OT: Perseid Meteor Shower - Aug 12th

Discussion in 'Rochester, NY' started by Doc_Bev, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The Perseid meteor show is supposed to be really spectacular this year.
    http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2007/11jul_greatperseids.htm?list892953

The "show" starts between 10pm-11pm on Sunday Aug 12th and continues until dawn on the 13th.
    Rates could exceed one meteor a minute towards the end.

I was surprised not to find a thing about this on www.rochesterastronomy.org

~Doc_Bev
  2. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Force Ghost

star 4
    Cool!!!!!!!! Too bad I have to work early in the morning. Not as early as I used to. Got rid of the stupid Target job. I got sick of it. Got to find another secound job though. DOH!!!!! Any way. That would be cool to see. I have never seen any. My mom told me a story once about when she was a kid she saw a lot of them and it totally freaked her out. She did not know what they were and she was scarred. I wonder where the best place to see them would be.
  3. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The best place is some place dark. [face_Cool]
    I've been able to see some from my back yard since our tract doesn't have street lights.

Usually a park would be the best place, but many of those close at dusk.
    Although the Astronomy club usually has a special night event for stuff like this at parks, but as I said I haven't seen a listing...

Any place you can think to go that would be away from light pollution would work best. For us considering the lateness we tend to stick at home with the kids. Some year I'd love to get down to Ionia again. I went there for one of my Astronomy tests and you can see everything - or so it seems. It was the one and only time I've seen the Milky Way.

~Doc_Bev
  4. DarSolo Force Ghost

star 3
    Many years ago, my friend, Amy who lives in West Henrietta and I just drove until we found a nice dark spot (some corn field in Avon) and watched a spectacular show of meteors, satellites, planets, and constellations with a bunch of other carloads of people with the same idea. However, our show was cut short (sometime in the wee hours of the morning)when one of the "meteors" changed course abruptly and came straight at us. I had never seen so many people jump into their cars and speed off so fast due to a speck of light. [face_laugh]
  5. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, it looks like it's supposed to clear around 1am so there still might be a chance to see some meteors.
    I'm just not sure that I want to stay up that late or get up before dawn to see them. :p

~Doc_Bev
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.