main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT, maybe- Getting Files From Ep. I Insider's Guide

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by adamargabright, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamargabright

adamargabright Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2002
    I've seen several sites with pictures supposedly taken from the Episode I Insider's Guide. Everytime I hit Print Screen, the program prints the pictures as well as all of the onscreen displays. Is there a way to take files such as the pictures and put them in a regular folder on the hard drive?

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Put your mouse pointer over the picture and right-click to bring up a small menu. Select 'Save picture as' from the choices and left-click. A panel allowing you to save the picture will come up.
    *Note* - I have AOL and it saves the pictures as its own format. I end up having to open the picture again, while still in AOL, and re-save so it is then viewable with
    picture viewers.

3. adamargabright

Dec 28, 2002
    Thanks, but I was talking about taking pictures from the Insider's Guide program itself- not the internet. :) Now that I've looked over my original post again, I see that I could have made my question a lot clearer. Is there any way to do what I'm talking about?

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not really familiar with the Guide, I am afraid . What I suggested works fine for internet pix though. Have you tried the same method on the Guide? (Or have you tried a Google Image search to see if the same pictures are online?)

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    have you tried using your file explorer (eg. "My Computer") to explore the CD? You'll probably find a bunch of JPGs you can just copy and paste.

Alternately get a screen grabber (Paint Shop Pro has a great one built in), grab the screen(s) and crop it down to size.

6. adamargabright

Dec 28, 2002
    I've tried browsing the CD and the directory on the hard drive, but there are no files I can open. There are two or three really big files on the CD with an odd extension, though. My guess is that these are archives that contain all of the images, sounds, etc. used by the program. I've tried openning them with WinZIP, but it won't open the file. Any suggestions? BTW, I'll try the screen grabber idea, but for some of the pictures I want, the pictures are partly covered by arrows, menu items, text, or whatever. I have a feeling that in the archive files, the pictures themselves are seperate from the menus or text.
    Thanks for your replies, guys. If anyone knows how to get the images (and hopefully sounds) from the CD, please let me know.

7. Theron

Theron Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2000
    turn you printer off, hit print screen and use a image program to paste too. Only problem is I use Photoshop to paste. I don't know if you have an image program or not, so I'm going to see if the regular paint programs that come with the computer will work.

8. adamargabright

Dec 28, 2002
    Thanks. I have Photoshop Elements. I'm pretty sure it will work with that. I've used it to edit screenshots of other programs. I just wish there was a way to open that archive. That way, not only could I get the pictures without the menus, but probably the sound and video clips as well.

9. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    You'll need a program that can capture DirectX windows, if I'm not mistaken 'printscreen' doesn't do that by default.

A good one is Hypersnap DX, but unfortunately it adds a samll 'copyright' window over your pick unless you buy a license for the program. There probably are totally free programs that do the same, but unfortunately I don't know them.

Now, there might be a way to extract files directly from the cd using Scumm Revisited.

I haven't done that method, so I don't know if it works. But the other does for sure.

10. adamargabright

Dec 28, 2002
    THANK YOU!!!

I'm still downloading Scumm Revisited, so I don't know for sure if it will work or not. It looks like it would. Even if it doesn't, I'm sure it will come in handy for something else :) so thanks for pointing me towards it.

As for capturing the images, I do (now) realise that just hitting print screen will not work. I have Hypersnap DX, but the logo at the bottom is driving me nuts.

I'll post back here to let everyone know if SCUMM works so if anyone els has my same question, they will know what to do. Thanks everyone!

11. adamargabright

Dec 28, 2002
    Well, unfortunately, it didn't work. :-(

12. Theron

Theron Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2000
    The printscreen is not working? It works for me everytime. There are some programs that will not work but the Insider Guide's work for me atleast.

This is exactly what I do... first I hit print screen on the picture I want, wait for it to do it's thing and then wait for the program to minimize and if it doesn't minimize, hit alt-tab. Now open your image program and select New from the Menu hit ok and ctrl-v to paste it. That's exactly what I do, it can even screen capture the videos. But if you tried doing this to say Jedi Knight II or Jedi Outcast it will not work. You'll get a black screenshot.

13. adamargabright

Dec 28, 2002
    You're right! I tried it and it worked. I posted my last post prematurely. I assumed that the Guide used Direct3D overlays like the games and that hitting printscreen would take a blank screenshot just like it does with games and DVDs. Thanks! I'm glad you re-posted the print screen method :)

Now I just wish I could figure out how to get the picture without the menus and text in front of it. :)

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    What're the extensions of the big files on the CD?

15. adamargabright

Dec 28, 2002
    The files are Bundle.000 and Bundle.001

16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I've been doing some websearching, and have seen the same question asked on several messageboards.

No-one could offer any solution, I'm afraid.

17. adamargabright

Dec 28, 2002
    OK. I'll keep looking myself. I'll keep checking back here, too incase someone thinks of something. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me with this. If I do find anything on how to do this, I'll post something on this board so that people with my same question can find it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.