[OT] Lord of the Rings TCG

Discussion in 'Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Are we playing a game of multiplayer or what? :)
  2. Ocelot_X Jedi Knight

star 1
    >>Don't just fill your shadow part with minions. It won't work. You need strength adders and other nasties. In a deck with lot's of cheep critters (like the Moria Swarm) it may help a little, but a card like Legolas: Greenleaf will rip through your swarm. Direct damagers and strength adders are a must.

I don't know, I'm usually not a huge fan of strength adding events for Shadow. If you're using Uruk Snows, for example, it'd be pretty silly to include a bunch of strength bonuses since you'll prevent them from being played, and in a Swarm deck, it's always better to put in a power 5 goblin for 1 twilight than a power 2 event for 0, since a good Swarm deck can add enough twilight to cover a cost difference of 1. Strength adders also suck for the Nazgul, since you're already paying through the nose to put those suckers out, and most (maybe all, I didn't check) of their strength adders cost something. Archery decks don't need to add strength since the skirmishes are completely immaterial to the deck. You get your damage from the archery fire, not the skirmishes. Weapons for the Shadow are better than strength adding events, since they last for more than one skirmish and often provide a damage bonus besides.

I find that the most important thing to consider when building a Shadow deck is to be judicious with your use of support cards, conditions in particular. Make sure that they don't make up too big a chunk of the deck. Minions are the meat and potatoes of any Shadow deck, so don't leave yourself with too few to fit in a billion Shadow conditions. You'll end up not being able to play anything, since pretty much every Shadow support card requires a particular kind of minion to be in play to use. Nothing sucks like having a ton of Under The Watching Eyes and Hates in your hand, with no Sauron orcs to exert.
  3. Castin_Lah Jedi Knight

star 2
    A good swarm deck can play 3 minions with weapons for -3 twilight, in essence they just add a bunch of twilight and then attack with a cave troll or balrog.

Edit: Is anyone here good enough to look at a deck and make good criticisms? If so please lmk. It is a Defender +1 ranger deck with HUGE sauron minions, burden adders, enduring evils, enheartend foes and Orc Banners.
  4. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Here's a couple of my ideas for Gollum when they release him-

-make him a character that plays during the shadow phase but isn't discarded after a turn is over

-or represent him on the path with his own token, so he basicly deploys behind the fellowship (unless he gets out on the first turn) and has to follow them and try to catch up.

-along the lines of the above, only when you deploy him, he deploys alongside an 8 or 9 site and has to basicly go in reverse to what the fellowship is doing until the descending sites meet the ascending sites.

But, since I've not read the books, those are just based on seeing FOTR, as well as The Two Towers preview running at the end of FOTR now.

"The THEIVES! The FILTHY little THIEVES! They STOLE my PRECSIOUS! And we WANTS it..."
  5. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Master

star 4
    Anyone know where I can get that Two Towqers preview in mpeg?
  6. Artie-Deco Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm almost finished reading The Two Towers.

Gollum should be his own culture. But he should be capable of being EITHER a companion OR a minion.

And if anyone else is still interested in playing a multi-player game on-line here in the forum, I'm game! :)

7. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I think there is just the one bootleg up, so quicktime is the only way to go (but then, isn't it always?::) ).

I'd be up for a multiplayer game I think..I'd probably get crushed, but what the hell, I did get the rare Aragorn so maybe that deck has a chance, regardless of the lack of MoM cards[face_batting]
  8. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    We definately should get a multiplayer game going. But it would be best to have a seperate thread ala the sample game thread, as to not drag this one down with play-by-play posts.

Red, would that be ok?
  9. E_Greyshadow Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hmm... I'd be up for a game of multiplayer.

On a related topic, I have posted my Vader's Lightsaber card to compliment the LOTR Darth Vader I made earlier. Check it out!
  10. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Hehe- maybe we should allow our game to use that Vader card, that way the game thread will be on topic::D
  11. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    OK, so so far, for the multiplayer game we have as players:

Anonymous_Jedi
    Artie-Deco
    E_Greyshadow
    The2ndQuest

Anyone else want in?

Also, when we're playing we should include gametext and stats for the cards we play, since it would make it easier for non/new players to follow, as well as folks like me, who don't have every card memorized[face_batting]
  12. Ocelot_X Jedi Knight

star 1
    Does anyone know of any good Moria condition removal cards? I can't think of any, or any good way to splash it in from another culture, and I made a deck which really needs it. It's a Moria Archery deck, and I can't afford to have Blood Of Numenor hitting the table. That card makes all Sauron orcs come into play exhausted (to get rid of their valuable exertions), but skips the archery phase so as to save them from total annihilation. But as a side effect (or maybe it was intentional), it COMPLETELY hoses Moria Archery. Skipping the archery phase outright makes my Shadow deck worthless. I know silver bullet cards like this generally don't see a lot of play, but just the risk of that card is too much. Any ideas what I can do about it, short of just killing Aragorn and Boromir?
  13. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Here's another question- if a weapon you deploy on a character has both an icon of strength+2 AND gametext that defines a condition where the bearer is strength + 2, does that mean they will strength + 4 when that condition is met? In other words, does the icon automatically apply as a supplement to the gametext or is the gametext defining when the icon applies?
  14. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Master

star 4
    T2Q- yes. The +2 bonus printed is an ongoing effect, while is the conditional effect is also added. This counts on cards like Vile Blad, Asfaloth and the like.

Ocelet X- are you known as Unknown Glyph on the Decipher LotR Gameplay board?
  15. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it'd be better to do the game in something like AIM then post the actions in a thread for 2 reasons.
    1.) If we post it we can easily keep track of what's going on if we have to have more than 1 session.
    2.) With using AIM and then posting it, it not only goes smoother and faster, but we still give out the examples to others that want to get started.
  16. Ocelot_X Jedi Knight

star 1
    >>>Ocelet X- are you known as Unknown Glyph on the Decipher LotR Gameplay board

No, did he ask a similar question?
  17. Castin_Lah Jedi Knight

star 2
    I would agree with A_J. I'm not going to play, but from playing real multiplayers games I know that I takes a LONG time, even longer over the boards.
  18. E_Greyshadow Jedi Knight

star 2
    We've done a multiplayer tournament here in Winnipeg, and we simply limited the turns to one hour per game. True, I don't think any of our games made it to site 9, but it was still a fun slug-fest. :)
  19. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Master

star 4
    Ocelot X- yeah he/ she asked a similar thing.

This is a bit of a strange request, but I have laminated the spoiler list and I am going top bind the pages (In a system that will let me add future expansions).

I'd love to have a cover page (possibly in color) but I need to find a good picture. What would be best is someting that represented the game. I have considered scanning a bunch of my favourite cards from each culture, but if I can get a good pic I'll use that. I'd love a link.

Thanx in advance.
  20. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I don't have a pic of it - but perhaps a shot from the movie of the various rings of power? I'm pretty sure there was a shot with all of them in it at once...and since one went to each race...
  21. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Master

star 4
    Great idea! I particularly like the shot of the Drawves holding up the rings. Hey, maybe a shot of seven hands, each holding a LotR:TCG card!
  22. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Master

star 4
  23. Ocelot_X Jedi Knight

star 1
    VERY nice! I was worried we'd just get a head shot of Elrond or something.
  24. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Master

star 4
    Realms of the Elf-Lords card list up.

Check out the Isengard orcs!
  25. Restrainingbolt Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow...those orcs seems a bit overpowered to me. Hopefully there will be a number of counter cards in the expansion as well.

Restrainingbolt
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.