[OT] Lord of the Rings TCG

Discussion in 'Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling

star 3
    If you want to send me a Private Message, I can try to answer your questions. The game is not as complicated as it seems from the rulebook. Just takes a little getting used to.

2. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I was thinking last night that there are heaps of cool ways that Decipher could "enhance" these cards. Let's see...

Permanent weapons are an obvious choice, and would be great to do. However, they could potentially be too powerful.

Combos would be cool. Frodo & Sam, Merry & Pippin.

On another note, there ahs been a heap of discussion over on the list serve about Gollum. Companion or Minion? What do you think. I would like to see a Gollum culture.
  3. Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I think Gollum should have his own culture, since he really doesn't fit in anywhere else. I'd say make s culture span Free Peoples and Shadow cards, and make different versions of Gollum as a Companion and as a Minion. It would be based off the two personalities he exhibits in The Two Towers, Gollum and Smeagol. I made up a couple dream cards of the Decipher Dream Card BBS a while ago, they should still be there. I'll track 'em down later and post 'em here.
  4. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan

star 4
    see [link=http://www.decipher.com/lordoftherings/expansions/minesofmoria/moriapreview.html]here[/link]for some previews of Mines of Moria cards!
  5. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan

star 4
    More spoilers to be found [link=http://www.gameplayersnetwork.com/card/features.asp?gm=lotr&id=59]right here at GPN[/link]
  6. Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games)

VIP
    star 4
    The new Nelya and Bill Ferny are wicked... geez.
  7. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan

star 4
    New cards up at Decipher (see link above)

Put Gimli, Aragorn, No stranger to the Shadows, a few Hobbits and Talent for Not Being Seen together, and the Shadow will be strangled at sites 4 and 5.
  8. pinbstr300 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    just wanted to get my $0.02 in. I FINALLY sat down and read the rules and looked over some of the cards. I like the design of the game. I think they incorperated the Shadows and Allies well. I cant wait to start playing so I can get all the tricks down :) I may have found a replacement for SWCCG :) WOO HOO!!!! thats probably not worth a whole $0.02 so if someone wants to give me some change feel free :)

--C
  9. Spud The Hutt Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I agree completely. LotR is a new and refreshing take on TCG's. I love the fact that I only have to design one deck and that Decipher has finally developed a game that can be played multiplayer. At first I must say that I was a little skeptical, but after having played it more and more I'm totally sold on it.

Spud
  10. LtKettch Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Yes, LOTR is very good. I bought a few packs, then I bought a box. The rares are cool, but you can still play competitive without them.

Basically Decipher has made a CCG that is easy to learn, deep, cheap, collectable, single player, multiplayer and catches the spirit of the film and books. Good job Decipher.

Tomorrow I'm running my first tourney at Dragon's Den in Saskatoon, SK. If anybody in Saskatoon wants to come by and check it out, we're starting at noon.
  11. Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games)

VIP
    star 4
    I agree with all. Lord of the Rings is the first card game since I discovered Star wars (nearly 7 years ago) to hook me this fast and this much. Decipher will kick some major bum as this game contuinues. Their designers did an awesome, awesome job.

NOTE: "much" here is defined as me getting both starters, a sealed deck, two boxes, and nearly half a box of loose packs all in the course of a week :)
  12. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan

star 4
    If you w3ant to play LotR online, forget cardtable. Forget Apprentice. Master Craftsman in the program.

OK, so it's a bit limited at the moment, but once the programmer gets a few cards into the game and shows us how to deckbuild, THIS will be THE way to play online.

Here's what I mean. Think of cardtable, but it knows the rules of the game. It asks you if you want to play a card, and you click that card. It knows that Gandalf: Grey Pilgrim draws a card and asks if you want to do it. It asks if you want to add 2 to the twiglight pool when you play Goblin Runner.

It has a couple of small bugs to iron out, but I can really recommend this to anyone.

Get Master Craftsman [link=http://www.danielplaisted.com/mastercraftsman/] here [/link]
  13. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I definatley do not like this for a couple reasons, one of them being that I'd like to see the gametext while I'm playing, whether it does it auto or not. 2nd, if the deck designer guys ever finish their card table it would be great as you can just probably import decks right from the designer over into the game part.

If decipher's smart, they'll make their own online version... but not for a cost this time.
  14. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I wanted to make sure on an aspect of a game- with events and conditions, if you deploy them one turn but do not utilize them this turn, they do stay there until you do, correct? or must you use them the turn you deploy them?
  15. Castin_Lah Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I'm pretty sure events are imediate, like Effects in Star Wars, conditions on the other hand, unless they say discard at regroup phase, are permanent, unless canceled by cards like Albert Dreery or Sleep.
  16. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Use this comparison if your a CCG player:
    Event = Interupt
    Condition = Effect

They're basically the same.

EDIT: Effects aren't immediate Castin, only in some cases, Interupts always are.
  17. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Are you able to play an event to the table but let it stay there until needed?
  18. Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling

star 3
    No. Events always, always say during which phase you can play them - Fellowship, Maneuver, Skirmish, etc. You play the event, pay its cost, and discard it. Events do not stay in play.

Conditions usually stay in play. Conditions almost never say during which phase you play them, because you can only play them during your Fellowship phase (if you are currently the Fellowship player) or Shadow phase (if you are currently the Shadow player).

If a condition or an event has a keword (in bold) that is not a particular phase, it is a keyword that may be referenced by other cards. For example, Hobbit Intuition has the keywords Stealth and Skirmish on it. The Stealth keyword is referenced by other cards which may do things like "cancel a Stealth event just played."

Does that help?

19. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Oooohhhh, ok. So they are deployed during the appropriate phase. Got it. I had been playing that you throw down events during the fellowship phase, and then just choose to use one during the appropriate phase mentioned on the card if you wanted to. 'k, cool.
  20. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The Master Craftsman program has updated with all starter decks, and now includes all Dwarf and Elf cards from Fellowship of the Ring, plus a few other goodies.

It's fairly good. I use it on two computers next to each iother to avoid minimizing and the like.

One problem i have found is that the Balrog (Common) flips the program out. Other than that, there are few bugs. I really like tghis program.
  21. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    What suggestions do you have for deck building strategies? Is it best to focus one particular race/culture or have a variety so twilight costs are cheaper early on?

For example, at the moment, I took almost all my cards from my three starters and booster packs and divied them up into three full decks- an Aragon/Nagul/Mordor deck, a Gandalf/Urak-Hai/Moria and a Hobbits/whatever-is-left-over one. I just curious if this is the best approach or not. Grasping a game's deck design concept is difficult for me to grab at first (just look at some of my older posts, like my first EBO deck thread if you want proof..hehe) so I wanted to amke sure I'm headed in the right direction.
  22. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I have found that the best thing to do in deckbuilding is decide first on your cultures. The main thing that you notice is that the Free Peoples' work together well, while Shadow cultures do not (The only exception being the Morgul Skulker who shuffles a couople of Nazgul cards)

This means that your shadow part of the deck needs to be fairly focused. Look for cards within the culture that work together nicley.

Strength enhancers are always useful, particularly for the Free Peoples. I'm talking Swordarms, Defiances, Intuitions and the like. Hobbit Stealth and Hobbit Intuition are particularly nice because you can put a Hobbit against the opponent's tougfhest minion, and then cancel the skirmish (To really annoy the oppoennt, don't move and make him discard the minion, thus wasting it)

You will need to get more than just the starters, but if that's all you want to get, then mix and match a bit. Maybe put Aragorn with Moria or Gandalf with the Nazgul. It won't always work, but hey, games are supposed to be fun!

You have to be careful with your sites. If you don't have Moria, then keep rigfht away from picking Dimrill Dale, or if you do have Archers, don't pick Anduin Wilderland.

Some cards look bad, but are actually good. An example of this is Dwarrodelf Chamber. It says "When you move here, exert Gimli or two other companions" While this looks dumb (Why would I want to exert my own character!) what if the opponent doesn't have Gimli? They will have to exert two character instead.

Don't just fill your shadow part with minions. It won't work. You need strength adders and other nasties. In a deck with lot's of cheep critters (like the Moria Swarm) it may help a little, but a card like Legolas: Greenleaf will rip through your swarm. Direct damagers and strength adders are a must.

Cards that stop other cards from healing are also good, especially early on in the game. Cards like Black Breath are annoying to get obn a card before they hit the first Sanctuary.

With the Free Peoples, see what works together well, especially with the shadow part. Card drawing will help a swarm deck, while cards that decrease a site's shadow number will allow you to choose the sites that have high shadow numbers (Thus helping your shadow and not the opponent's)

Remember that the Free Peoples mix nicely. Boromir, Son of Denethor helps your Hobbits, while Aragorn KIE helps other cultures (As along as they have the right signet). Don't be afraid to mix cultures. THey combine well.

Look for cards that remove or prevent wounds. The gandalf culture is great for prevention, while Hobbits and Araghorn are good for healing.

I hope that all helps.
  23. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    whats usually the best ratio of free peoples vs shadow cards? 50/50?
  24. E_Greyshadow Jedi Youngling

star 2
    When creating decks for LOTR, you have to have the same number of Free Peoples and Shadow cards in the deck. Therefore, if you have 30 FP cards, you need to have 30 Shadow cards to compliment.
  25. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Something I forgot to mention in my post above. Don't forget the Shire culture. EVERY deck you make will have at least one Shire card- Frodo (and a pretty darn important card at that.) Don't neglect your poor Hobbit, because if he dies, you lose. That's why the Stealth cards are so handy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.