main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[OT] Lord of the Rings TCG

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Exactly my point. He is one minion. The general consensus is that the fear of Grima is worse than the card itself.

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yep. Few players in my meta use Wormtongue at all, although I am considering putting him back in because people are starting to fear him less.

3. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    A card like Grima, WT would be great early in a game to really get your oppoent thinking. It doesn't take much to rack up three FP cards on a companion, no matter what the culture.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Well, I kinda like using him in my Moria deck. I'll play him early, even if my opponent doesn't necessarily have the right number of possessions. Then, later in the game, I'll use Nertëa to bring him back and do his work on whoever I need.

5. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    Check out the BoHD rulebook for spoiler pictures of Saruman, Master of Foul Folk and Ent's of Fangorn card Westfold.

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I went 4-1 in my prerelease, taking first place. Yay me!

7. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    Bummer about the release of Helm's Deep being put back a week.

8. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
  9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    My elf name: Findecáno Sîrfalas

10. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Gives us another week to play our Rainbow Fellowships! :)

R'Bolt

11. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    The inventory manager is avialable here This is the manager for the LotR online game. It can also be used for offline use.

However, it is 20MB big. My IT manager will have a pink fit if he sees me download something that big!

Oh well, you only live once...

(If you never hear from me again, you will know that I have been caught and dealt with... :D )

EDIT- apparantly there is some problem downloading the file, so I wont try (yet)

- Bib, did you get any good pulls from your pre-release?

- The nmakers of CGO are a little busy ATM and will try to get the BoHD files out ASAP

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I ended up with the Legolas deck. My 3 rares from the deckbuilding part were Sting, Stone Tower and Leaping Blaze. Everyone got 3 additional packs for prizes when the tourney was done, where I got Be Back Soon, Break The Charge and Gimli. I also traded for 2 foils: I Am Here and Isengard Rider.

13. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    Bwahahahahahahahahaha [face_devil]

Why wait till 5/3 to see all the card images. Download the Card manager from the online game and you can get them all!

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Well, between what's posted on Decipher's site, and the various pulls at my prerelease, I think I've seen all of the card images anyway.

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I've got 2 boxes of this set coming to me. I've been testing the various new cultures on Apprentice, and here are my thoughts.

Shadow

Southrons: They're much, much better than they were, and they can often corrupt easier than Easterlings (due to Howl Of Harad being much more useful now).

Wargs: Extremely fun to use, and they have great stopping power. Denial shuts them down though.

Berserkers: They're the best of the new Shadow cultures now. I've detonated Devilry Of Orthanc 3 times in one game once, and I can often load it in the same turn I play it. Causing excess wounds and capitalizing on them makes for some interesting in-game choices for the opponents.

Sauron: They're a great swarm now, thanks to all the card-drawing guys, plus Forces Of Mordor to help pay for all the cards you draw. I've once gotten 11 minions out at Site 4.

Dunland: They've got a good swarm now too, but it's iffy, because your opponent can eliminate a lot of the cheap, powerful guys.

Gollum: He works great in an Easterling, Nazgûl or Sauron corruption deck, but neither version will probably see use outside of those decktypes.

Fellowship:

Knights. Not very good at all. I've tried all of the new Shadow strategies against them, plus many of the old ones, and they just can't stay alive very long.

Rohan: I love the possession manipulation they have now, plus they finally get some direct woundage with Rohirrim Bow. Gamling can be such a beast. Since the new Théoden and Éowyn have the Gandalf signet, I expect to see a new breed of Trust Me decks using those guys.

Frodo, Sam and Sméagol: Those 3 little guys are quite resilient and tough to get rid of. The little bugger known as Slinker is almost invulnerable, as long as you have some burden removal. Sam's built-in Bounder text is so fun to experiment with; it's kinda hard to get 30 strength on him.

Ents: I love how they don't have to fight unless you want them to, so you can just run Ents and Hobbits for a few sites, pile the minions on the Hobbits, and stealth away from the skirmishes. They've got high vitality too, so if they need to fight, they can do it several times.

Elves: A pure-Elf deck just got a little easier to pull off, thanks to Taurnil, who shuts down Raiders, Wargs, Nazgûl and of course Moria, and Balglin's built-in Armor helps slow down Uruks.

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Yay, a Black Rider tour is coming to Oregon, and it's only an hour away from me!

17. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Amazing to hear that Decipher has already pre sold all of the "first run" (I suspect) of Battle of Helms Deep. Can't wait personally for our boxes to arrive.

R'Bolt

18. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Actually just read that the BOHD set will not be reprinted. That stikes me as a bit unreal given they are already sold out at the Decipher warehouse. Perhaps there is enough at dealers to meet the demand. Glad my son and i have got our two boxes preordered.

R'Bolt

19. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    It will be interesting to see how long it takes for BoHD to sell out in the stores. I believe the same happened to FotR and I picked up a booster the other day.

I called my retailer yesterday and couldn't believe it. HEw says my two boxes will be in this week. So I get my cards at the same time aas everyone else! Whoopeee!

Have you tried out the Collection Organizer? I like it, although in some ways they have tried to do "too much" I would have prwefered better sort options, but that's just me.

20. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Hehe, last week, boxes of BOHD at my store were $69.30. Now they're $120. Good thing I bought mine when I did.

21. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    A while back, I had a strange impulse to find out how many possible starting combinations there were. Yes, I know I may have a little too much time on my hands, but curiosity can be a strong influence.

I posted the results from TTT shortly after the spoiler for that expansion was released. The only problem was that I only included the stat for fellowships that used all 4 twilight.

The new version includes ALL companions through BoHD. I did it on an Excel spreadsheet which made life easier. I have also added the possibilities for using 0 - 3 twilight. Gollum was the biggest pain as he had to be factored into every possibility. (Effectively making me do each combo twice) Another stumbling block was characters with different starting conditions, like Haldir who has one version that has to spot elves and another that doesn't. Same goes for Faramir who sometimes can and sometimes can't deploy other rangers.

Anyway, I have compiled the reesults, and I can tell you that if you include the three possible rings, six Frodos, and other multiple personalities, there are a total of 160293 possible starting fellowships. These are divided up from 876 possible combos (not counting different personas)

If you want to audit the list, PM me with your e-mail address and I will see what I can do.

22. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Too much math. *faints*

23. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    LOL.

In reality, the maths was the easy part (thanks to Excel formulas). THE hard part was making sure that I had all the companions, and then all the correct persona numbers. I have already found a big error: I forgot to include the poor old Rohirrim Scout. Therefor, the new stat is...

from 930 possible combinations!

24. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    I have checked out the Collection Manager. It looks great in my opinion. Given it is an alpha verion, I suspect there will still be a good number of changes (improvements). I did get to see the interface of the game itself at DecipherCon. It looked awesome. I don't know how Decipher is going to price it, but I suspect it'll be out of reach of many players. I would hope that they would at the least introduce the cards in an orderly way. That is, start with a Premier release and then add expansions slowly. Trying to get a complete set of cards (5 expansions) right off the bat would be a non starter.

R'Bolt

25. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Ooh, the Black Rider tour list has been updated, and one is coming right here to Eugene on April 3rd! Yay!

Now, if the BoHD boxes would just arrive soon, that would just make my day. Stupid slow UPS. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.