main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars OT Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by wraith13, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wraith13

wraith13 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    Hope its alright that I start a thread on the costumes from Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. I just saw the movie recently and loved it. Colleen Atwood's costume designs were amazing!

Here are reference pics that I found so far:
    http://www.outnow.ch/Media/Img/2004/SeriesOfUnfortunateEvents/
    http://www.jimcarreyworld.com/jim-carrey-lemony-snicket-costume-display.php photos of original costumes on display
    http://emily-browning.org/ Violet Baudelaire pics

There's been chats on other boards about Violet's and Sunny's costumes. I can't wait to see what the talented costumers here will come up with :) . I wonder how many Count Olafs are going to be giving out candy to "monkeys" next Halloween? :p
    I really love Violet's purple dress and blue winter coat. The coat especially seems very wearable for everyday. Any thoughts on patterns for them?

wraith13

2. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    I've been thinking about making her coat too. I have a couple of patterns saved on my computer at home that I'll try to post later. They might be good as a base and could be modified.

3. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    Here's a pattern that I thought might be good to modify for the coat.
    http://www.patternsoftime.com/cat76.html

It's the one called 'Riding habit' at the bottom. Of course, it would have to be lengthened and you'd have to do the closures down the front differently. There's a lot more seams in it when you look at the pics though.

Here's some screen caps of the coat.

http://www.outnow.ch/Media/Img/2004/SeriesOfUnfortunateEvents/?i=movie%2E1%2F49%2Ejpg&w=1400&h=931

http://www.outnow.ch/Media/Img/2004/SeriesOfUnfortunateEvents/?i=movie%2E1%2F31%2Ejpg&w=1400&h=931

http://www.outnow.ch/Media/Img/2004/SeriesOfUnfortunateEvents/?i=movie%2E1%2F53%2Ejpg&w=1400&h=932

http://www.outnow.ch/Media/Img/2004/SeriesOfUnfortunateEvents/?i=movie%2E1%2F40%2Ejpg&w=1400&h=931

4. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I really liked the way Victorian clothing and sets were used to emphasize the miserable life style of the children. Personally I LOVE Violet's dress and was considereing making it :D I really thought it was unique.

5. wraith13

Sep 20, 2002
  6. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    Oops! Sorry about that.

I'm not sure what I want to make mine out of. I may not make it blue since I'm probably not making the costume itself. I just like the style of the coat.

7. wraith13

Sep 20, 2002
    Somebody on another board called it "Kmart blue" :p .

8. Baudelaire_Babe

Baudelaire_Babe Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2005
    I love that coat! If I had more time and energy I'd make that as well as the dress. There is one thing that's got me stuck about the dress - I saw at one point that Violet took her hair ribbon from her dress, but did she have a pocket in the skirt, or was it attached to a hook or something? (I can be incredibly fussy about detail!) I gotta tell you, you can't walk around in the boots and skirt and not feel like Violet! :D

9. wraith13

Sep 20, 2002
    I think it was threaded into her top at the waist. It might be the train scene where you could see her pulling the ribbon out.

wraith13

10. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I finally saw the movie and am totally wowed by Violet's dress. It looks so complex though! There is so much going on with it! I also really loved the wedding dress. There seem to be no pictures of it anywhere though!

11. Faery_Cat

Faery_Cat Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2005
    This is the next (or one of the next) costumes I'm planning on making. It's just so...perfect! But I must admit, the complexity of the dress has kept me awake in bed for hours, and after long contemplations and cuddles with a hot water bottle, I figured out how I (personally) will solve the worst problem's. My few strokes of genius all seemed to come at about 2 or 3 at night, and I'll throw them out here for further ideas.

The 'stripes' on her dress are not stripes at all, but some ribbon or strips of fabric sewn down to a point. They aren't shiney though, but look very much like the underside of ordinary spool ribbon. So, it would mean a LOT of ribbon and some patience, but that wouldn't be to terribly difficult to conquer. Then there are all those funky designs around the hem (and above the pointy pleated ruffle), since I and my machine can't applique, I thought I'd cut the designs out of velvet, dab the edges with fray check, and zigzag them down. I figure the zigzaging will get lost in the pile of the velvet. Does that seem plausible, or like the delusions of a sleepdeprived student?

12. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    I thought it looked like sewn down ribbon on the bodice (and presumably the skirt) as well! The ruffle made of pointed strips of fabric looks really difficult though!

13. LadySonnet

LadySonnet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2003
    Here's what I've thought (yeah, I want to make this one too)-

I've seen the dress as a sheer black over solid white/gray. And then the stripes/points and circle designs on the skirt are another layer of the sheer black appliqued over the skirt layer (thus making it opaque black).

I was planning on zig-zaging it too, I just had different materials in mind. So no, that doens't sound delusional. :)

Sonnet

14. Faery_Cat

Faery_Cat Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2005
    I should probably watch the movie again, I don't remember (and can't see in any pictures) her skirt having a sheer overlay with all the 'stuff' sewn to it. I just thought that it was a solid purpley grey silk sort of fabric with a petticoat or two underneath. And yes, the pointy ruffle will be very, very tricksy. That'll take a little experimentation to get just right.

15. Naboo_Girl

Naboo_Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2003
    I actually found time to make Violet's coat. WOW!

[image=http://www.eastofthewoods.com/medievalcourt/images/violet2.jpg]
    More photos here.

I went with a gray fabric simply because I had it at home. Also I wanted to wear it around without it actually being Violet's coat. ;)

I used Butterick 3638 for the pattern and modified it by; making it longer in front and back, changing the sleeves to bell sleeves and making my own collar. I amazed myself because the mockup worked the first time I made it! The only thing that was hard about it was the collar, but then again, I never been very good at collars. They always come out crooked. lol

For the swirly design on the front, I first drew it on paper, pinned it to the coat, stitch around the design, and then all I had to do was rip the paper off. To make the design raised, I added quilt batting between the fabric and lining.

16. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    Excellent work! I'm so jealous!!

17. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Naboo_girl - that's amazing! Lovely work!

BTW, the FIDM exhibit in LA currently has some costumes from Lemony Snicket. I'm not sure which ones are there, though Cat told me that while they don't have Violet's regularl dress, they do have her wedding gown there. I so want to see it - it was one of my favorite costumes from the movie! I haven't found any pictures of it online - has anyone else? I'm hoping that when the FIDM web gallery goes up there is a pic of it..

18. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Naboo_Girl -- great job!
    What a fun coat -- I'll bet you get tons of compliments on it. :)

19. wraith13

Sep 20, 2002
    Naboo_Girl, your coat is brilliant! The swirly design came out really well :).
    PadawansGuide, here are some pics of the wedding gown:
    back of dress
    sleeve detail

I remember seeing a pic that showed the embroidered birds on the bodice. I'll try to find it again.

20. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Thanks wraith13! If you find any more, let me know! I thought it was such a neat dress. I also thought it interesting that Violet's clothes all have the same sort of elements to them - like multiple fastenings. Compare her coat to her shoes - and the wedding dress - I swear it had a similar element to it...

21. Aranelonline

Aranelonline Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2005
    wow, i would love to make that dress. but the complicated-ness of it is as of now scaring me away. quick observation i made about violet's dress. is her dress actually a bodice and a skirt? in this picture http://www.outnow.ch/Media/Img/2004/SeriesOfUnfortunateEvents/?i=movie%2E1%2F18%2Ejpg&w=1400&h=932 (crosses fingers that the link works) it really looks like a bodice and a skirt. or maybe i'm seeing things.
    i can't wait for the dvd to come out so i can do some serious studying of this dress!

22. Aranelonline

Aranelonline Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2005
    wow, so i just reread the thread and what i posted, and man am i an idiot! everyone mentions bodice and skirt, and wow, i am too dumb to notice. i need sleep. this is what happens when i stay up late costuming, i see (or don't see) things.

however, i did have a brainstorm last night. i was thinking of making a simplified verson of violet's coat for my little cousin who is 3. i was thinking i might make it in light pink. hmmmm.... i need to think this through...

23. LadySonnet

LadySonnet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2003
    Wow... I had to dig eight pages back to find this thread! I posted this in the '2005 projects' thread, but I thought I'd bring it up here too...

Well, I finished it just in time for a convention I wasn't able to go to (dangit), but hooray! I finished it! Without further adieu, here is my Violet Baudelaire costume!

[image=http://dragonfly.cx/coppermine/albums/Betho_VioletDress/normal_Betho.VioletDress%20015.jpg]

Here's a link to the full gallery. Some of the pictures are kind of dark, but if you click on an image to get it full sized you can see the colors more true (I warn you though - full size is huge!).

If you're curious, I wrote a bit in my LiveJournal about how I made it. Here's the link.

In my journal I also mention the book that I found most helpful in making this costume. It's called "Behind the Scenes with Count Olaf". Great pictures, of the front and the back of the costume.

Sonnet

24. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    That looks fantastic!! I can't wait to see a picture of you wearing it.

25. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Gorgeous job!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.