main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT OT only fans - Thoughts on Rogue One, and will you add it to the collection?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Avnar, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I hope they visit the OT timeline again. The Battle of Jakku was 1 year after the end of Jedi was it not?? Imagine a Luke film (Sebastian Stan with a beard to cover his face - although he already looks like a younger Hamill) set with this as the climax! Han and Leia wouldn't need to be in it since they had a new born at the time :cool:

Snax Rebo likes this.
  2. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    I'd be happy even with an animated movie taking place directly following ROTJ. I just want to see the trio together again, no matter the format.

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  3. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Whilst I avoided spoiler for Rogue One, I did manage to come across a reference to a twist/ending prior to watching the film and I thought that it might well be Luke or Obi-Wan being shown watching the battle overhead through binoculars from the surface of Tattooine. I'd agree that Evezian and Ponda were a bit gratuitous, but they didn't trouble me too much. However, I didn't think Evezian's deformed nose quite matched with his appearance in ANH, though. It's a minor point.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Somebody probably punched Dr Ev's nose on his way from Jedha to Tatooine. He seems like a guy who gets punched a lot.

5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Feels like a well made, but ultimately totally necessary and inconsequential fan film. How Leia got the Death Star plans just isn't something I've spent time wondering about. You could telepgraph the ending from the beginning. Literally the only character I cared about was the robot, who was the most human, and best written, of them all.

For me TFA went far further in capturing the "spirit" and look of the OT, while setting up ground work for a new direction. It felt like a real episode, in the tradition of Star Wars, vs just some glossy side quest. Literally the only contribution to the greater SW plot that it offers is to tell you why the Death Star had such an obviously vulnerable weakness.

Big deal.

I did appreciate them painting the rebellion with more morally ambitious lines, and managing to make Vader menacing to me (heavy fan service as it was), something I never felt that strongly even watching the OT as a kid.

Ultimately no, likely won't be adding this to my collection. I've only seen it once, and the only desire I have to watch again is to hopefully see in it what many of you do.
    I'll go one step further and say it's an advertisement for our nostalgia addled, distorted, rear view idea of what ANH was.

I feel like the people saying it blends seamlessly into ANH really aren't seeing ANH clearly.

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    jaqen, I'd recommend giving it another chance. I wasn't blown away by it the first time I saw it, but I've gone back twice, and as I get to know the characters better, I get more engaged with their stories and I feel their deaths more keenly. For me, R1 is a film that improves significantly with multiple viewings.

Avnar likes this.
  7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I definitely promised myself that, at some point, I'd try it again.

Sarge likes this.
  8. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    RO feels more of a piece to me than anything else post-TESB, even ROTJ. Like classic Star Wars with a bit of EU adaption fun. I prefer the feel of TFA, but was really taken by the aesthetic of RO. The latter is more narrow in appeal, but cool as far as supplementary material goes.

In any case, I'll definitely add it to my collection. As long as they aren't selling the OT in its original form, my enthusiasm for picking up new Star Wars movies will be happily directed at the new films. It's nice to have something to look forward to.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Bithlistener

Bithlistener Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2016
    Yes, Rogue One is a must for me to own.

10. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i probably won't buy it no, because so many things hit tv fast now , whether on starz or whatever. i've got TFA saved on my dvr from starz.
    i liked it, but it had a different feel from the other star wars movies.

11. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Maybe.

On the one hand, I've been disappointed by TFA and R1 so far in how they rely so heavily on nostalgia. But TFA has already been added to my collection and R1 may too. I don't know.

TFA was a film I enjoyed immensely upon release, but my opinion of it quickly drops on subsequent viewings.

With R1, none of the characters were particularly memorable outside of the droid, imo. And really until Scarif, I wasn't really into it. And while the subsequent action sequences were some of the best in the saga, it's not enough to keep me entertained on repeat viewings.

It's not a terrible film, but it's down there with TPM as one of my least favorites.

If I get it, it will be for the sake of being a completionist.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jaqen likes this.
  12. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I loved it. I'll definitely be getting it when it comes out on blu ray. Personally I thought it blew TFA out of the water. This was the Star Wars movie I've been wanting to see since 1983.

Avnar likes this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

I've wanted to see it since 1976.

Avnar and MrMojoRisin like this.
  14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    It did two things for me. It had its own identity with a bunch of new characters, ala Rebels, but still had strong Classic Trilogy influences. It slips into A New Hope pretty seamlessly for me. I'm glad they spent the money on the Tarkin CGI, had Vader cameos and featured Bail and Mon Mothma. What makes Rogue One so good for me though, is how it improved the exhaust port issue by making it a deliberate design flaw. Genius.