main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

(OT) The Quest for the Best OS

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Chris_F, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20x6

20x6 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    If you want FCP you have to get a mac. Shake is the effects software. I think right now you get a couple thousand dollars off if you buy it with Maya.

2. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    Man, where do these newbs get all this money for all that software?
    And BTW, is 3DMax available for Macs? I didn't think it was. If that's true, you won't be able to use that and the FCP you spent all that money on. Unless you have enough for a good PC and Mac that is. But you're so rich you can probably afford that, right?

3. Chris_F

Chris_F Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2003
    I'm may be a newbe on this thread, but I'm not new to the art of movie making.

And I'm not rich either. I've just been saving up for a long long time.

I own: Photoshop, Premiere, and after effects. I'm looking into getting 3DS or Maya. And as far as FCP, I don't need that so Pc isn't out of the race.
    Any more answers?

P.S. Is there a Mac version of 3DS? I hope so, just so I have more choices.

4. 20x6

20x6 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Man, where do these newbs get all this money for all that software?

Company buys it - pays me to use it.

It's good to be out of school!

5. Krapitino

Krapitino Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Does anyone here use Digital Fusion? I ordered a demo disc after seeing it in action at the DV show in NYC, and I gotta say... well, words cannot describe it.

Think After Effects on steroids. This is the compositor and 2D effects package they used in The Matrix. It also has 3D power sufficient to do simple ship animations with a simpler interface than a 3D package (plus there's only the single in-compositor render).

The downside is that it costs $5000 for the whole package, with the base at $1000 and modules (extra compositing, 3D, titling, plugins, etc.) going as extra add-ons.

6. Chris_F

May 8, 2003
    Ok, after great consideration I have decided to go with a Mac. Thanks to everyone who answered.

I still have one last question. Is 3DS or Maya compatible with Macintosh?

7. JediDrew

JediDrew Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2002
    I have Windows Me

Mistake edition as I have heard...

i am upgrading to XP pro.

8. effstops

effstops Jedi Master star 3

Feb 20, 2003
    Yay! You chose a mac! I am pretty sure that Maya is available for Macintosh, but I dunno about 3ds Max.

9. Chris_F

May 8, 2003
    Yea, Macs rock! If you don't think so yet go here: Clickable

10. sithgoblin3

sithgoblin3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    Even though the discussion is more or less over, let me reaffirm for everyone:

DO NOT GET WINDOWS ME!!!!!

I have it, and it crashes EVERY DAY!!! Usually several times a day.

I am saving my pennies so I can upgrade to Windows 2000.

Also, congrats on buying a Mac. When I buy a new computer you can bet it will be a Mac. I got to use a G4 last year at school to edit my art major work on.... let's just say it converted me to the Mac side :D.

I don't particually care for iMacs though.

11. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    iMacs are okay for everyday computer usage. Which is what most people do. For us though, they're not that great.

Also, Maya is for Macs. I've gotten to use it here at school all year, but I'm still not very good with it. For some reason, they don't keep the manuals for the software in the media library in the medai library. They're somewhere else, so I never got to read any of them.
    Actually, if anyone could point me in the direction of a good book for Maya it would be much appreciated.

12. Chris_F

May 8, 2003
    Try Amazon books.

And for my question about 3DS, I don't think they have a MAC version yet. I saw some emulators that are supposed to allow you to work in a Windows environment. Could this work with 3DS, or do any of you have a better idea?

13. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Screw 3ds Max, go with Maya or Lightwave... they're cheaper and better.

14. unclepain

unclepain Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    Yeah- there's no Max or 3DS for Mac, but there's Maya, Lightwave, Electric Image, Cinema 4D and possibly a few others. I used Lightwave and Electric Image and they were pretty powerful. You don't even want to think about running Max or 3DS with Virtual PC on the Mac. The performance would be horrible and some of the keyboard commands don't map right.

Glad you've made your decision and I do love the Macintosh, but get ready to spend some money.

One last thing... I recommend you wait to purchase until after the WWDC in June. Steve Jobs may be announcing new PowerMacs with a 64bit IMB PPC970 processor. Some suppossed benchmarks have leaked out and the performance of the new chips spanks the G4s into next year. It is possible that nothing will be announced, but word on the street is these amazing new processor will be out sometime in the next few months.

15. Azzgunther

Azzgunther Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Next few months?

I don't think so. Even if Apple announced the new systems today they wouldn't be available for shipping for a few months.

IMO it's more realistic to expect the 970's will be announced in fall and shipping by Christmas.

They would be worth waiting for in many respects. However, I went a head and purchased the Dual-Processor 1.42 ghz system a month ago and have had nothing but joy with it. If you're looking to get a new system, I would say go ahead now and enjoy it. Just my opinion though :)

16. unclepain

unclepain Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    Well, assuming Apple has learned from their past mistakes of announcing Hardware before they had enough inventory on hand, and also assuming the rumors of Apple's manufacturers already getting deliery of the 970 chips and motherboards Rumor of 970 delivery then I think it is entirely possible to see something ship in the next couple months. If nothing is announced at WWDC, then I'd say go for what ever's on the market now. Of course if you need something now you don't have alot of options, but if you can wait a little bit longer I think we're gonna see a revolution in Mac performance.

Of course this is all unsubstantiated rumor.
    :)

17. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    (I heard someone say something about how computers can share processors? Could this speed things up?)

You can use network rendering, which I've never used before, but I assume it uses the processors of multiple computers on a network to speed up the render and output it to one hard drive. That's my understanding of it.

Also.... I was thinking about getting Windows 2000... I'm on XP Home right now.... but I read that XP is the only PC OS that supports hyperthreading!! :(

Hmm.......

EDIT: Just for the record, my XP rarely freezes on me.

18. Chris_F

May 8, 2003
    Where did you dig up this old fossil? lol

Thanks, might look in to it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.