main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[OT] Lord of the Rings TCG

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    I'm having the same prob with my boxes. My retailer said this week. He promised to call me when eitherr teh boxes arrive or if there's a delay (usual).

Being impatient, I called our city's other card shop and they said next Tuesday! Grrrrr. It is now Thursday the 13th here in West Oz, and I am hoping, hoping, hoping that I get my call today.

Heh heh, the other day I thought of a fun deck type: Aragorn and the ladies. You start Arwen and Eowyn, and then pull Aragorn with the Riddermark. What cards would you put in this deck? I think "Hard Choice" would eb a given. ANything else? (We're talking "fun deck" here, not tourney winner!)

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I got 3 boxes today, and I picked up some great foils:

Gamling
    Grishnákh
    Sharku
    Berserk Slayer
    Morannon

And lots more. Wahoo!

3. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    Cool pulls! I am getting my boxes tomorrow. It is the first time I am getting two boxes at once. Am I likely to get the whole set from this? (Not inclusing foils)

4. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Well I'd say the chances are with you, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is at least one rare that might prove to be elusive. Wishing you the best!

Those pulls do sound pretty good Bib. Our boxes won't arrive until Saturday.

R'Bolt

5. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    Well, I'm stupid, so I didn't pre-order. I'm scrambling to find a store that will still sell me a box at a reasonable price. Most are sold out already from pre-orders. Others want what they have to last them a while, since decipher won't be reprinting the set. Others just have them priced too dang high.

Oh, the pain.....:)

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Well, considering that there's 40 rares in the set, and a box has 36 packs, there is a 99% chance you'll get a complete set with 2 boxes.

7. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    I like those odds. The Card game Gods, particularly those related to LotR, have been kind to me lately.

8. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Latest official statement from Decipher regarding Helms Deep boosters. Sounds like the possibility of reprinting boosters may be in the works.

Official Statement on Battle of Helm's Deep Boosters

Decipher always uses the best information available at the time of a print run to determine appropriate quantities for our products. Some of these indicators may be distributor pre-orders, set size, product configuration, potential new markets, and anecdotal evidence of consumer energy in the marketplace. This is exactly the kind of information we used to determine the print run for Battle of Helm's Deep. We did not do anything different with this set, nor did we cut any distributor orders. In fact, we met all of the distributor requests completely.

We are now sold out of boosters, and the product is in the distribution pipeline. Some retailers are reporting they cannot get more product from their distributor. We believe this may be a result of new players getting into the game after The Two Towers set released. We continue to believe we printed an appropriate amount of product for this set, but we will continue to watch this in the near and distant future to see if there is a demand for additional BOHD boosters. Our Sales and Marketing team will be available at the GAMA Trade Show (GTS) next week to talk directly with retailers and hear their feedback about the availability of BOHD boosters in the marketplace.

In addition, French, Spanish, Italian, and German-language Battle of Helm's Deep is planned to be available in stores in late March or early April.

R'Bolt

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Well, out of my Helm's Deep cards, I have put together the following decks:

Ents/Southrons
    Frodo, Sam and Sméagol/Berserkers
    Rohan/Sauron
    Denial/Wargs

All of them are pretty good, but of course, they all have their weaknesses. Fortunately, they're not all vulnerable to the same type of decks, so if I can judge what my local players are gonna use, I can pick the appropriate deck.

I'm not going to even touch a Knight deck. They're horrible beyond belief.

10. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    yahoo! I scored the full set of BoHD! Even some handy doubles, like three copies of Sharku. I am going to try a few decks, include a "Keep Smeagol" and a "discard smeagol" deck. Ents look like a good deck and I have enough good cards to make a decent Wargs deck.

IMHO, the new Gimli is one of the best of his persona, especially with his weaker Dwarf pals.

11. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Well... we're still waiting on our boxes. They should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. Potomac Distribution doesn't get them on release day. We've already got all the commons and uncommons and a number of rares from a couple of prereleases and after having bought a number of packs at our local card shop. Can't wait to start opening them.

R'Bolt

12. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    Im thinking of takin the lotrtcg up, but i dunno. Is it really worth it? i was a fan of both the tcg and the ccg, is it hard to pick up?

13. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    It's a fun game. You might want to try and find a gaming store near you to find players who will be able to demo the game for you. You could also check out Decipher's site which has information on playing the game (video included). As with any game of this sort, it does involve a significant investment in cards, so doing the research before spending money would be a good idea.

Fellowship (Premier) and Two Towers are the best sets to draw from initially for cards in my opinion. If you're interested in starters, probably the best to get at this point might be the Battle of Helms Deep starters.

Tournament Locator:
    Tournament Locator

Getting Started Page:
    Getting Started

The tournament locator would be a good indicator if there is an active player base in your area.

R'Bolt

14. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    Yea well i dont really have a gaming store near me, but i have spotted some places to buy from

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    The game is a lot of fun, and the rules are simple to pick up. It's not a very complex game at all, however the strategies involved are quite subtle; the casual observer wouldn't be able to see the subtlety. It is a lot more than just play and move.

16. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    The LOTR TCG is one of the best games I've ever played. Whenever I egt sick of some of the SWCCG non-interactivity, I go play LOTR. (Here's three fierce Uruk-hai. Your options are Fight or...Fight.) It's a huge adrenaline rush just about every time.

Also, the cards are holding their value tremendously. I bought two boxes of TT and got completely identical boxes. I was able to sell less than a box of rares (34 to be exact.. plus 3 of the 8 foils I got) and the money I made was enough to pay for both boxes. So as a collector's item, you just cannot go wrong.

17. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    I'll agree LOTR's is a "fun" game and the cards themselves are super well designed to boot. I just love the template designs Decipher has come up with. Hopefully the game will continue well into the future.

R'Bolt

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Since the boards are going to be split up soon, what will be the fate of OT threads like this one? Will there be duplicate LOTR TCG threads on both boards, or will this one just stay where it is?

19. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    The OT game topics on this baord are Decipher-related and will remain here. Baca will have to make a call on WOTC game-related OT threads.

20. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I've come up with this really fun Shadow side:

It uses 2X Gollum, 4X Evil-smelling Fens, 4X We Must Have It, and the rest of the deck is a typical Uruk swarm deck, with Captains, Regulars, Lieutenants, Ravagers and Plains Runners.

The idea is to use Evil-smelling Fens to get key minions back. It's especially fun when you get Nertëa or Uruk Captain back, as they can get even more minions.

It's really meant to be used at the League site where you add a burden each time you move, since Gollum and Worry will pile on the burdens, but it's useful in normal Open play.

Complete Shadow decklist:

Broad-bladed Sword X2
    Evil-smelling Fens X4
    Gollum, Stinker X2
    Saruman, Keeper of Isengard X3
    Savagery to Match Their Numbers X4
    Troop of Uruk-hai
    Úlairë Enquëa, Lieutenant of Morgul
    Úlairë Nertëa, Messenger of Dol Guldur
    Uruk Captain X3
    Uruk Lieutenant X3
    Uruk Plains Runner X3
    Uruk Ravager X3
    Uruk Regular X4
    We Must Have It X4
    Worry X2

The FP side is a typical Help in Doubt and Need deck, with a little Sam SOH to reduce burdens, since I'm also on the burden league site.

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Anyway, that deck did pretty well in league play earlier this week. It went 2-1: One Frodo kill, one Frodo corruption, and it lost the race to a choke/archery deck.

In other news, I've got a Black Rider coming to town in a few hours! I can't wait to beat Kendrick and get my box.

22. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I didn't get to play Kendrick last Thursday, but I did attend a PSQ today, going 4-2 and taking second place, using the same deck outlined above, plus or minus a few cards.

23. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Decipher has posted to it's site an announcement that Battle of Helm's Deep will be reprinted. Interesting, especially after the previous announcement that they would not be reprinting them. Good thing for players and dealers alike.

R'Bolt

24. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I never had any doubts that they would reprint BOHD.

25. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Arg, the best shop in my area is closing at the end of the month. Now where am I going to waste my time and money?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.