main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars OT: New "Star Trek" movie costume questions

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Schph_Gochi, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Where I have never been much of a Star Trek fan...
    and didn't really like any of the ST movies...
    I saw the trailer for the new Star Trek movie coming out in May...

it looks AWESOME...and has a Star Wars feel to it.

I would like to make one of the basic crewman's costumes from the new movie...

where it appears that the new costumes are pretty much based on the original series uniforms there are subtle differences.

Does anyone out there know of a site/forum that has discussions on Star Trek costuming?

I looked at a few sites..and...well...was not impressed..
    maybe I am searching wrong...

also...
    a site with some nice screen captures and stills from the new movie would be great...

Any Trekkies out there?

2. Skull_of_the_Rancor

Skull_of_the_Rancor Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2008
    Dude, you have obviously not been a Star Wars fan for long, so I'll set you straight before anyone else lets you have it. You NEVER mention Star Trek here or anywhere around Star Wars fans. Trekkies are the enemy. They are the worst species of nerd to ever crawl the planet. Would you walk into a Star Wars convention and yell, "Hey! Any trekkies in here?" I hope not. Everything I just said is playful in nature of course. We don't really hate 'em (well some do) it's just fun to have them as enemies. But seriously, you wont find any trekkies in here. If you do, I'll be shocked.

3. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I'm a trekkie and I'm here. It's not a sin to like Star Wars and Star Trek. Oh no I like Firefly too!

Trek Movie

This might help you. I'm not sure.

4. Ranil-Starwing

Ranil-Starwing Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2007
    Hm... I normally don't post in this section of the forums, but browsing through I was mildly shocked at the assumption that there are no Trekkies here! Shocked!

I'm almost as obsessed with Star Trek as I am with Star Wars (almost, though not quite). And if anyone is going to hold that against me (the word "traitor" comes to mind), well, that's their issue. Nothing wrong with liking both!

5. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Ohhhhhh, you are sooooooooooooooooo wrong about that!! Peek under the surface of many a Star Wars fan, especially those who saw the OT in the theaters, and you'll find a Starfleet uniform. I've made 10 of them over the decades (and I'll say that I still fit nicely in my science blue Starfleet mini-skirt).

I did see a very funny fan film about SW vs ST fan competition, but that was just for fun.

About the uniforms for the upcoming film, I'm afraid I don't have a clue. My plan is to wait for other costumers to make the first mistakes and built from that. And I'm in total 'Spoiler-Avoidance' for the upcoming movie. Haven't seen the preview; don't want to see a thing until a plunk down my money for the real film. I want maximum surprise and enjoyment for this one. ;)

The original series tech manual had patterns for the uniforms, but I'd be cautious of the differences between series and movie.

6. abodeofthedamned

abodeofthedamned Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2004
    I'm a Klingon who loves Star Wars. Nuff said.;) I'm looking at building a Light Batleth sometime in the next couple of years.

7. Jedi-Siri

Jedi-Siri Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2004

Sorry to tell you this, but there is no war between SW fans and ST fans. I love Star Wars AND Star Trek! And I will be dressing up to go see the new movie.

8. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    lol...
    I never subscribe to the theory about the "war" between the two...
    we all have preferences ...to be sure...

but..
    it's all good...
    I am just looking at Star Trek with "new eyes"...

I started to look around...
    found "canon" fabric for like $45.00 a yard for the red "Engineering" and then stopped...and slapped myself...
    where I still want to make the costume..
    it will not be an over the top and uber canon affair...
    I have like 10 SW costumes that I have spent years on...
    I spent over a year in research on the Hoth Trooper alone....
    I just don't want to make that kind of a commitment to a costume I will likely wear only a couple of times...

But...boy...
    when you look at the Star Trek TOS costumes....they are so much simpler than say my Endor Commando or Hoth Trooper...
    no funny headgear...
    no dozen greeblies...

heck...
    I found that there isn't even a holster for the phaser...it is just attached to a velcro strip on the pants....lol...ya gotta love that...

I even found some inexpensive red cotton velour for the Engineering shirt...

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=WW691

it might work...
    I also ordered a pattern for the shirt...

9. Skull_of_the_Rancor

Skull_of_the_Rancor Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2008
    Okay, okay. You all got me. Ouch. Apparently you didn't read the line where I said that "this is all playful in nature". I never said you can't like both, I simply stated that the two don't mix. They contradict each other. Star Trek is cool and the movie is gonna rock, I want to see it. If you can't take a joke without getting sand in your panties, then you're just sad. Aaaaanyhoo, I'm sure that there are trekkies here, and that's awesome, but if any of you are Magic the Gathering players, I'm leaving. No wait... I'm staying, YOU leave.

10. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I'm sorry, but this isn't a case of people not being able to take a joke. It's a case of you just being abrasive. If you want to say something like that, then make it a PM to the person who posted the topic and not something for the entire board. We are a diverse group who likes many things.

11. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    lol....yes...we don't want to send this thread down the toilet as well...

:D

12. Smiling-Otter

Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2001
    The RPF has a thread going about the uniform tunics: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=51617

The main problem will be that the material is composed of a pattern of tiny Enterprise-style arrowheads. (See page 2 of the above topic.) Granted, you'd have to get pretty close before you'd see it, but those going for ultra-accuracy are going to have a time of it.

Slightly aside, IMO Vulcans would make great Jedi. Fear, anger, and hatred shouldn't be much of an issue, so falling to the Dark Side wouldn't be much of a danger.

13. LAN-ED-TUL

LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    im a trekkie and a star wars nut. i got Trek stuff, and i costume as a jedi, Darth Vader, and a stormtrooper. myself, i just like Sci-Fi, i dont care what it is, if its good, then i like it.

14. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002

15. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    thanks for the heads up on the RPF...

I will keep an eye on that

16. MasterCenedra

MasterCenedra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    I must say, the though I am not a HUGE fan of Trek, I love it for the fact that it brought me into Starwars...as I am a Second Gennie Starwars Fan...(my mother loved Trek and made me watch reruns, and I made her buy me the 1997 Digital remastered Starwars VHS)

I am looking forward to the new Trek Film in May (yes, New Zealand gets it early! LOL) I have seen some of the props they are/have used and they are sweet. (apart from Bones' Tricorder, you could re-sale that as a Salt and Pepper Shaker...LOL)

MC

17. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    thanks again for the RPF info...

I tried many times in the past to join the RPF....but everytime I tried, the group was not taking any new members...
    I must have been in the right place at the right time as I was finally able to join..
    I consider the folks at the RPF to be some of the best..

they already have a bunch of great information up there...

18. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Yeah, except when they get that seven-year itch. There's no telling what would happen then. [face_mischief]

EDIT: I broke my spoiler-avoidance vow enough to look at the pics. Oh geeez, that tunic-top fabric looks specially made. Cross your fingers that they come out with a licensed line of fabric. Or that there are at least some flunkies in the background who have uniforms made out of plain fabric.

Every incarnation of Trek seems to bring harder and harder costume challenges.

19. Darthvadernut73

Darthvadernut73 Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2008

Hi Schph Gochi...DArthVadernut73 aka ShortTrooper (Diana) on the MWG..... who is also a TRekkie.....:D

What pattern did you get for your Trek Uniform? I might know where you can get a Engineering badge for it and the braid for the sleeves.

I have a TOS pattern that I got for my uniform a long time ago.... or are you making the newer one from the new movie????

DArthVadernut73

20. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Heh, I'm planning to get a ST Uniform done too for the movie release tho' am aiming for either the Dress Uniform or from Voyager. Am not really a fan of the OS, mostly fan of TNG onwards.

Guess after May, whenever I join the local ST Fan Group for their Costumed Activities (assuming I dun have SW/501st "Duties" of course that day :p ), I will not need to borrow from one of them anymore (which sadly of course ill fit me :oops: as not made for my body shape).

Ya, you are dumb to say you can't be a fan of both (or all) worlds. [face_talk_hand]

21. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    I got a pattern like this one awhile back...don't know if it is any good...(I refuse to start working on it till I have finished the Hoth backpack, Hoth Tech/Hangar Trooper jumpsuit and a couple more of the R2 projects)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Trek-Classic-Mens-Shirt-Uniform-Costume-Pattern_W0QQitemZ380068600258QQihZ025QQcategoryZ37882QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

but...when I do get to it...I do want to do an Engineering costume...

22. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    I don't know if you are still needing any help with patterns and such, I didn't read through the whole thread because I am lazy like that. But I was at a convention back in Novemeber where there were quite a few ST costumers. I did get some contact info for these costumer groups. I don't know if you need it or not, but here it is.

www.sfi.org (The main web site for STARFLEET, this is where you can
    check out Starfleet Academy, sign up for STARFLEET, etc.)

I hope this provides you with some help. I haven't been too active here on TFN, since I caught the Mando bug and have been spending all of my time over at the Mando Mercs site.

- Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.