both Ben AND his father (who wasn't supposed to be Vader) trained on the bog planet? The funny thing is, this was still in the story for the the second draft - the hand-written one by Lucas - where Vader for the first time claims to be Luke's father at the end of the movie. Now in this draft, either Vader was lying, or Yoda was lying about Annikin/Luke's father (the Anakin spelling still hadn't come about) having trained under him just like Ben was....or , both (!) Vader and Yoda were telling the truth. Of course, Ben's dialogue from SW still would have had to have been explained, though.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    At the time, Lucas was still trying to figure out where to go. He wanted to have a father figure, but the notion of dark father figure was sitting in the back of his mind. Once he knew where he was wanting to go, then it went from there.

6. Tosche_Station

Feb 9, 2015
    The thing is that I'm interested in the specifics. Some of the alternate ret-con ideas might have worked better, and allowed for a more 'smooth' transition, in my opinion. Your question to only one kenobi got me thinking about those ideas.

only one kenobi likes this.