main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY OT: Geocaching Thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Doc_Bev, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    Yeah, I'd say using a metal detector would be cheating. :p
    One of the best things about geocaching is finally finding the cache and saying "wow - that was a clever way to hide that!"

The geocaching event didn't turn out like I had planned, but it seemed like most people had fun. I had a little geocaching 101 lesson all planned, but there seemed to be more veterans than newbies. Then the one "newbie" type question I was always asked - I couldn't really answer as it was GPS unit recommendations on which KnightShade has done all that research - not me. :(

The next big event is Letchworth Fall Gathering IV. We went for the first time last year, and I'm really looking forward to it this year. They always have tons of cool event caches, loads of food and of course the park itself already has some great caches in it. This is the yearly event for geocaching - in this area at least. Should be a blast. We're planning on spending the whole day there and I know a lot of cachers are actually camping over!

~Doc_Bev

2. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Just in case folks don't have anything better to do tomorrow...

Tomorrow is the 4th Annual Letchworth Fall Gathering for geocachers. There should be about 180 veteran and newbie geocachers gathering with tons of food and lots of fun caches. We're probably going to be heading out early getting there around 10am and staying most of the afternoon. Should be a blast!

~Doc_Bev

3. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Resurrected this old thread as going out as a group to do a little geocaching was discussed...

We can just go out geocaching one day, or when we're out somewhere for an event we can see if there are any caches in the area...
    Might be easier to do the former rather than the latter as we'd have more time to devote to things like multi-part caches.

~Doc_Bev

4. TX4277

TX4277 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2005
    I wanna go!

5. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Yeah Geocaching!

6. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    So who's free this weekend? It looks like this weekend should be real nice weather wise.
    And where do we want to explore?

Just to give you an idea of how many there are... When I plug in 14626 on www.geocaching.com there are 1,070 caches within a 50 mile radius. And even though we've been there numerous times, there are still caches near us in Greece Canal Park that we haven't done yet.

~Doc_Bev
    aka Mom Bounty-Hunter of Team Bounty-Hunters

7. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    OK - let's shoot for this...
    On Sat Sept 16th there's an event at Powder Mill Park - here are the details:

Poker runs are pretty easy and fun. We went to one before and Connor ended up winning $90!
    So how many folks are interested in going to this?

~Doc_Bev

8. TX4277

TX4277 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2005
    Currently I am on the caledar as working that day :(

9. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Bumping this up to see if anyone else might be interested in the Geocaching event on Sept 16th.

~Doc_Bev

10. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Not that it sounded like anyone else was up for it, but in case someone was and didn't post - we're skipping the event tomorrow so that we can get more work done around the house.

But there is another event coming up Oct 14th that we're thinking of going to in Letchworth Park.

~Doc_Bev

11. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Anyone interested in going geocaching Oct 14th at Letchworth Park?
    Here's the event listing. I'm guessing we'll only be doing this one if it's not rainy. Although I suppose with how far behind KnightShade is on his project - we might not be able to go at all.

~Doc_Bev

12. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Unlocked and bumped per CR's request.

13. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Anyone interested in doing some geocaching now that the warmer weather is here?

~Doc_Bev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.