main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT Goofs, Nitpicks, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by george_starwars, Oct 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. george_starwars

george_starwars Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2002
    Here's one: In ROTJ, when Luke and Lea swing from Jabba's sail barge, the roap is attached to something between the barge and the speeder thing. How is this possible?

2. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
  3. USTommie

USTommie Jedi Master star 2

Sep 12, 2002
    I don't know if anyone's posted this before (my apologies if yes), but in ROTJ, Leia has a little...slippage while wearing the gold bikini.
    Right after she kills Jabba, she jumps down off the platform, then the film cuts to Han, Lando, et. al., on the skiff.
    Before that happens, you can see that the force from Leia's jumping down causes the top of her bikini to slide down a bit and it seems you can see a little more than she wants. I could be wrong, but it looks very convincing, especially when you slow it down and know where to look. I think there are two partial nipple showings.

4. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    In the establishing shot of the carbon freezing chamber the Stormtrooper waaaay to the right of the screen-

Before Vader enters the scene at the top of the stairs with his cape billowing; has his armor partially slipping off.

Look at the arms...

5. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    All bikini goofs are welcome ;)

6. billjo

billjo Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2002
    Luke climbs out of his x-wing after blowing up death star 1. Leia runs to him.
    Leia: "Luke!"
    Luke: "Carrie!"
    They might have edited it out in SE.

Also I heard a rumor that when the Executor is plunging down and it cuts to ackbar's ship you can hear almoast inaudably "Die D***heads!"

Still no one can forget that classic scene where the stormtrooper hits his head on the doorway. what I love is that you can actually hear the *clunk*

have you noticed han has dice hanging from the falcon's cockpit?

7. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    *mumbles something to herself about how it isn't 'Carrie' nor ever was*

LOL, that sounded rude, didn't it? My apologies :D. There's a whole thing about it at StarWars.com... Here's the part about the 'Carrie' misconception:

"...So, while it indeed sounds like "Carrie!" to many people, in the finished film, that's not what Mark Hamill says.

What does he say? While putting together the improved soundtrack for the Special Edition Trilogy, sound editor Ben Burtt investigated the matter. All the original tracks, 1/4-inch tapes, and source materials were pulled out from storage, and listened to in a big mix room at Skywalker Sound. "We made loops out of everything Mark said and played them for a panel of listeners," says Burtt. "We edited the recording and filtered it and did everything we could to clean up the phrase where he yells as he hugs Princess Leia"
    The audio investigation included numerous takes of Mark Hamill recording that scene. "The consensus was that he is yelling 'hey' or 'yay,' rather than 'Carrie.' In other takes he specifically yells 'yay!' at that point," explains Burtt. "Like most garbled dialog, if you listen to it over and over with all the other voices in there you can convince yourself that he is saying 'Carrie' or any number of things. But we were convinced that he really was just cheering."

According to Mark Hamill, he excitedly yells "Hey! There she is!" indicating that Luke was scanning the rushing crowd for Leia. In the excitement, Luke doesn't stop to enunciate each syllable like a certain golden protocol droid would do. "I ended up swallowing the 'is' part," says Hamill. So the end result was garbled to the point that some people believe it sounds an awful lot like "Carrie!" So much so that even those closely involved in the production can hear that if they listen to it enough times..."

So even in the originals, it wasn't Carrie :D In the Special Edition, they've simply cleaned it up to rid of confusion.

Have you noticed with the stormtrooper, as he *exits*, he ducks his head so he doesn't hit the thing again?! LOL.

As for the dice... They only appear once, and that's in ANH, right? It's the first time you ever see the Falcon, when Han's taking Luke, Threepio, Artoo, and Obi-Wan aboard. I think Chewie actually bumps his head on the dice... After that though, you never see 'em again.

8. razorsaces

razorsaces Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2002
    I never noticed them but I've heard they weren't dice persay. Just the SW equivilent. :)

9. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
  10. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    More people!

11. razorsaces

Sep 10, 2002
    During the OT, you'll notice that C3PO's eye lights change thru-out the trilogy at random. I'm not sure what that means. It's almost too obvious to miss while setting up C3PO's suit.

12. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    I think it has to do with the fact the 3po is always being blown to pieces.

13. razorsaces

Sep 10, 2002
    3PO only gets blown up once in the OT...

14. BLACKJEBUS

BLACKJEBUS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    In ESB, when Luke leaves Hoth, does he exit from the backside of the planet where there are no Imperials? His X-Wing leaves without any harrassment! Han must have gone in the other direction because the Falcon gets chased by the whole Empire!

15. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Hmm, good point.

16. BLACKJEBUS

BLACKJEBUS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I also giggle at the part when Luke is leaving Dagobah, and he climbs up the orange ladder into his X-Wing. Cut to Yoda and OB1's Ghost talking to Luke, then back to Luke in the X-Wing, and the ladder is gone! [face_shocked]

17. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    I'm not sure if this one is true, but I heard somewhere that during the Kenobi vs. Vader duel in ANH, Vader's chestplate is upside-down.

In ROTJ, in the shot where Boba Fett points his blaster at Leia/Boussh, the frame must be reversed because his antenna is on the wrong side of his helmet. Not sure about the cape and Wookiee scalps, but they're most likely wrong, too.

I'm not sure about this one, but I heard that during the speeder bike chase, Luke's glove is on the wrong hand.

In TPM, after Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon run away from the from the destroyer droids, the droids turn down the corridor to chase them, but when Nute Gunray and Rune Haako look out the bridge door to watch, the droidekas are heading back the way they'd just come from.

Also in TPM, during the "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi" scene, Darth Maul's neck doesn't have the black and read tatoos on it.

In AOTC, Jango bangs his head when he gets onto Slave I. It might not have been a mistake, but I can't see the galaxy's greatest bounty hunter being so clumsy. :)

And who can forget the great AOTC duel lightsaber blunders? For a moment, Obi-Wan has his own lightsaber, then he has a different blue one, then when he tosses it to Anakin and Anakin activates it in the next shot, the two lightsabers have switched hands.

18. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    In AOTC, Jango bangs his head when he gets onto Slave I. It might not have been a mistake, but I can't see the galaxy's greatest bounty hunter being so clumsy.

But, he IS pretty clumsy. Getting trampeled by the Reek was pretty clumsy and embarassing IMO.

Also, there is a quote by Lucas out there somewhere that he added Jango's head bump on purpose as sort of a tribute to the infamous clumsy stormtrooper on the Death Star in ANH. :)

19. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    Ha ha, stupid Jango! [face_laugh]

20. Hammered_Hammerhead

Hammered_Hammerhead Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2002
    At the beginning of ROTJ when 3PO is talking to the droid in the door at Jabba's palace you can see a bank of stage lights reflected off his head.

At the end of ROTJ Han doesn't make a "ewww" face when Leia tells him Luke's her brother.

Also, why is hologram technology so lousy? You can reach lightspeed, build space stations the size of moons, but you can't get a color hologram that manages to stay tuned in the whole time. It's preposterous, I tell you.

21. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Why would you WANT to color a hologram and make the reception perfect. We don't try to make telephone sound perfectly realistic.

...and no, I'm NOT George Lucas! 8-}

22. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    In ANH, when the Falcon is speeding towards Alderaan at lightspeed, outside the cockpit we see a weird light speed effect. Then later on, the Falcon is speeding towards Yavin, outside the cockpit is a normal star field.

Someone forgot the lightspeed sfx.

What about the old faithful Kenny Baker's eye visible through the dome of R2D2 in the Jawa's Sandcrawler in ANH?

23. razorsaces

Sep 10, 2002
    George is correct about the holograms, they only have transmission errors. The Death Star holo in RotJ was error free (and not transmited).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.