main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT is changing lead characters?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by sithlord85, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithlord85

sithlord85 Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    Im not sure if anyone has noticed. But I have been a hugh fan of the OT and growing up I thought the whole trilogy was based around Luke's adventure. But now that these prequels are now finished what does the entire trilogy represent now. Luke is now somewhat just a sub character used in the OT. The main character to the OT is now Vader. After episode III is in theaters you will be able to tell certain events that show vader was becoming good and the emperor knew that, which is why he wanted Luke to kill Vader and take his place. But since the prequels having been made it has or should i say it will shift the Focus all to Vader, mostly. So now the SW trilogy is all about the guy in the suit. Its not a bad thing but it is a very strange transition for those who grew up in late 70's and early 80's. Back in 1977 the main center of the trilogy is LUKE. Sure the OT goes into depth about Luke more so than leia and in some points Vader as well. If you think about it Vader is the character the whole trilogy will be about. When you watch the trilogy over again you'll see that when all the movies are put together it will become the rise, the fall, and the redemption. You'll be able to see the films in a new light.

2. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I still think the OT is about Luke, Han, and Leia.

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The original trilogy is still about Luke, he is the main character, the protagonist and he drives the plot. Vader, Yoda, Palpatine and Obi-Wan just now have greater significance.

-Seldon

4. Theory55

Theory55 Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 3, 2004
    I'd say the OT is 50/50 between Luke and Vader, but Anakin/Vader is the main character of the saga.

5. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I agree with Seldon. The lead characters remain the same, the point of view just changed.

Smaller Roles that weren't very important in the OT (such as Yoda & Palpatine) have become much more interesting because of all the background they have, but they don't replace the lead characters at all. At the end, the characters with the most screentime in the movie 'll always be seen as the lead characters, no matter if they're important to the story or not.

Every character just gets much more detailed and every event gets a deeper meaning.

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Just because the saga as a whole is about one thing does not mean individual parts can't be about other things. I certainly would say that the OT, if TAKEN ALONE, is mostly about Luke.

As an example of how this works, the first part of The Brothers Karamazov is almost entirely about Fyodor, but the novel as a whole is not.

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I have to go along with what was already said in this thread. The lead characters of the OT are still Luke, Han and Leia. And they will always remain the focus.

Vader and the others still have significance, but nothing like the Big Three.

8. Darth_Monarch

Darth_Monarch Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2004
    The story is about whomever we follow through the adventure. So it's Luke, we do not follow Vader through the story. In fact, if you watch the PT, we are really following Kenobi not Anakin. Anakin is a device to move the story along. But the PT is about Kenobi's failure, but it of course has to show us Anakin's fall.

9. Prequel_Dreamer

Prequel_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2004
    I've always seen ESB to be as much Vaders movie as it was Lukes and I feel the same way about Jedi. Vaders arc in that movie was obsession with capturing Luke and revealing his identity to him in an attempt to turn him to the darkside. His arc in Jedi was his turmoil with his Anakin identity over his love for his son and his subsequent redemption.

If anything ANH is the prelude to Vaders arc what with resolving his relationship with Kenobi and setting up his relationship with Luke.

With the emphasis on Anakin in the PT we see him grow from a kindly youth to a heroic young man to a fallen hero. We spend so much time focusing on Anakin in the PT that we will naturally follow Vader more closely in the OT and his part will seem bigger even if his screentime isn't.

Our focus determines our reality if I'm quoting correctly. The story has become all about Vader.

10. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    TPM doesn't seem to be primarily about Anakin either. It's all important to Anakin's story, but he doesn't have to be the main character all the time.

The CT is, in my opinion, still Luke's story - it's just heavily affected by Anakin's fate (through the PT) and heavily affects Anakin's fate.

... [GL]ultimately[/GL] :p

11. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    As was pointed out, the focus of the story isn't always just in the main character. There were plenty of points in ANH and ESB where Luke got overlooked for development with Leia/Han or Darth Vader and his empire. ROTJ is really the only movie where I feel Luke just completely stole the screen for most of the movie, until Vader more or less was dragged in for the finale. In TPM, Anakin plays second slot to characters like Qui Gon Jinn and Ambidala, getting moments where he has the spotlight, but never quite eclipsing it. In AOTC, he shares it mostly with Padme and Obi Wan. I imagine ROTS is going to be Anakin's big movie because, much how ROTJ is for Luke, it's the climax of Anakin's story. But since his doesn't have a finale, he now continues to have a greater significance throughout the saga until his finale combines with Luke's. (IMO, Anakin is never really a "hero" character. He is always, sometimes as a background character, an antagonist. Even as an innocent child in TPM, he was still a source of conflict.)

IMO, the SW saga isn't so much about one person as it is about the Force/destiny or the Skywalker family at large. The best way I ever heard the SW series summarized was by a friend - "It's the story of a son who loved his father enough to try and save him."

12. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    You're all wrong, the story isn't changing lead characters, it has and always will be the story of Artoo-Detoo.

In every movie so far, he has managed to save the day and while I don't know anything about ROTS, but I'm quite positive Artoo will be there once again to save the day. The story really is about the trials and tribulations of the droid and hasn't Lucas always maintained that the story is told through the eyes of the droids? Or something along those lines? Sure Skywalker, Vader, Han and Leia have the spotlight, but of course they do as they are living, breathing sentient beings! Everyone always overlooks the droids, especially Artoo and its not fair to him!

Artoo is the main character of the saga and that will never change.

13. Aceed_Altiee

Aceed_Altiee Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2003
    On the audio commentary of ROTJ Lucas says that the main character was luke, but now that the prequels exist, its definitely Anakins story.

14. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I still think that the OT is about luke Skywalker. Vader is an important character and is essesntial to Luke becoming a jedi. However, Han and Leia and the droids are bigger characters than him in ANH and ESB.

15. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Im not sure if anyone has noticed... When you watch the trilogy over again you'll see that when all the movies are put together it will become the rise, the fall, and the redemption. You'll be able to see the films in a new light.

:confused: Didn't you get that idea back in 1999 then? I know I did. I'm pretty sure Uncle george has said something to that effect too, between then and now, although I can't lay my hands on the quote at the moment.

As has been said above, it's not so much a shifting of lead characters, but it definitely re-shapes the movies as a six-part saga.

But like E_V said, Star Wars is about R2-D2. I believe George has said that too, but again I'm not sure where that came from. I know he mentions R2 saving the day on the TESB comm.

:) {||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

16. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    The way I see it, the 'saga' is about Anakin, but the PT is about Obi-wan, and the OT is about Luke.

ttbk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.