main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT Goofs, Nitpicks, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by george_starwars, Oct 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMandarb

DarthMandarb Jedi Master star 2

May 29, 2002
    I didn't buy the 'just lighting' comment either.

I also thought it was the vest ... but jacket or vest doesn't really matter, he's still 'magically' removing it!

d.m.

2. Obis-Grl

Obis-Grl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    It still sounds a lot like Carrie too me...
    A little too much like Carrie...

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    As for the vest/jacket controversy...it's the lighting. Look more closely during the scene.

And I would also like to add to the list of bloopers...in Jabba's palace, when Lando is seen for the first time, is he supposed to hit his head on the ceiling or did he do that on purpose to lower the helmet in order for us to see his face? This one has always puzzled me.

4. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    *sighs* Go ahead and list your observations that prove your case, HanSolo29. That should be hilarious. It's not the lighting!

5. razorsaces

razorsaces Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2002
    When Lando moves thru the crowd to leave after Luke and Han get "judged", he hits a gaurd dead on with the business end of his vibro halbard.

6. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Luke REALLY doesn't say Carrie, honest. Sometimes, if you think too much about something, you trick yourself into believing it. Like if you've heard people saying "Luke says Carrie!" and then you go see for yourself, you're more than expecting him to say Carrie, y'know? So you somewhat play a trick on yourself.

The "Carrie" issue was so debated (even after Mark Hamill himself said that he did not say Carrie, it just really sounds like it) I believe they dubbed the line in the special edition.

As for Han's vest/jacket... I have to go watch ESB now, LOL. I honestly don't think he's wearing a vest/jacket in any part of the scene.. The lighting IS very strange, all sorts of lights from all sorts of places. I really do think SOMEONE on the Star Wars set would have pick up on a clothing discrepancy that extreme. I can just imagine some Stormtrooper off to the side saying, "Mr. Lucas? Mr. Ford there's wearing his jacket, and he wasn't before." Actually, wouldn't you think Harrison would have noticed something like that? I know if I were an actress not wearing a jacket/vest one second then having it on the next second that I would notice the wardrobe change. Oh well, maybe they did the takes different days or something and just forgot... But I'll have to agree for now with those who say it's just the lighting.

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Puggy: I agree with you on both the "Carrie!" issue and the vest/jacket thing.

And you are right about Harrison opening his mouth if something like wearing the wrong shirt occurred. It actually did happen. In Once Upon a Galaxy: The Story of the Making of The Empire Strikes Back, he says that his shirt for the carbon freezing scene was wrong to begin with. He said that the shirt had no sleeves and started complaining to the art department about it. In the end, I guess they fixed it because his shirt obviously has sleeves in that scene.

8. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    Yes, Puggy, you would think someone on set would have noticed. It seems that no one did, though. Check out that scene and watch the close-ups closely, like HanSolo29 suggests. To me, it is very clearly not two shadows cast over Han. It's a layer of clothing that must be his jacket.

Anyway, check that out when you get a chance, Puggy, and report back what you think. :)

9. george_starwars

george_starwars Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2002
    In ROTJ, when Han and Lando are talking about Lando using the Falcon, in every wide shot Lando's holster and badge are on one side, but in the smi-closeups they are on the other side. This has always bugged me!

10. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Oh and here's one more. When Lea falls off the speader-bike, she is whearing sort of a jean matirial. When she enters the Ewok tribe, she has on the totaly different outfit on...a dress! [face_shocked] What, did she have nothing better to do than go shopping? 8-}

11. DarthMandarb

DarthMandarb Jedi Master star 2

May 29, 2002
    I still think it's his jacket.

Sometimes, in movie making, some parts are shot months apart, even if they're the same scene. This is probably what happened here. Although, I still think someone should have checked.

The scene in tPM, where QGJ checks Ani's blood, was shot 11 months after principle shooting had wrapped. Jake Lloyd was almost a foot taller!!

d.m.

12. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    In ANH, after the Vader/Ob1 fight Luke blasts the door. Just as it is closing you can see that DV's lightsaber is nothing but a flat silver stick! Why don't we find out why?

Us: "Hay Vader! Why is your lightsaber just a flat silver stick?"

DV: "Uhh, the battery is going out...yeah thats is! Its the battery!" [face_laugh]

Note: This joke is taken from the Vader Monologues thread.

13. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    I profusely apologize, especially to Obi-Wan2001. Don't you just hate it when you're wrong? LMAO.

So I watched the carbonization scene of ESB... For some reason, I never picked up on the part about how it was the shot where he said "I know." During that line I'm always looking at his eyes, anyway... lol. But yeah, I'm pretty sure now (since I watched it ten times, heh) that he does have his jacket on... Although on my TV (which is like five years old, beat up, and poor color) it kind of looks like a shadow still. Plus, when the shot turns to show the back of Han, you see two shadows cast upon his shoulders! Heh, I know, I know... I'm making excuses, but hey, at least I'm willing to admit I'm probably wrong. I can't believe I never really picked up on the fact that that was his JACKET...

Oh well. For the sake of my sanity, I'll have to tell myself it's just a shadow... Or else I will never be able to watch one of the most precious SW scenes ever without going "HE'S GOT HIS JACKET ON." LOL.

Off Topic, but what the hey: Has anyone seen Moulin Rouge? That's like my favorite movie ever, next to ESB, but anyway, a similar thing happens. Christian gives Satine his jacket, and she never returns it. Scenes later, when he goes to the Moulin Rouge "one.. last.. time," what is Christian wearing?! His jacket! :D

14. petmytauntaun

petmytauntaun Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 27, 2002
    Well, I have a 25in T.V. and the OT on VCD, so my picture quality is pretty good...I just went and watched that part...He does have the jacket on while saying "I know", but at no other part in that scene...Never would have noticed that.

edit: I think I am going to have to also "just pretend" that it's a shadow or I'll forever be noticing it now...

15. Myaha

Myaha Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    hey Akumz_Razor:

in the bunker on Endor you can see the generator cavern down there

when Han is blowing up this mess NOT the bunker but the shield generator for the DS II is blowing up... or du YOU see this dish on the bunker when they fight all around it?
    never heard of chain rwactions? ;)

16. Hammered_Hammerhead

Hammered_Hammerhead Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2002
    The thing is, it looks like a vest, not the rumpled jacket we see Han wearing in earlier scenes - the jacket's collar is always worn up, 80's style, over the collar of his white shirt. What he appears to be wearing is a tight fitting vest, which he never wore at any other point in the movie. What makes it tough to tell for me is that the lighting is so diffuse in the scenes the "vest" looks about as dark as any other shadow on Han. I'd say he has a vest on, though. That, or a dark shadow is cast on the vest-wearing part of his chest in 2 closeup shots and nowhere else in the scene. In my widescreen copy you can see a sliver of white shirt on his shoulder exactly where you'd expect a vest to end. This could still be a trick of lighting, but....

What bugs me most about the carbon freeze scenes is the bluescreen nothingness that surrounds the room. Where in Cloud City IS this place?

17. Akumz_Razor

Akumz_Razor Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    True, but right before the shot of the dish going up there's a shot of a huge fireball coming out of the entrance of the bunker.

18. razorsaces

Sep 10, 2002
    Oh and here's one more. When Lea falls off the speader-bike, she is whearing sort of a jean matirial. When she enters the Ewok tribe, she has on the totaly different outfit on...a dress! What, did she have nothing better to do than go shopping?

I always thought that was something that the Ewoks whipped up for her. I know, it's weird, but maybe the Ewoks are REALLY good at sewing. :) Anyway, I think it's too obvious to be a mistake.

19. The_Spider-Man

The_Spider-Man Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2002
    IT IS THE LIGHTING!! I BELIEVE THIS WAS EVEN ON THE OS IN THE CLASSIC MOMENTS!! A WHILE BACK, THERE WAS A THREAD ON THIS. SOMEONE POSTED A WIDESCREEN PICTURE PROVING IT WAS THE LIGHTING!!

SOMEONE POST THE PIC!

20. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    If you've read the ANH novelization it explains Han motioning to the imperial while on the elevator. The Imperial was going to go on, but when Han motioned to him the wookie that was on the elevator with them, the Imperial decided that it would be better to get on a different elevator. 8-}

21. razorsaces

Sep 10, 2002
    I just check out the Freezing chamber scene. It's hard to tell but Han IS wearing his black vest during most of the close ups. I imagine the crew decided to have him wear the jacket for whatever reason. Remember they didn't even have a final version of the Hansicle until right before they did the shooting. (The original was of just Han standing there. GL thought it looked too claim so they had it redone.)

22. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    Thank you, razorsaces. :)

I find it fascinating that The_Spider-Man, HanSolo29, and so many others seriously believe it's lighting in those two close-ups. Amazing.

23. razorsaces

Sep 10, 2002
    Well, they set it up so it's close enough that you can "claim" it was the lighting. :D

24. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    a pic of the moment he says "I know" would be helpfull

25. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.