main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[OT] The Lord of the Rings: Sample game

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Anonymous_Jedi, Jan 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Question: I was wondering, how many cards do you have in your deck, since there doesn't seem to be a limit on the # of cards as long as you have a even amount of Shadow and Fellowship cards.

2. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Maneuver Phase:

I pass.

I have about 72 cards in this particular deck. I went 2-2 with it at a local tournament this past weekend.

3. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Ok, I'm back, I have a couple questions to ask, then I'll post my response in a couple minutes, because frankly right now I need food :p

In a multiplayer game.. do all players' minions attack the fellowship of the current player? If not, how do you choose which minions attack?

Is the only reason I have a shadow phase twice b/c you pressed on?

EDIT: Added 2nd question

4. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
  5. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Alright, I'm here now, too. I can only stay for an hour, but I can pick back up at 7:00PM PST, if you're around then.

Answers:

In a multiplayer game.. do all players' minions attack the fellowship of the current player? If not, how do you choose which minions attack?
    In a multiplayer game each of your opponents get a Shadow Phase during your turn. For example, if there were three players, during the first player's turn the other two players would each get a Shadow phase after the first's Fellowship phase.

May sound unfair, but remember the twilight pool is limited. If the first Shadow player uses up the whole pool, the second player gets nothing. Maneuver, Archery, Assignment, Skirmish and Regroup phases are virtually identical in multiplayer vs. 2-player.

Is the only reason I have a shadow phase twice b/c you pressed on?
    Yes. If I had stopped at site 2, my turn would have been over, and you would become the Free Peoples player and I the Shadow player.

Okay, we both pass during Maneuver phase, so now we go to Archery phase.

I pass.

6. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    I pass, I have 2 archers, making my total 2.

2 wounds :)

EDIT: Sorry I took a while to get back, was doing homework while waiting for you.

7. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001

I put one wound on Pippin and one on Gimli.

Assignment Phase:

I have no special Assignment actions ... I pass.

8. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    I pass as well.

9. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001

I assign:

Gandalf to the Marksman
    Gimli to Marksman w/ Scimitar

Skirmish phase:

Gandalf: I pass

10. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    How much extra is gandalf for his GT?

How much strength does gimli have again?

Also, are events placed in discard or dead pile?

11. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Hehe. Good questions. My Gandalf's game text says he is strength +1 for each of these races I can spot in my fellowship: Dwarf, Elf, Hobbit and Man. I have a Dwarf, a Hobbit and a Man, so I add 3 to Gandalf's strength, making him 9 (he only starts at 6).

Gimli is strength 6. He currently has no modifiers on him.

The only thing that gets discarded to your "dead" pile are dead companions and allies. Shadow minions always go to your discard pile. Events and conditions ... and possessions ... always go to your discard pile.

12. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Thought you'd catch me off gaurd with Gandalf's GT didn't ya ;)

Ok, so what happens if there is a tie in strength, anything?

Skirmish actions, do you do urs first always, or can I do one and then you react to it? (I think you told me this already, not sure though.)

13. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    If there is a tie in strength, the Shadow minion wins.

The Free Peoples player always gets to choose the order of skirmishes, and always gets first action in skirmishes. I chose Gandalf's skirmish, and my first action was to pass.

14. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Does this mean it includes itself or just others? "..Orc strength +1 for each other * Orc you spot..." (from Denizens Enraged)

If it does not include the orc your adding to, I pass, if it does, I use it.

15. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    It's +1 for each "other" Orc, so no, it won't help here.

You pass, Gandalf wins the skirmish, the Marksman takes a wound, but that depletes his vitality, so he's gone -- discard him.

Now Gimli: I pass.

16. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    I pass.

Marksman: 7+2
    Gimli: 6

Gimli takes a wound... that marksman survives yet another round.. guess he likes to live :p

17. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Okay, Gimli takes a wound.

End of Skirmish phase, now the Regroup phase. You even up to 8 cards (discard one card first if you want). I can't move on, so I even up, too. Also... you discard all minions in play.

I discard a Goblin Scimitar and draw 6.

So this turn I made it to site 3 with

Frodo (2 burdens, no wounds)
    Gandalf
    Gimli (2 wounds)
    Pippin (2 wounds)
    Aragorn (1 wound)

Now it's your turn. Yeah! Finally! :)

First thing we do is reset the twilight pool. Then you start your Fellowship phase.

I gotta go now. Do your Fellowship phase and when I get back on line tonight I'll do my Shadow phase.

See ya!

18. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    I discard all minions?! That sucks... oh wait....thats why they haven't put a limit on deck sizes, duh :p

K, I'll post it in a bit, at 7:00PST it'll be 10pm here, so I'll be going to bed around that time, I'm in EST. I'm going to go ahead and finish my homework and then post it so you can post yours later tonight.

19. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Ok, here goes (I already drew a card to even my hand to 8.)

I put down Boromir, Son of Denethor (3) and Hobbit Sword (on Frodo obviously) (1)

Don't tell me there is a limit to 1 possesion...

20. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    No, but there is a limit of one type of possession per character. For example, you've given Frodo a Hobbit Sword, which is a "Possession - Hand Weapon". Frodo can not carry or use another Hand Weapon (you can't give him two Hobbit Swords) but he can carry other possessions.

So you have spent 4, putting 4 tokens in the twilight pool. You've finished your fellowship actions, so you move to the next site.

Site 2 is already on the table -- Ettenmoors, so you move your marker to that site. Add 2 to the twilight pool for the site, and 3 for your fellowship (three companions), making 9 total.

My Shadow Phase:

I play a Goblin Scavenger (3+2).
    I use the Scavenger's gt to deploy the Goblin Scimitar from my discard pile (0) and draw a card.
    I play They Are Coming (3).

That leaves 1 in the pool.

End of Shadow Phase.

21. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Ok, I just got home from work, sorry. I haven't had anything to eat since 6am, so I'll brb. (It'll probably take you a bit to get here as well anyways.)

22. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    I pass on maneuver

23. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    I'm sorry to interrupt your game but this is so damn awesome. I've had trouble following the game and this is definitely helping and the questions are the same questions I have! Carry on. Just waiting to learn more! This rules guys

24. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Lol, you didn't interupt. That's exactly why I wanted to do this (one of the reasons anyways) because it gives the newer players a better understanding of the game than just being stuck with a bunch of rules and some cards. This game is lots of fun, and this was the deciding factor. I'm going to be getting some booster packs tommorow (I only bought a starter deck to start off with.)

Glad you have gotten something from this!

25. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    I'm one of those guys who goes all out on something.

Example: Saw Young Jedi Cards

Result: 3 booster boxes of Jedi Council, 3 booster boxes of Menace of Darth Maul, 1 box of Duel Of The Fates, 2 boxes of Young Jedi Reflections.

lm*ao

with LOTR, I got both of the basic starters and probably 3/4 of a booster box. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.