main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT: Marathon, a CG short in ancient Greece

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Pixelito, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Marathon is the title of an animation I've begun production on. Here is a little sample of the greek armor i'm working on.

GREEK HOPLITE ARMOR, stage 1

2. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Sweet.

The only thing I can say is to add a bit of rust, but that's your call.

3. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    That is SWEET! More more more!

~DK~

4. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    oooh, smashing baby ya, quite shagadellic!

5. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    woah, very cool! I want more, i want more!

6. Darth_Apporth

Darth_Apporth Jedi Master star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    Good job! Now try doing Geek armour!

7. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    I added an animation of this armor rotating. you can see it at pixelito|animation. just enter the site and click the Marathon image, then click on the video link.

I also completely redesigned the pixelito site tonight, so tell me what you think of the new look!

8. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    The looks great! Sleek looking.

9. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    Hmm, the mesh is really cool, but I get the feeling you applied a single texture to the whole thing. Maybe take your time to design a detailed texture in Photoshop. I dunno if MAYA can export flat meshes for designing textures, but you don't normally see nice, smooth, shining armour in those days. Simply because, they didnt have the technology to craft metal that way yet.

The sites cool, pixelito, but theres a problem with the music, you have to trim a bit off the end so it loops seemlessly. I am experienced in this sort of things, if you send me the loop via email (in my BIO), I'll tweak it up for you ;)

Carl

EDIT: I would also suggest a little button to turn off the music at people's discretion. I know some people the get REALLY annoyed when theres any sort of sound on a website.

10. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    Carl: I'm not finished with this model, so I haven't started texturing it. That's the order I usually go in. Right now I've just applied a simple silver shader, so the color is uniform. As for the music: it is a seamless loop, but sounds embedded in webpages do not have an instant restart. There is a slight pause that cannot be removed, or at least I don't know the HTML source for it.

11. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    Not true. I had a website that looped a sound seemlesly with a regular wav embedded with Dreamweaver. You could also try using Flash, if you have it.

Carl

12. LordFrisian

LordFrisian Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002
    Very impressing, Pixelito!

13. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    I use Microsoft Notepad for my web-site building, so in my case it's impossible. I don't have Dreamweaver or Flash.

Also, can you help me with this everyone? I need to know if the audio controls show up (should be play and pause with windows media, and i think play and stop with quicktime). So, if you can't see the audio controls at the top of the page, tell me!

14. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Looks awesome Pixel, just curious if you will be going for historical accuracy or just "close enough"? I ask because the Breast Plate is a bit small. Typicaly they provided a bit of room within for the soldier who would be wearing padding and even leather underneath. As well (again i know its a WiP just have to comment) it should be seamed across the shoulders and down the sides with leather strap work and buckles to secure it. I look forward to seeing more, excellent work so far.

15. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    you're like the bazillionth person to mention the clasps on the side. yes, i know the cuirass is two pieces. yes, i'm going to seperate the front and back.
    :D :D :D

16. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    i split the cuirass in half, now to add buckles...

new animation of split cuirass at
    pixelito|animation

17. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I liked the site a lot pix, but could you please put 'the pawn' up. I would like to see something like that... and where did you get your inspiration for that from?

18. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    if someone can host it, i'd love to post it up. i can probably get it down to sub-20mb... i can't host it on tripod because of the bandwidth limit... if i transfer more than 10mb or so in 1 hour, my site is downed for 2 hours.

19. christmastom

christmastom Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2002
    Nice job on that Pixelito. I can't wait to see the whole thing!

20. Shawn PTH

Apr 22, 2000
    Looking good there pixel, is it the aspect of the lense or did you make the curias a bit larger as well?

21. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    the two clips aren't to the same scale, i just moved the camera closer, i think.

22. Shawn PTH

Apr 22, 2000
    Still seems wider to me, even though the camera is closer, the width of the chest vs the depth seems different, even though its split up.

23. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    OH...MY...GOD... I just modeled the hoplite's spatha, and then my power went out... I was very stupid, and I hadn't saved it once. I hate. So much. So much hate runs through my veins. So much...

24. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    you didn't save any of it or just that one part, anyways that sucks

25. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    so... anyway, tell me what you think of THIS UPDATE?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.