main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT: new way to search, should get rid of annoying topics :)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by djr33, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    ok. since i (along with many others) have gotten really tired of the search feature, i decided to try to find a better way. it turns out that google really is my friend :)

here is what you do:
    goto google.com
    type: "site:boards.theforce.net" and whatever you may want to search for, (such as "lightsabers")... or just click this link and add what you would like to search for to the text box... http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=site%3Aboards%2Etheforce%2Enet
    search, look a little and you should find what you want :)

i really hope this helps everyone :) and helps us avoid unnessessary topics that have already been answered.
    (if this is too OT, then i will lock, or mods, feel free to also, but i think this is helpful :))

2. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    That's actually the old way to search, before the search feature was implemented.
    Not sure if we used google though, I think it was the same method, only another search engine...

Anyway, good idea to bring that up. The board's own search engine isn't as accurate as this, in general.

3. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    ya, i figured that if it wasnt something that everyone thought of, it could help :) also, this isnt just using google, its searching THIS site, not all the web :)

4. Jedikes1138

Jedikes1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2003
    Woohoo!

5. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    What's wrong with the current search feature?

6. Various

Various Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    I tried using it to find part of a thread I remembered from over a year ago with no luck. From my experience, the board's search function only searches topics that haven't been closed.

I did find what I was looking for when I discovered that you could view every post you ever made through your profile.

7. Jedikes1138

Jedikes1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2003
    It comes up with a whole bunch of unnecessary topics like if you put the word "in" inside the search bar, things will come up sometimes as "Anakin" or "think". Kind of annoying and irrevelant.

8. GeneralSkywalker

GeneralSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2002
    Not being in a place to complain since my site doesn't even have one, but I agree, the search is pretty weak.

-GS

9. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    also, its incredibly slow and only displays a very small amount of results (what is it? 15?)

with google, it will always come up with what you want (i think) assuming that what you search for is actually in the thread you want. that way, it will just be up to the user to find specific terms to search for... and its FAST!

10. ThePaladin

ThePaladin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2004
    The current search feature is.... icky. I don't know why, maybe durbnpoisn could explain the difference, but most of the time, I have to remember the thread name, and then search through thread manually for what I want. It's a pain.

11. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    lol... i am thinking about the times that i have 2 windows open and then start a search in one and while that is happening, look in the other window. i usually find the thread first by looking and then the results dont even include the thread i wanted [face_plain]
    /rant

12. Jamball

Jamball Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Does anyone know if the board search allows boolean opperators?

--Jamball

13. bad_karma24

bad_karma24 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2003
    So I'm not the only one who's not happy with the current search feature? :p

14. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    you ARE ;)

15. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    maybe durbnpoisn could explain the difference

Actually, I have more than a few thoeries. But I won't bore anyone with that...

Suffice to say the TFN search does not work at all. I've tried searching for a single word and gotten 0 results.

I've resorted to searching for threads by finding users that I know posted in them, and searching thier list.

I like this Google idea... I've used it, and it's a good idea. Only, remember that Google is routinely 2 months behind. So results may not be current.

In fairness, I decided to go back and try it again.
    EDIT: Ah crap... The markup failed. Go to the search and type in "disaster at naboo". Watch the result set you get.

That's what's wrong with the search feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.