main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT Goofs, Nitpicks, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by george_starwars, Oct 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    I believe it's the lighting.

Obi-Wan2001, I find it sick that you are so arrogant and have no open-mindness. Perhaps you should try posting proof before you present your opinion as a fact.

Just a thought.

2. george_starwars

george_starwars Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2002
    Hey Stardude, everyone can have his/her opinion. :) That goes for everyone else too!

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I used to believe it was actually his vest/jacket until I watched the scene more closely and came across some movie pics that show Han at the particular moment that he says, "I know." In the pic, as well as in the movie,(if you look closely) you can see orangish-white highlights on his shoulders where the "vest" should be. And then the next shot is a long shot, and in this shot you can clearly see the very dark shadows being cast upon his shoulders.

The above info has changed my opinion as well as reading the info over at the offical site about it being a trick of the lights.

4. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Easy, StarDude. Let's not get all riled up here. No offense was intended. Look, it just seems to me, the closer you look, the more you realize it's not the lighting. Han is wearing something over his white shirt in two shots. One, being the close-up of him saying, "I know", and the other, being a close-up of Han looking down at the ugnaughts as they unshackle him. I can understand people believing it's the "lighting" if they are just looking at his right shoulder. But if you look at Han's left shouler, what the lighting reveals, is the actual wrinkles on what some people are saying is a shadow. If somebody could post a good quality pic up, we might come to a better understanding of this. :)

5. markdil

markdil Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    Hey for all of you that are wondering about the Han gesture as they get on the elevator in ANH, I have always had a very humorous interpretation of this.

Just before they get on the elevator, Luke says, "I can't see a thing in this helmet!"

Then some troops walk by and Han, thinking they might have heard Luke's whining, gestures to them as if he's saying, "Yeah, I know, my partner's a real idiot." I always picture him rolling his eyes at Luke while he's gesturing to them too. Does that make any sense?

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Obi-Wan: I'm trying to find a particular pic I found of the scene...but the website it was on apparently got rid of it. And the one I printed out, is in bad quality(it was printed out using my old printer :p ) Give me a little more time to look around...I may be able to come up with something.

7. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    Thanks, HanSolo29. :)

8. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Up
    and lets try to get some goofs from ANH

9. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
  10. Hammered_Hammerhead

Hammered_Hammerhead Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2002
    Here are my captures of the freezing scene. You can see a bit of Han's shirt under the vest on the right. Note the incredibly abrupt "lighting change" from the collar to Han's chest...on both sides of his body.

[image=http://home.twcny.rr.com/adamzb/capture.jpg]

Compare this with the next shot that shows Han from the front (as he is being lowered into the pit) and you see that's a mighty severe, very vest-like lighting change...or it's a vest.

[image=http://home.twcny.rr.com/adamzb/capture2.jpg]

11. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    Thank you, Hammered Hammerhead. :)

Ok, we've finally got some pics to continue the very divided jacket/vest/dark material of some kind vs. lighting debate.

12. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    All right, now I'm *convinced* it is a jacket/vest. If you're having trouble, save the top picture that Hammer posted... Then open it up in a picture-editing program that has a brighten feature. Increase the brightness of the picture. You'll notice that the background will become noticeably and increasingly lighter, while the jacket part does not. At a certain point I could tell that it's fabric over Han's shirt, and therefore concluded that he is wearing a jacket/vest...

Once again I want to apologize to Obi-Wan... LOL, guess it wasn't the light after all :D

13. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    No need to apologize, Puggy. :)

14. razorsaces

razorsaces Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2002
    Well, we can always "claim" it's just the lighting so we don't have to bring up the point that Han couldn't change outfits THAT fast. :D

15. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm still convinced it's the lighting.

Look very closely at the top pic. On the right hand side, there is an orange highlight that can be seen...if he was wearing the vest/jacket, the highlight would be considerably darker.

Also, notice the absence of a collar. The jacket that he was wearing earlier in the movie obviously has a collar...and the "vest" that is shown in these pics, obviously has none. And it cannot be the vest because the vest had a strange v-like collar that would be noticable, but it is not in the pics you have there.

16. DarthMandarb

DarthMandarb Jedi Master star 2

May 29, 2002
    He's wearing his jacket.

That would have to be some VERY fine lighting that just happens to cut off at both his collars? If it were shadows his collar would be shadowed too.

d.m.

17. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Not necessarily...it depends on what direction the light was coming from.

18. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    "Also, notice the absence of a collar. The jacket that he was wearing earlier in the movie obviously has a collar...and the "vest" that is shown in these pics, obviously has none. And it cannot be the vest because the vest had a strange v-like collar that would be noticable, but it is not in the pics you have there."

That's why I said the jacket/vest/dark material of some kind vs. lighting debate.

I know he doesn't wear his vest in the film at all. I know his jacket usually has its collar up. But it's a dark layer of material of some kind over his white shirt. Most likely, his jacket. And DarthMandarb makes a very good point about it in his above post.
    Seems that some people think it's too big a goof to accept.

Throw in the tape, folks. It's there. :)

19. Hammered_Hammerhead

Hammered_Hammerhead Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2002
    Does it bother anyone else that R2 sounds like a flute all of a sudden in ROTJ?

PS - No sweat, Obi'01.

20. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Oh well...believe what you want...I'm still convinced it's the lighting...

21. DarthLee

DarthLee Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2002
    MARKDIL,

I used to think the EXACT same thing about the elevator scene!

It seemed like Han was mocking Luke to cover for Luke's dorky comment that could have given them away....totally hilarious!!

HOWEVER...I was watching ANH awhile back and I realized that I probably had interpreted it incorrectly the whole time...

I think this is what Lucas was going for...

if you look closely, the officer that Han motions to is about to get on the elevator with them and after Han motions to him, the officer decides NOT to get on the elevator...it seems that Han was pointing out to the officer that they had a prisoner (Chewbacca) to manage and that it would be better for the officer to take another elevator...it's much better for Han, Luke and Chewbacca to go up in the elevator alone since they're preparing for an ambush...

so I think that's what was meant by the scene...

too bad...I think the idea of mocking Luke makes the scene so much better!! Oh well.

22. razorsaces

razorsaces Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2002
    The ANH novelization says that it was to ward away a imperial officer that was going to get on the elevator. (They didn't want to blow their cover.)

23. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    I am going to watch ESB to see for myself. I'm still thinkng it could be the lighting.

24. Delance

Delance Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2002
    This isn't much of a Nitpick, but...

ROTJ, the final duel.

You can see the shades of the lighsabers. lighsabers shouldn't have shades. This happens even on the SE.

Now, even more interesting. In the scene that Lukes turns off his lightsaber, it has no shade at all, even before he turns it off.

Yeah, it's obvious why does things happened, but that's it.

25. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Actually, its not a goof that you can see the shadows. Think of it this way: even though the lightsabers are light, they may not be as bright as the surrounding light. Therefor, they would still cast a shadow. Now its debaitably weather or not they are darker than the surroundings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.