main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT - The Last Patrol Trailer

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by The Jedi Apprentice, Apr 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    First off, thanks for all the nice comments. Really means a lot to me.

What actual WW2 battle is it based around?

It's not based on any battle in particular. It is completely ficitious in terms of history, but it's plausible, it could've happened. It takes place between a few weeks and a month after the D-Day Invasion.

Where did you get your weapons, it was hard to tell, but was that a Springfield .03 that one of the characters has?

Yes! It's a replica of a 1903 Springfield.

You're "German" officer looks a little...too hollywood. An officer in the field would be wearing his field gear, unless of course you're assaulting an HQ position.

That's true he would be wearing field gear, like our other germans. But right before we started shooting, one of our extras came in dressed in the dress uniform, and we just said...damn that's too cool not to use. But yeah, we realize a dress uniform would likely never be worn on a patrol. It was just one of those give-or-take sort of situtations.

The actors seem a bit to "clean." If there was a war going on, i doubt they would have ample time to comb their hair, cleanly shave, and take a shower. their costumes also seem rather well pressed.

Make-up was definitely something we didn't do. We just threw some dirt on the actors and shot. I don't think anybody's hair was combed, but it's true that their faces were a bit clean for being out on a patrol, just a few weeks after D-Day. The costumes are old, bought right off the rack, they might've looked pressed, but they most definitely weren't.

Regarding the rifles, Parris toy clicker rifles, by the look and heft of them

This is true for two of the rifles in the trailer, Parris made. One of 'em is an actual 1903 Springfield replica.

Anyhow, again, thanks for the comments! It is really appreciated! It was a hard task to even attempt a film like this, and I knew we wouldn't be able to get everything right, but I'm glad you like it thus far.

2. The Jedi Apprentice

Nov 29, 1999
    bumping this for 'Shadow_of_Evil'

3. The Jedi Apprentice

Nov 29, 1999
    Someone on another message board asked for a small clip from the actual film. So I took a little snipet that's already been edited and threw something together. Just thought you guys here might want to see also. I can't vouch for the acting, it isn't that good, heh. They did their best, so I'm happy at least.

On2 Codec needed. 12MB Quicktime. 1:30 seconds

http://www.bryanharley.com/orders.mov

ps. there's also one slight mess up on my part, you'll probably notice.

4. The Jedi Apprentice

Nov 29, 1999
    changed clip to Sorenson 3, still same size.

5. flyingseal

flyingseal Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    [image=http://www.sportg.com/brian/pics/goodjob.jpg]

6. ObiMcD

ObiMcD Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    That's tight, how much did the whole film cost? How much were the guns? I really want to make a WWII film, but alas lack the funds to do so at this point.

7. Jedi_Master_dude

Jedi_Master_dude Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 2001
    Sweet! Put out more put out more!

8. DragonScythe

DragonScythe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2001
    Although I don't blame you for this here is my constructive criticism...THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS MUZZLE FLASHES IN A REAL LIFE COMBAT SITUATION!!!

Muzzle flashes are the result of the amount of powder behind the paper in a blank. Its to disolve the paper so tht all you have is nothing in the barrel and nothing comes out. However you could have muzzle flashes in a pistol but only with a P+ +P+ powder behind it (thats more powder than normal, which gives it slightly more umph than normal; It degrades the barrel and nobody uses it) Also, be sure that after every shot everyone...everyone recocks the springfield (anyways they should all be using M1 Garands by now only snipers were using springfields) Also, the "point man" should also be using a Tompson sub-machine gun (rectangular magazine; United States military believed that the barrel magazine was too much like the gangster guns back home and later opted for the "Grease Gun") However, depending on the date and time of your movie it is forseable that the point man could also be using a "Grease gun."

Also, German tactics made sure for a few things: (although i didn't see you have any problems with this, I want you to know that this could be a problem later) Germans never wore lugers. Only Commanders did because it was a badge of rank. SS and Gastapo were also allowed lugers (was that one guy SS? I wasn't sure you might want to work on that) As well use some of the emblems of the actual Nazi regime such as the odd cross, the grey shirt and the black shirt, as well as a few other german weapon. If this is late in the war (which it can't be because Nazi Germany was reduced to Berlin by the time this event i'm about to speak of happened) About 1/6 of the nazi soldiers should have a "stermgavare" or assault rifle...It was the prized possession of any soldier. As well introduce certain features of the nazi army such as (sorry don't know the real name of it) "the-scariest-sound-you-ever-heard" machine gun (another late in the war development) in which it was next to impossible to tell between different bullets being fired. It was that fast! As well tactics against this machine gun resulted in multiple casualties. This was because war documentaries shown to new recruits on the US side said that this machine gun only had sound as its main effectiveness and said that it had little accuracy.

I know that this seems to be a lot to say but in my free time I watch the history channel...I'm just a little too bored. Sorry if I offend anyone but I only want to make sure that you do better than many other films of this genre that i've seen.

Your local History Buff,
    Chris

(Also, if you ever have a scene in which there is a german riding a BMW motorbike on patrol, be sure that the bike doesn't have a chain connecting the motor to the back wheel...I don't remember the exact name of what its called rite now but BMW never used chains up until the 1950's. Hope that's enough info for you.)

EDIT: something in the first paragraph I wanted to clarify.

9. DragonScythe

Jun 25, 2001
    Oh yea and i just remembered! Springfields only have a 5 round capacity(you might want to get a stripper clip too). Another thing! Don't do the typical 2 pistols thing. Its really inacurate and only done once in a combat situation during World War II and that was when they were really desperate and out of 7.62 mm and 7.92 rounds and the commander (who was the best shooter of that taskgroup) happened to have two .45 cal Colts. He then proceeded to get rid of a german group that was attacking his measly force. It worked, but was stupid and wasted too much ammo. Also: two hands on the gun. Even pistols even though i didn't see any problems with the selected shots but i figure that there may be some problems you might possibly have and i feel that it is neccessary that you know this (although from the looks of how well your doing currently that you probably won't have any problems). Again this is just to reinforce your historical background for your movie. I really don't want to offend people. Really really don't.

History Buff,
    Chris

10. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    My R2-G4's fire lasers that have mussle flashes. I guess that counts as another peice of non canon work from DaftMaul then... :(

11. DragonScythe

Jun 25, 2001
    For some more little tid bits of information: For an automatic (such as the stenn, the tompson, and the Grease Gun) make sure that you cg a "tracer" every five rounds. A tracer is a bullet that has a red streak to it to help aim your shots. Tracers are seen in historical documents in which a WWII plane is shooting. I don't remember ever seeing a mauser-action (bolt-action) rifle used a tracer. I don't remember a Garand using that either. Hmm... I could look that up for you if you want.

History Buff,
    Chris

12. Darth Venom

Darth Venom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 1999
    Hi all,

First off let me re-state that I really like what you've done so far TJA, keep it up.

Now, to get down to the nitty-gritty. As stated earlier I'm a WWII reenactor, and I study WWII waaayyy too much (even took a course in college). Anyway, down to business:

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS MUZZLE FLASHES IN A REAL LIFE COMBAT SITUATION!!!"

True, however there IS a tell-tale "burst" from a gun, and for this reason most WWII rifles eventually had "flash suppressors" developed for them. I think for a film these are perfectly ok.

"anyways they should all be using M1 Garands by now only snipers were using springfields"

If I'm not mistaken weren't Springfields standard issue until '43 or '44?

"Also, the "point man" should also be using a Tompson sub-machine gun"

To my understanding this is absolutely correct.

"Germans never wore lugers. Only Commanders did because it was a badge of rank. SS and Gastapo were also allowed lugers"

Actually, there were alot of German army personnel who wore pistols. The Kompanie Chef, Squad leader(trüppenführer), and Machine gunner were all issued sidearms. These consisted of either the 1908 (P08) Luger pistol, or the 1938 Walther pistol (P38). Visually, they are indistiguishable to the untrained eye. I personally use a P38 when in the field (I'm the #1 man in a MG team).

"If this is late in the war (which it can't be because Nazi Germany was reduced to Berlin by the time this event i'm about to speak of happened)"

Define "late", the Ardennes offensive was in winter '44, on the southern front they were still fighting in Italy as late as Nov. '44.

"stermgavare"

it's Stürmgewehr (sch-term-ge-vere)

"As well introduce certain features of the nazi army such as (sorry don't know the real name of it) "the-scariest-sound-you-ever-heard" machine gun (another late in the war development) in which it was next to impossible to tell between different bullets being fired"

Well, there were 2 really, the MG-34 (I own one) and the MG-42. Both belt-fed 8mm automatic rifles. When use as HMGs(heavy machine guns) the 34 had a rate-of-fire of 800-1000 rds. a min. The 42 was 900-1200 rds. a min.

"Also, if you ever have a scene in which there is a german riding a BMW motorbike on patrol, be sure that the bike doesn't have a chain connecting the motor to the back wheel...I don't remember the exact name of what its called rite now but BMW never used chains up until the 1950's."

it's called a Zundapp

"A tracer is a bullet that has a red streak to it to help aim your shots"

Actually, a tracer has Phosphorus on it and that, when heated, glows thus producing the tracer "effect".
    Bolt-action rifles such as the Mauser 98K, M1 Garand, Springfield .03, etc. did not use tracers. Only the MG's did (34, 42, BAR, 50 cal., etc.)

I'm just trying to help out. If anyone has any questions regarding WWII and the German forces please feel free to PM me.

13. DragonScythe

Jun 25, 2001
    hey man this is off the top of my head here don't expect real spelling if you expected that i would've remembered or looked the real thing up...sheesh...it was four months ago when i saw the documentary. And artillery were allowed pistols not machine gunners...

and when i say "late" WWII i mean late...as in BERLIN like i said

EDIT:
    As for the "tracer" deal i'm using lamens terms over here...if you wanna get real technical lemme get my books on the subject and lets get down to business.

(sorry to get defensive. I just do that for some reason)

EDIT 2:
    Garands were being issued more than the mauser-esque springfield because they were faster...springfield's were still technically standard issue, but Garands were more common among the soldiers because they were favored over springfields. Like i said, sprinfields were still used by the snipers because they were severly more accurate. Garands were also being used because they stood up to weather far better than the springfields.

VIVE LA HISTORY CHANNEL!!

EDIT 3 (i really should stop doing this):
    What i meant was the connection from the engine block to the actually drive wheel was not a chain but was actually a drive shaft or rod like on cars. I don't remember why...

EDIT 4:
    FINE take a college course. I'm only in high school man...That's not cool.

14. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    There's always a bigger fish :)

15. DragonScythe

Jun 25, 2001
    It's amazing what you can find in Big 5 adds. They still sell Springfields!! I know that's weird for me to say but I was looking at the paper just now and saw it was on sale. I immidiately thought of this thread...It's so odd how everything returns back to TFN posts...I need help...

Don't expect high quality WWII rifles from Big 5. Look for a real rifle shop. Although Big 5 has an interesting selection it is not really devoted to WWII rifles, and therefore you won't get the best quality of stuff.

16. Darth Venom

Jun 6, 1999
    whoah, Dragon, no need to get all defensive bud. Nobody is attacking you.

As for the spelling, I was just trying to help you out.

As for "late in the war" as I said "define late" I wasn't sure what you meant and was just trying to clarify.

As for MG'ers not being issued pistols I'm sorry but you're just wrong on this one. The standard M-gunner equipment was the following:

Belt
    Replacement parts pouch (with parts)
    Bread bag
    Bread
    Small meat can
    Fat Can
    Water bottle
    PISTOL
    Gas mask can w/gas mask
    Helmet
    Zeltbahn (tent quarter)
    Short spade
    MG-34 or MG-42
    Total weight going into cambat is close to 50lbs.

As for the Garands, I didn't disagree with you I actually asked a question "IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN WEREN'T SPRINGFIELDS STANDARD ISSUE UNTIL '43 OR '44?"

You shouldn't be so quick to go on the defensive like that...sheesh. Let me just say that my American WWII history is limited, I admit that. However, if we're going to be talking WWII German military history I can, without a book and would love to "get down to business".

Daft, LOL nice one :)

17. DragonScythe

Jun 25, 2001
    I don't think they were issued lugers but they may have been issued the wather like you said. I kno artillery got a luger cuz they had long barrel versions. Again sorry for getting defensive...I'm only a little crazy. I'm not too good on my WWII history, but if you want to get into Cold War Warsaw Block i'll talk with you. WWII isn't my big subject anyways just trying to share my really bad (and sometimes as shown wrong or miscalculated) knowledge with people.

18. DragonScythe

Jun 25, 2001
    Hey venom by own one you mean as in you have a class 3 lisence?

EDIT:
    I mean machine gun by "own one"

19. Darth Venom

Jun 6, 1999
    Dragon,

My understanding on the luger issue is that early in the war they were a general use weapon, but later on ('42,'43, etc.) it was a "you'll get what we give you" situation, and the majority were the P38's.

As for Cold War/Warsaw Bloc history, I will defer to your expertise. I readily admit that on that subject my knowledge is no better than the average high-school student's.

Actually, the MG-34 that I have is a "gas gun", and thereby doesn't need a Class III license. It operates on Oxygen/Propane and a spark plug inside, when fired it has a muzzle flash, kick, and bang, just like the real one. I got mine from the same guy who built the ones in SPR.

I do have an actual Mauser 98k, and also own a P38 BFO pistol.

20. DragonScythe

Jun 25, 2001
    Yea i should've checked the stats before asking but i wanted to know somebody who had a class III besides a militia.

I just figured anything with that high of a rate of fire would've required a class III

21. Seth-of-the-Sith

Seth-of-the-Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 28, 2001
    Hey, loved the video Bryan. The acting wasn't bad in my opinion, it was pretty good actually. And was that the camera mans shadow in there. ;) Anyways, I can't wait to see the movie and listen to all the sound fx :p

22. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    You two do realize that they have already wrapped up filming? ;)

Chris
    Blissfully unaware

23. DragonScythe

Jun 25, 2001
    well i was having fun talking to someone about history...jeez sorry if they're already done...my original comment was to historical accuracy (a main problem in Hollywood these days) and i was responding to and agreeing with Venom about the whole thing with the "Hollywood" look of some of the shots. Just cuz they wrapped it doesn't mean that we have to stop talking about what they could do to tweak some small problems...although most of my argument was leaning on the tactical/muzzle flash side of the argument.

24. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    Ok. I wasn't criticising you. :)

Just to let you know, nobody here will criticize you, and if they do it is only constructively. It is not meant to offend. TAC may get a little off in the red zone sometimes, but he doesn't mean anything by it. ;)

Chris
    I have a theory.. a theory that TAC is really Roger Ebert.

25. Darth Venom

Jun 6, 1999
    Well if they've finished filming that's cool. I(and others as well) were just trying to help out in whatever way we could. Remember, that when it comes to making films, you can always go back and "add" stuff even after the initial shooting is done.

Anyway, "The Last Patrol" looks interesting and I for one look forward to TJA letting us know when it's available to view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.