main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT-Pumpkin Composite

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Macho, Nov 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    I have been working on this composite over at DVgarage. Its no where near photoreal that i want but hey i'm getting there. The model is horrible. I used EIA and AE for this. The top picture is the final comp. and the bottom is a screen shot of if EI and the pumpkin that is fresh from EI with no changes added

Pumpkin Composite

Any comments good or bad would be great

2. MacGyver635

MacGyver635 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2002
    Dude, that is awesome. I can barely, barely tell its fake. Keep up the good work.

-MacGyver

3. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    It looks like a real photo, but the camera you used sucks and the pumpkin is one of those ceramic ones. If that isn't supposed to be a real pumpkin but a ceramic one good job, I probobly wouldn't be able to tell the difference :)

4. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    The camera he used may have sucked, but the picture looks like it contains a pumpkin. The pumkin doesn't look real, but it does look like it is really there.

A successful composite, nice one.

Pete

5. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    Very nice composite. If you were going for a real pumpkin, the only thing making it seem like a pot is the big shiny reflection (Might be a specular highlight). Either way, dump the reflection to zero, and turn down the spcularity and spread it out so its very soft, (low gloss). That will make the pumpkin itself look more real.

Nice work!

-tm

6. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    The pumpkin is composited well but the pumpkin itself is too glossy.

7. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    thanks all! Yah i have a pretty bad still camera right now, hopefully i'll get a better one sometime. I got really attached to that spec highlight for some reason and left it in, it didn't look right with it gone.

8. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    That is a great composite. I actually had to come back and reread your post to make sure that that was actually the composited picture.

Rick McCallum loves you!

9. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Oh, the camera you used was purposefully bad? I thought you were taking out colour saturation and adding grain to make the pumpkin fit in better.

10. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    no, my camera that i took the background plate with is a terrible camera, its the one built into my video camera...thanks adam!

11. Lone_Padawan

Lone_Padawan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    Brilliant macho

12. althegreat

althegreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    the spill-over light on the side of the pumpkin looks a bit artificial while the light coming in from the window is natural, so it looks a bit out of place. that is all. :D

13. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    just to let you guys know, i updated that page with the WIP images

14. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    WD, I don't think his camera sucks at all. IMO, he added the film grain to make it look like it was part of the picture. Film grain/noise is a typical technique used so CG elements don't look so fake. Just think for a second too, if the grain was from the original pic, how would he make the grain go on top as well?

Hmm, now I've seen the original pic and that has grain too... dang! But I guess you did add grain on top of the pumpkin too, right Macho?

Carl

15. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    yes i did, i added it just over the pumpkin

16. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    Ah, nice, nice going, Macho! Well anyhow, I have to agree with the others about it looking ceramic. The problem here is that the specularity is a bit to high and too uniform. Try giving it a speckleish specularity map, or create a grayscale bitmap that imitates a pumpking surface, bumpy and rugged. Also use it for the bump map, that should get rid of the fake looking gloss ;)

Carl

17. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    thanks carl! i'm done with this comp. because i can't really improve it too much. I'm pretty happy with it for having no pre-production, i just turned around in my chair and snapped a picture. next time, i'm going to map out the lighting and take hundreds of pictures of my model, and take pictures with the object in the scene. Eh, it was supposed to be ceramic ;) :p j/k

P.S. could you guys call me Andrew instead of macho? thanks, and any other crits from espically from pixel would be great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.