main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga OT or PT?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Garrett Atkins, May 23, 2013.

?

Trilogy you like better?

Poll closed Nov 23, 2013.
  1. OT

78 vote(s)
    61.4%
  2. PT

49 vote(s)
    38.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    It is funny because

a) the sample size is so small
    b) this forum is probably biased

The numbers here don't tell us much.

2. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Consider this: Does Luke as frog-creature really change the film or your view on it?

And? Does that invalidate the votes?

What?! I don't see the connection between preferences and bias and I especially don't see the relevance of "bias" considering the thread's question.
    You're abviously biased concerning the forums, however.

Of course the numbers tells us something, they tell us the preferences of the users on this forums in this very thread and therefore answer the question ("to find out what people prefer on these forums").
    If you're looking for "the truth" (the thread doesn't and I wouldn't advise you to do so), you certainly won't find it anywhere on the internet.

3. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Nope. It only tells us we can't draw any conclusions from this.

I know a couple Star Wars forums and this seems to be the one with the largest percentage of PT fans. Does this observation make me biased? I don't give a hoot.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  4. classified

classified Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Yes. Of course it would... I don't even know why you brought this up. No film maker in the right mind would expect the audience to emotionally connect with a character like that. Even the fans of Jar Jar Binks wouldn't go so far as to say that they would enjoy the OT as much if he had the starring role.

Side note: In an animated film (like in nearly all pixar films) it is easy to make a non-human principal character connect with the audience; you do this by making the world they live in a caricature, and by highlighting the characters' human features as much as possible (behaviour, speech, eyes and mouth etc). This just isn't (at least, in 1997, wouldn't have been) possible in a live action movie, with a 'realistic' setting, when half the cast are human actors and your principal is a puppet.

Han Burgundy likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    IIRC this is the largest Star Wars fan site on the Internet since the OS boards shut down. I agree that you're not going to find truth in numbers anywhere online as I'm not sure a poll has been done of all Star Wars fans everywhere, casual and hard-core like us. That's why I'll always argue with claims beginning with "most people," "fans in general," or "the audience", because no one really knows.

I do think that the size of this site means that poll numbers here will be as accurate a representation as we'll find of hard-core fans though, for whatever that is worth.

6. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    And I think that's a huge assumption to make. 38 voters on a Star Wars board of many can never be representative of all Star Wars fans.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    22 votes, no, but if we got the entire site to vote, it would be somewhat of a decent representation of hard-core Star Wars fans (not all fans).

8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Harcore fans don't always post on forums. Not all hardcore fans like this forum. So no, not at all representative.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Is there any type of polling that would be truly representative? I kind of doubt it.

10. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Polling is dirty democracy.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darth Dnej like this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Regarding Star Wars? Nope.

12. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's absolutely beautiful to see that, even with so many votes so far, the poll is at 50:50 as of this post. Balance has been brought to the Force. Some faith in humanity restored

13. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm still waiting for the relevance since the OP asked for preferences on this forum.

That doesn't answer my question.

That's just my point.
    It wouldn't change anything about the film, about it's message, it's story and the nature of its characters. Luke just wouldn't be human, he would be "different" and that would obviously lead some people to a lesser enjoyement of the film (that is basically the same).
    So, and that's my point, the thing that would chance is your view on the film and not the film itself.

Because I thought it would be interesting to think about that.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Why is that even relevant? I commented on Darth_Nubs post how it was "appropriate" that both OT and PT got 50% votes. Personally I don't give a damn how popular the OT or PT is on this board. It is of no interest to me.

15. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    I voted OT. That isn't to say that I dislike the PT, there is much that I enjoy. Some of the visuals are stunning; I love the convergence toward Guinness' Obi-Wan as performed by Ewan McGregor, and some of the scenes in ROTS are among my favoutrites of the entire 'saga'. Somebody mentioned John Williams' score and...in that case I would say that ROTS is my favourite in that regard - there is such a range of emotionally charged pieces, all very, very different. Just glorious.

My only problem, having been inculcated in the OT is that there is much introduced in the PT that jars with my tale on the OT. If I see it as a saga then I must 'pretend' some of the PT out of existence. Just my own personal take. Don't take this as an order to see it my way :p

16. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Then why are you still here, raining on everyone's parade?

17. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    If a truly scientific poll were done by an organization like Gallup, I would trust that.

18. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Personally, I like the OT...the Phantom Menace was a step in the right direction for the PT being just as good, but the killing off of Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul took away from a greater purpose that they could have served as in the future installments. Also, I'm not that big of a fan of depressing movies or storylines for that matter, and in my opinion, after watching Revenge of the Sith again recently I looked at it as being just as sad as what has happened in the EU. Also, I really miss people dressing the parts of Ewoks, wookies and such as that's what fans do at comic-con...but the PT was pretty much all CGI. Even the models of spaceships in the OT used to be just that, models...whereas the PT was again CGI...

19. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    OT. Original Trilogy, the Classic, the One and Only. For me, that is.

20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Was I? I only remember pointing out that this thread seems rather pointless and then being engaged into discussion by various people.

21. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The Saga. To choose one over the other would be to leave an equally important half of the story behind.

22. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I'm pretty sure the PT used just as much modeling as the original movies. You are correct when you say the PT used more CG, but you'd probably be surprised how much costumes and modeling that the crew did, including the use of miniature sets.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  23. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    :cool: Thank-you for the new insight, as it's always cool to learn more about Star Wars....

The reason I thought that all of the PT was CGI and not costumes and models was because I think that Jar Jar, the spaceships (especially in Revenge of the Sith), the wookies, the other Gungans, etc. were all CGI...and that's like 90% of the movie(s) right there...

Also, I think that George Lucas filmed in location for Tatooine in the OT, whereas in the Attack of the Clones (where they chase Zam Wessel) that was all CGI, and in...ummm...Phantom Menace all of the underwater scenes were also CGI...

This is what I'd heard anyway, but don't know for sure... [face_dunno]

24. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I have heard this statement before and it is very misleading, simply because the OT only used a few environments for all 3 movies, and most of the real envrionments and sets are from TPM, whereas AOTC and ROTS are mostly CGI. If you watch most of the behind the scenes material for the PT (documentaries, pictures, etc.) AOTC and ROTS are almost all green screen, as I rarely saw a real shot in a real environment, whereas TPM has many real shots without green screen.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  25. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    The sets usually have green/blue screen because models will be added as background. They built quite a few CG models, yes, but it's still easier and more cost-efficient for them to do it physically, so that's what they tend to do most of the time.
    In the end, what matters is the end result and IMO, most, if not all, of it looks amazing.

- The Force is with us, Master Sidious.
    - The Force is with you, young Skywalker... but you are not a Jedi yet.

/LM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.