main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT - New Logo

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by myself_me, Aug 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myself_me

myself_me Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2003
    So I was bored. I designed a logo for Myself Studios. I think it could have bin better, but well, here it is. Thoughts?

</T>

EDIT: Lookey, I repaired as you wished DecepitatedJango :)

2. Decapitated-Jango

Decapitated-Jango Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    Its okay for a start, but the cut text is just plain distracting IMO. Escpecially the "os" part. Some color would look nice too, along with some sort of texture.

^
    thoughts

3. Jeremy_West

Jeremy_West Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 16, 2003
    It looks nice, but it seems like more of a design for a clothing boutique than a production studio.

Still, it's better than anything I could do. My idea of a logo design is picking a cool font in Word.

4. Decapitated-Jango

May 18, 2002
    I'm assuming you have photshop, yes?

BTW- It looks considerbly better for a textbase

5. myself_me

Feb 16, 2003
    yep, I have photoshop.

6. Decapitated-Jango

May 18, 2002
    "I have Photoshop."
    "That's... good news."
    haha

Okay, I'll try to give you some ideas for spicing up your logo without making one for you ok?

Good.

You have a text base that you can build upon, but I would suggest a couple of ideas before you start building on effects and such, okay?

(assuming you might care) 8-}

first of all, I would integrate the bottom line more, it kinda appears to be a bit of an afterthought. You could redo the last "S" but you a bigger font size, and have the line extended from it, or you just lenghten it considerably. I would also make the dot in the last "S" bigger if you really want it there. Also, you might want to bring down the dot of the "i" in studios. Whenever you are completely sure that you are happy with your textbase, we will go onto the next step, ok?

-for sheets and giggles, just post new revisions, but don't replace them if you have enough space so people can observe your logo's progression, ok?-

Ok, so you have your text base. Make sure you make at least two back-ups, and build upon one. Thats important. Ok, the next step is making sure that your textbase is isolated. Assuming that you've made the easy and common mistake of having the white bg flattened with your textbase, you will need to magic wand the white areas using a high tolerance level and delete it. Make a new layer that is whaite and put it under the textbase layer. Now you can work with the textbase exclusively and flatten later or make the bg a different color.

If none of this makes sense, tell me.

Now we can finally get creative!

"And there was much rejoicing!" "Yay!"

select your isolated textbase and duplicate it.
    The key to a great logo is layering. Always keep an original textbase layer, ok? Take the bottom-most textbase layer and apply a light gaussian blur to soften the edges. Go very light tho, we aren't going for a Ryan W glow here. Unless thats what you're going for. Duplicate the orig. again and apply a blur you like, say another gaussian but bigger, but you fiddle with its color ballance. You could have a directional horizontal blur, you can select all the black areas and apply a cloud filter and blur that for some interesting texture, use texturize, or light it, or even use some gradients. Make sure to make a new layer whenever you eperiment so you can change its opacity and transfer mode selectively, or just delete it if you dont like it.

I hope you get the idea. Maybe you just might want to mail me your textbase and I'll give you some example with all layers there so you can tweak em or whatever, or describe what feeling you go for. But I would suggest trying to complete it from initial design to end result.

Have fun!

7. myself_me

Feb 16, 2003
    I am not a very creative person.
    Mojo

8. MacGyver635

MacGyver635 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2002
    I say drop the "Ltd." and make that underline not so distracting.... Maybe put it under the text.

-Mac

9. Decapitated-Jango

May 18, 2002
    myself, anyone on this board is creative, guaranteed. You have to admit, it looks a billion times better than the first pass, no? tone down the ltd. or take it out. Overall, nice job. Just don't get discouraged because its a great start.

Hope I helped.

10. Decapitated-Jango

May 18, 2002
    -You're welcome.

11. myself_me

Feb 16, 2003
    Let me correct this.

myself, anyone on this board is creative, guaranteed. You have to admit, it looks a billion times better than the first pass, no? tone down the ltd. or take it out. Overall, nice job. Just don't get discouraged because its a great start.

Hope I helped.

Thanks!

- You are Welcome

:D
    I'm workin on it, but I just gave myself a brake....

12. Jedikes1138

Jedikes1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2003
    Very good, Maiself-Mei. Your skills have something to show for!

13. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2000
    I think you should shave off the tail on the M and let it blend into the S instead. Otherwise it looks good.

EDIT: also on the revised version, seperate the LTD. and the rest of the text and make the rest of the text sharper. like if you look at the LTD. and everythign else u can tell it has the same settings b/c the text is differing in size and it makes the LTD. look sharp but its not high enough to conpensate on the big text to make it look sharp... if that makes any sense at all..

EDIT 2: this is what i would have done with it:

[image=http://www.triumviratefilms.net/logo2.jpg]

pic

14. Decapitated-Jango

May 18, 2002
    "You're Welcome" thing was just poking fun- but seriously, its a good start. Later, if you decide to make a new one, you'll go into knowing what you want. Good luck. If any of you interested have any space, I'd show you what've I've made in the past, but if not that's cool too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.