main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY OT: Geocaching Thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Doc_Bev, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    I've been meaning to plan a Geocaching event for a while now and was curious if there was anyone here interested in participating.

For those who aren't familiar with it Geocaching is a sport/game for GPS users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the cool features and capabilities of a GPS unit and explore new areas of our town you may not have seen. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.

I'm tentatively planning this for Saturday Sept 17th. Anyone interested in participating is more than welcome. This event will be sci-fi themed and geared towards newbies who've never played. You don't need a GPS to participate. I will be listing this event as an official geocaching event so we'll hopefully be joined by veteran geocachers in the area as well as any newbies we invite.

~Doc_Bev

2. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Sounds extremely interesting

As long as it doesnt conflict with any other events...I'm in.

3. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
  4. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I officially submitted this event with geocaching.com - I'll let you know when it gets approved.

So if you guys are still interested - pencil in 2PM Sept 17th on your calendars!

~Doc_Bev

5. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    WooHoo! My event got approved.
    You can see the official event page at geocaching.com

~Doc_Bev

6. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    For those that went to the Olympics and liked the In Search Of... event then you're gonna want to come to this event too!

Actually, even if you didn't go to the Olympics - this event should still be fun! :D

~Doc_Bev

7. scafencer

scafencer Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    This sounds like fun. I have never done it before so why not.. Count me in.

8. Akayeon

Akayeon Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2005
    I have a feeling Ayka and myself will be there, we may even bring a geocacher with us =P.

For those of you who havent Geocached before, its really something you need to try once. Everyone I know who tries once ends up getting hooked ^^.

9. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Cool! Welcome to the boards by the way Akayeon!

So here's who we have interested so far from these boards:

RSWingut
    T_StarFlyer & DarSolo
    SCAFencer
    Ayka?
    Akayeon?

Plus there's 7 teams that have signed up on the geocaching page.

~Doc_Bev

10. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    We're up to about 14 geocaching teams signed up on the official site, plus whomever from The Rebellion and USS Tranquility that are interested in going. Here's hoping for decent weather!

~Doc_Bev

11. DarSolo

DarSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    Thanks for bumping this up - I forgot it was this Saturday.

Hmmm - the site seems to be down. Oh well, approximately how many caches were you planning on hiding? Do you need little stuff from the Tranquility's St. Ambrose prizes for the treasure troves? There's plenty of small prizes available. I've pm'ed you.

12. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    DarSolo - check your PM for my reply.

So is anyone else interested? It should be a lot of fun!
    Looks like the weather should be nice - a great day to get outside and enjoy the park. :cool:

Remember this event is for newbies, so you can still have fun without knowing a thing about Geocaching. ;)

~Doc_Bev

13. Ayka

Ayka Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2005
    I unfortunatly got schedualed at work for saturday at 4pm to 10pm, and I've been requesting too many weekends off =(.

Im not sure on Akayeon though.

14. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    That's OK Ayka.

If it weren't so long a drive for you I'd suggest just coming for the 1st half, but that would be way out of the way.

I'm working on the two event caches now and then figured we'd do Perky's Pick IV as a group cache. After those people could try their hand at other caches in the park until it was time for dinner.

~Doc_Bev

15. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    I enjoyed doing this at the picnic. Its fun. I was planning on going but I got to accomplish some stuff this weekend after work on Sat. All summer I have been playing to much on the weekends. I would love to do this agian though sometime later on. Its neat. Plus I could use the excersize everyonce in a while.

16. DarSolo

DarSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    :( They are predicting rain now for Friday night into Saturday. Let's hope it clears out by the afternoon.

17. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    I'm still interested but where are we going? LoL
    I heard the words "Long Drive"

18. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    The event is in Greece Canal Park off Elmgrove Rd. It's fairly close to my house. It's not really a long drive, except for Ayka and Akayeon who have to come out from Victor area.

KnightShade, Connor and I just went to the park for a little bit this morning to scout out the locations for the event caches.

This event is rain or shine. If it's really bad out we can just adjorn to the restaurant earlier than planned.

~Doc_Bev

19. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I'm getting very excited (and nervous) about my first geocaching event. I'm up to 30-47 people not including any USS Tranquility members for this event. We're also going to launch our very first Travel Bug. I hope this goes well!

~Doc_Bev

20. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    As it so happens i'm working 5:30 to 9:30 at the mall saturday night, so we can still do the Geocashing, just can't stay late.

21. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    [face_worried]
    Oh, boy...
    I'm now up to 40-59 people for this event.
    I just hope it stops raining before the event!

~Doc_Bev

22. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    I'm out. ARGH!
    I need a Day Planner to keep my events straight.
    <Mutter>

23. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
  24. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    hey guys this was lots of fun, sorry we had to bail early but work happens :)

25. scafencer

scafencer Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    Hi all,

This was very cool. I had an awesome time, sorry I had to leave before the last one was done. I want to do it again soon.

So is useing a metal detetor considered cheating? I was thinking it would make find the caches easier oncer you get in the general area.

-Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.